PDA

View Full Version : Attention rebate pessimists.

Dave Falkenstein
02-07-2007, 5:24 PM
A little over three weeks ago I mailed the rebate paperwork for a free Dewalt ROS, resulting from my purchase of a DW735 Planer. The ROS arrived today, packaged in a carrying case. Way to go Dewalt.

Brad Trent
02-07-2007, 5:35 PM
That is impressive. I'm always pleased when they hit the short end of the "six to eight weeks" that is the norm.

Jeffrey Schronce
02-07-2007, 6:46 PM
I am a few months and a few calls out on the $50 DeWalt rebate for the 3 base router kit. I have faxed them the same, complete information twice. I guess product rebates are handled by someone with DeWalt, whereas they confirmed they outsource the check rebates.

James Carmichael
02-07-2007, 6:46 PM
Rebate! Rebate!! Don't get me started!

Actually, that's how I got my Makita ROS, when I bought an LS1221 CMS.

Billy Chambless
02-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I am a few months and a few calls out on the $50 DeWalt rebate for the 3 base router kit. I have faxed them the same, complete information twice. I guess product rebates are handled by someone with DeWalt, whereas they confirmed they outsource the check rebates.

I had a funny feeling about that particular rebate. The form says something like :No PO Box delivery." For a CHECK? Out here in the sticks, the PO Box is the only way I get mail, so I called Dewalt and they said that the check is delivered via UPS. That seemed bizarre to me, but I gave it a shot with my street address. It's only been 3 weeks, so I'm not worried yet.

But maybe I should be. :(

Al Wasser
02-09-2007, 11:22 AM
If it says rebate, I go somewhere else. I've had it. They are the biggest scam going. They always have a gotcha. They should make a law against them

Jeffrey Makiel
02-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Al...I whole-heatedly agree!
-Jeff

Paul Wingert
02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm the same way. A rebate no longer influences my decision to buy. I've had so many that never showed up. It's too much of a hassle to keep copies of everything, etc.

Tim Malyszko
02-09-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm the same way. A rebate no longer influences my decision to buy. I've had so many that never showed up. It's too much of a hassle to keep copies of everything, etc.

I took advantage of this rebate and got me check within 3 weeks.

In all honesty, I've followed every rebate I've submitted to a Tee and have yet to not receive any rebate I qualified for and took advantage of.

It's all about following the fine print.

David G Baker
02-09-2007, 12:45 PM
I stay on top of any rebates that I am promised and have never missed getting one. I save all of the rebate information, wait the standard 6 to 8 weeks then start pestering them and show them no mercy. Most of my rebates are sent from a company that is totally removed from the original seller. I do let rebates influence my purchases especially if it is a substantial amount. "A penny saved is a penny earned" or something like that. More bucks for more tools.
David B

Don Bullock
02-09-2007, 2:30 PM
I'm planning on testig the Steel City rebate system this month. We'll see how well this "new" company does.;)

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 3:30 PM
I've generally had good luck with rebates on most things, including tools. In fact, most of the original Jet tools I bought all had very nice rebates. The one time I've been burned on a rebate was computer memory related and as it turns out, is quite common relative to the purchasing source. For that reason, I never do business with Tiger Direct anymore nor will I buy a Kingston brand memory device. Even with photocopied proof that every single requirement was followed to the letter, including purchase date, and two submissions, they refused to honor a rebate.

Paul Wingert
02-09-2007, 3:50 PM
I took advantage of this rebate and got me check within 3 weeks.

In all honesty, I've followed every rebate I've submitted to a Tee and have yet to not receive any rebate I qualified for and took advantage of.

It's all about following the fine print.

I've gotten a lot of them back. Actually the big tool companies are better than electronics stuff. I don't think I ever got ripped off on a tool one.

But if the choice is for an item for $100 with a $50 rebate or a product for $65 and no rebate, I pick the no rebate one if all things are equal.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2007, 3:53 PM
Last fall I bought a Jet 17" dp with a rebate. I mailed it in......6 weeks later..new angle grinder sitting on the back steps UPS delivered...

David G Baker
02-09-2007, 5:18 PM
I've generally had good luck with rebates on most things, including tools. In fact, most of the original Jet tools I bought all had very nice rebates. The one time I've been burned on a rebate was computer memory related and as it turns out, is quite common relative to the purchasing source. For that reason, I never do business with Tiger Direct anymore nor will I buy a Kingston brand memory device. Even with photocopied proof that every single requirement was followed to the letter, including purchase date, and two submissions, they refused to honor a rebate.
Jim,
Tiger Direct has a terrible reputation in some areas. I will check their site for pricing. I use Compgeeks once in a while. I have had equipment problems and they have taken care of the problem promptly. I also shop Newegg, they have good prices once in a while.
David B

Randal Stevenson
02-10-2007, 6:22 PM
If it says rebate, I go somewhere else. I've had it. They are the biggest scam going. They always have a gotcha. They should make a law against them

Rhode Island passed a law to do just that. If I remember it correctly, they modeled it after some other states (East coast) law.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-10-2007, 7:56 PM
I've recently been burned with a new Epson printer from Buy.com. Did everything they asked with careful attention and they still denied me. Their failure to honor the rebate increased the cost of the printer by 30%. Luckily, it was not an expensive printer.

-Jeff :)

Dewayne Reding
02-10-2007, 10:11 PM

I'm with you on Tiger Direct. I received the wrong memory from them a while back. Attempted to return a sealed and unopened package. The guy literally laughed at me when I politely requested an exchange for the correct stuff. They'll never get another dime from me.

I've had very good luck with rebates overall, but you do have to send them exactly what they ask for.

Ryan Myers
02-22-2007, 7:17 PM
I purchased the Dewalt 735 Planer from Lowes about three weeks ago. I promptly mailed in my rebate printed on the Lowes sales receipt. I get a postcard today from Dewalt stating that this retailer is no longer participating in this promotion. Yet they still have the signage in the store displaying this promotion. I am tempted to take the postcard into Lowes and tell them if they don't give me a sander that I will return the planer and purchase it elsewhere. This promotion is partly the reason I chose this planer. I guess I should have spent a little more and bought a 15" Grizzly. Any one else with the same experience on this item?

Nancy Laird
02-22-2007, 7:41 PM
I'm planning on testig the Steel City rebate system this month. We'll see how well this "new" company does.;)

Don, we bought a SCT planer in mid-December and got our rebate check on 2/12. The rebate check on the SCT jointer should be coming in the next couple or three weeks (submitted 1/23/07). Not only that, but when LOML called Steel City on another matter, he was told that they had upped the rebate amount of one of the machines and owed him another $100.00!:D They WILL treat you right. And...if you ever have any issues with Steel City, call and ask for Larry--he's the guru around there. But don't be surprised if it's during the lunch hour and Scott Box himself answers the phone.

Nancy

Dave Falkenstein
02-22-2007, 7:56 PM
Since I started this thread I have received two more rebates. I bought a flash memory stick at CompUSA and got the rebate check within a month. I bought some computer software from an online academic software outfit and got that rebate within 5 weeks. Interesting how some people have bad luck with rebates. I cannot remember ever having difficulty getting a rebate I submitted.

Gary Keedwell
02-22-2007, 8:06 PM
Loml & I have had excellent luck with rebates. We just got 2 checks yesterday for $50 each, from Verizon for our new cell phones. Only took a few weeks. Sometimes we get checks that we completely forgot about.
sometimes you have to spend the time to dot the "i"s and cross the t"s, but we always get the checks.

Gary K.:)