PDA

View Full Version : Building a segmented humador and I need some help please.

Bill Wyko
02-07-2007, 7:25 PM
I'm going to build 2 humadors. One for me and one for my Brother in law. I have some spanish cedar but I need other woods that are similar in density and contrast in color. That cedar seems like you could turn it with your finger nail. Seems very light. Any sugestions anyone?

Malcolm Tibbetts
02-07-2007, 8:55 PM
Bill, without seeing your design, it's a little hard to make suggestions. You're probably not going to be able to match the density 100%, but you should be able to come fairly close, especially with the wood right next to the cedar. A few choices are: soft maple, mahogany, walnut, and holly. With good tool work and sharp tools, you should be able to minimize sanding and therefore use denser woods. But besides the challenge of turning the surfaces and keeping them consistently smooth, you also have to contend with the unequal wood movement problem. All wood moves, but all species do not move the same percentage of their dimension. Wood movement differences between species in thinner walls will be less detectable as there will be less wood to move (the % of dimension thing). Good luck.

Jason Christenson
02-08-2007, 9:53 AM
I've been thinking about this project myself, (I love cigars) if it works out I hope you post some pics. Also, for the record, it's spelled humIdor.:D

Jason

Bill Wyko
02-08-2007, 11:36 AM
That's funny you say that. I used to spell it that way then I went into the smoke shop here in Tucson to get some Arturo Fuentes and saw it spelled with an A. I guess they were wrong:confused: Anyway, my plan for the humidor is to make 3 plates at different levels inside. As the piece gets wider as it goes up there will be a series of holes the size of the cigar. Shorter ones to the outside and longer ones to the center. they will sit on rings that go deeper into the piece. I'll make it in 2 pieces and tool a notch for a gasket. The humidifying unit will be in the lid and the gauge will be made into the top.

Jason Christenson
02-08-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm having a hard time picturing what your saying, if you have a chance to take some in progress pictures I'd like to see them. As far as the gasket, just remember that if a humidor is sealed up too well and isn't opened often enough to allow a little air circulation, you are likely to end up with a mold problem.

Jason

Bill Wyko
02-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks, I'll build that into it too. I probably won't get started until this weekend but I'll be happy to post pics of my progress.

Bill Wyko
02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Bill, without seeing your design, it's a little hard to make suggestions. You're probably not going to be able to match the density 100%, but you should be able to come fairly close, especially with the wood right next to the cedar. A few choices are: soft maple, mahogany, walnut, and holly. With good tool work and sharp tools, you should be able to minimize sanding and therefore use denser woods. But besides the challenge of turning the surfaces and keeping them consistently smooth, you also have to contend with the unequal wood movement problem. All wood moves, but all species do not move the same percentage of their dimension. Wood movement differences between species in thinner walls will be less detectable as there will be less wood to move (the % of dimension thing). Good luck.
Thanks Malcolm, I think I'll use walnut, Holly and the cedar maby a little Mahogany. I'm limited to size because I only have a Jet Mini but I think i can pull this off. Thank you for the suggestions, I'll keep you posted on my progress. I also PM'd you in regaurds to the project you spoke of. Thanks again.

TYLER WOOD
02-08-2007, 12:18 PM
If you make a third, you can send it to me.:D I am in need of one but have never thought about building one, especially a round one!!!

Personally I like CAO, La Flor Dominicana and Griffin Fuerte

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-08-2007, 1:32 PM
Can't wait to see what you come up with Bill. Sounds like a cool project.

Jason Christenson
02-08-2007, 2:30 PM
Personally I like CAO, La Flor Dominicana and Griffin Fuerte

CAO, Partagas and Indian Tabac here.