PDA

View Full Version : Is Elm any good for furniture?

Rob Will
02-07-2007, 8:32 PM
In another thread, the question came up as to whether or not Elm is any good for furniture making. Jim suggested that I do a SMC search but so far, I have not found anything about using Elm.

Anyone know of any links, posts or have any experience with Elm?

Rob

(Thanks Jim)

Ted Christiansen
02-07-2007, 8:44 PM
Rob,

I have used a bit of it that I milled myself - some on my Jet 18" bandsaw and some with a chainsaw mill.

It moves alot while drying. It is very strong and tough. The color is brown and the grain similar to ash. I was using some just this past weekend and observed that quartersawn elm is more pleasant looking than plainsawn.

If you have access to some elm, why not give it a try?

Ted

Gary Herrmann
02-07-2007, 8:45 PM
I have heard that it isn't. Not terribly stable. Moves a lot. I asked because we're going to take an elm down sometime this year, and was wondering about getting lumber out of it.

thomas prevost
02-07-2007, 9:03 PM
ditto on the movement issue. Very pretty wood, but customers complain it moves too much for furniture. Had a floor made of the wood buckle during a very humid summer.

Ray Klear
02-07-2007, 9:07 PM
I mostly lurk here. But I have done a lot with red elm. It needs to be stickered closely and air dried with lots of weight on it. It does move a lot. On the other hand IMHO it works great and turns well. And it takes a great clear finish. never stained any :) Once it is dry and made into furniture it does well. I have stuff made that sets in my wood heated house durning the summer and hot during the summer and it shows no sign of coming apart. ITs a little hard on blades

Anyway I like it and would like to find some more. I'm about out.:)

Cody Colston
02-08-2007, 12:08 AM
I've never used it for furniture (only turnings) but I sawed this up from some short logs I had laying behind the shop. They came from a tree that got blown down last spring during a storm.

I hope to use them on Krenov-type cabinet doors when they are dry.

scott spencer
02-08-2007, 6:02 AM
Red elm is beautiful wood IMHO. It has the contrast of oak and ash, but has a secondary "ghost" grain similar to what hackberry has. It is prone to some movement, but if you let it acclimate before dimensioning it helps alot. I actually planed it, let it acclimate for a couple of days, then dimension to final...no issues. It's a stalky stringy wood that tends for fuzz more than most woods when cut, but it's also very strong.

I made two nightstands last fall that have have been fine so far.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/000_0290.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/000_0281.jpg

Rob Will
02-08-2007, 8:43 AM
Red elm is beautiful wood IMHO. It has the contrast of oak and ash, but has a secondary "ghost" grain similar to what hackberry has. It is prone to some movement, but if you let it acclimate before dimensioning it helps alot. I actually planed it, let it acclimate for a couple of days, then dimension to final...no issues. It's a stalky stringy wood that tends for fuzz more than most woods when cut, but it's also very strong.

I made two nightstands last fall that have have been fine so far.

Very Nice Scott!
Do you have a section of that work that is quartersawn?
We would like to see that too.

Thanks,
Rob

Mike Parzych
02-08-2007, 9:13 AM
Another red elm fan. BLO really brings out its unique color, and it finishes nicely. I just wish it was more readily available. When you can find it, it's usually around $2bf in these parts.

It does have the tendency to react when machined - sometimes bows easily. It used to be the wood of choice for hockey sticks which tells you something about the "springiness" that shows up when it's planed.

I would think quartersawn red elm would be very attractive, although I haven't seen it.