PDA

View Full Version : Framing nailer help needed..

Jerry Olexa
02-07-2007, 2:33 PM
Plan to put up some walls in the basement shop. Thought it would be a good time to get a framing nailer. ( I framed my cabin a few years back with my trusty Hammer and 16D nails and my arm is still tired). I have both finish and brad nailers and a PC pancake compressor.
My questions are: What is the best Framing Nailer for me (I'll be used it only ocassionally as a hobbyist)? Best place to buy?(They seem to be in the $200-300 range)?
Of what importance are the degrees of the gun itself? I've seen 21,22,28 etc and are the nails readily available? And Lastly, best one for weight/power ratio. I have a bad back(and Knee:D ) so lightest one w sufficient power would be my goal. lmk your thoughts...thanks

Greg Sznajdruk
02-07-2007, 2:44 PM
Jerry:

I have the Stanley Bostitch Coil Framing Nailer . I like this nailer because of it's size, it can get into tight spaces like when toe tailing framing on 12 inch centers. The nails are available at HD.

Greg

Jim Becker
02-07-2007, 2:49 PM
I have one of the lower-end Senco framing guns. It's a full-head nailer (so there is no issue with any codes like there may be with clipped-head nailers in some jurisdictions). My only beef has been it's pretty sensitive and will double nail on me...there is a fix, but I haven't got off my duff to contact Senco for the instructions to set it to "single shot" permanently.

Steve Schoene
02-07-2007, 2:56 PM
I've got a Porter Cable. I haven't used it yet myself, but it must be OK because the friend I lent it to a few days ago hasn't called to complain or ask questions. That's therefore a strong recommendation -- or it it. (Well my Porter Cable finishing nailer has worked flawlessly.)

Steve Milito
02-07-2007, 3:02 PM
I have a Hitachi NR83 full round head nailer. If I were to buy a gun today, I'd look for one with a 'Selective Actuation' so you can switch from seqential to contact firing.

Art Mann
02-07-2007, 5:06 PM
Don't laugh! I usually borrow a Harbor Freight nailer that belongs to a good friend. Between him, me and several other borrowers, we have shot a few thousand nails through the gun with no problems. How much did it cost? I think he gave the princely sum of $89. It is the model that can use several type of nails. No more often than I use a nailer, I would definitely buy the Harbor Freight.

Art

Greg Cole
02-07-2007, 5:10 PM
I don't know the specific model of mine (been about 6 months since it's been in my hands), but I have a Paslode that I have never had an issue with. Then again I have a Hitachi coil roofing nailer and a coil siding nailer & both have been flawless, inclusing letting some friends less than adept with tools borrow them. I've done 4 roofs with mine and had nail jams for reasons not the guns fault.

Jerry Olexa
02-07-2007, 5:20 PM
Don't laugh! I usually borrow a Harbor Freight nailer that belongs to a good friend. Between him, me and several other borrowers, we have shot a few thousand nails through the gun with no problems. How much did it cost? I think he gave the princely sum of $89. It is the model that can use several type of nails. No more often than I use a nailer, I would definitely buy the Harbor Freight.

Art

Art: I think that is their 6 in 1 model and about $129 now. Good reviews by owners. I do like the adaptability feature of diff degrees and both clipped and round headnails. No I'm not laughing. Thanks

Thomas Williams
02-07-2007, 5:24 PM
I have the Paslode F-350 as well as the Impulse guns. Years of service with no problems.

Bailey John
02-07-2007, 6:30 PM
I picked up a PC FR350 used at pawn shop 3+ years ago. Framed a basement, 8x8 shed and several work benches. It goes strong still and is usually rated as well as Senco, Paslode or Bostitch. Look around for slightly used to save some $$$. Usually easy to refurb seals and such.

JayStPeter
02-07-2007, 6:31 PM
I got a PC refurb from Amazon because it was a good deal. It works well, with the same complaint as Jim and his Senco ... same solution also I believe.

Don Bergren
02-07-2007, 8:41 PM
The PC FR350 is the big gun around here. I bought it in Sept. of 2000 and it's been a great gun for our needs around the house. We built a deck with it the first two days I owned it. Then a week later we jacked up an outbuilding and framed a whole new floor system under it. We've also done a fence job, as well as numerous other things around the place. It only gets occasional use in this home owner situation, but everytime we need it, it's ready to go. I'd buy another in an instant.

Pat Zabinski
02-07-2007, 8:48 PM
I had the Porter Cable full-head nailer, and I loved it. However, nails have been getting difficult to buy in our area. When I first bought it, six different stores carried the full-head nails, and I liked the idea of the extra holding power. However, over time, all the local stores stopped carrying the full-head nails (other than 16d common), so I had to mail order everything. I got tired of being incompatible with everyone else, so I ditched it and purchased a clipped-head nailer and am happy again.

Two points:
* the Porter Cable models work quite well, stand up to a lot of abuse, and are reasonably priced
* be sure to do some shopping for nails in your area to see what is easiest to get, particularly the less common nails like the ring-shank, stainless, and zinc-coated nails

Luciano Burtini
02-07-2007, 8:56 PM
My questions are: What is the best Framing Nailer for me (I'll be used it only ocassionally as a hobbyist)? Best place to buy?(They seem to be in the $200-300 range)? ...thanks

Personally, if I was only going to use it occasionally, I would choose the cordless variety (no power packs required either) that shoots EVERY style of nail imagineable. The price too is very reasonable:

http://www.estwing.com/images/nvgclaw.jpg
:D

Andrew Catron
02-07-2007, 9:31 PM
I have both the Paslode F350S and the impulse cordless. Both guns take round or clipped head paper coallated (sp) nails (paslode prostrip) available at the BORGS. Never had a problem with either.

David Wambolt
02-07-2007, 10:02 PM
I have three framing nailers. A Bostitch NR83-MCN full round, a Porter Cable FR350A full round, and a Makita AN942 clipped head. If I want to bust out a lot of framing, I reach for the Makita AN942. It drives the nails nicely, is light weight and feels like a quality gun. Clipped head packs more nails into the magazine which means less frequent reloadings.

If I'm doing more nailing that will be seen on the exterior, then I use the FR350A. It's a quality gun that shoots nails with less recoil. It's not a MAG gun so it weighs a bit more, but I like it a lot. The full rounds look better than the clipped heads on exposed areas. However the plastic holding the nail strips together can get to be a pain when you're nailing exterior boards and you don't want that stuff showing. I often times have to dig it out with a screw driver or needle nose. That's another advantage to the Makita, the nails are held together with paper.

The Bostitch gun is like brand new because I never use it. My gun came from Amazon and after about five uses, it would start firing a nail when connected to compressed air. The first time I about put a nail into my shoe. It does it everytime after it sits for a while. So it sort of irked me that it crapped out with that problem so early on that I only pull it out when I'm short a nailer. I usually set it up to drive nails into stakes with 3/8" of the nail still exposed so you can pull them with a hammer at a later time.

For an all around good nailer, I'd go with the Porter Cable FR350A.

Jim Becker
02-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Personally, if I was only going to use it occasionally, I would choose the cordless variety (no power packs required either) that shoots EVERY style of nail imagineable. The price too is very reasonable:

I like the idea and even own the tool...but my wrists and hands can't take even occasional hammering of large nails. If I do...the next day I can't use my right hand for anything important. So I bought a framing gun for incidental home improvement for situations when nails are preferred over screws.

Jerry Olexa
02-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Good info. I'm learning the pitfalls like supply/availability of nails and the weight factor.
I'm still a bit confused as to the different angles of the guns and why. Going in, I was interested in the PC350 but I held one yesterday @ HD and those are heavy and a little cumbersome. I'm not sure a young guy like me:) can handle that. The top brands seem to be PC, Paslode, Senco, Makita etc. Now if I could only figure out the angle angle, I'd be OK:) Thanks

David Wambolt
02-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Well if weight is a problem and you just want to drive nails faster without having to use a hammer, check out a palm nailer. I have one from Porter Cable, the PN650. I have to tell you, it makes driving nails a breeze. Stick the nail in, press down and the impacting forces drive the nail in very nicely. It will drive a 16D like it was nothing. Then you don't need to worry about special nails - just use what you've got already.

I didn't think it would be a useful tool, until I got one. Doing metal connectors is a piece of cake. Working under my house doing a remodel, I had to add in new floor joists when patching the floor. It made nailing in tight quarters (think 12-16" crawl space) very easy.

Wayne Ashing
02-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Another Vote for The Porter-Cable, I bought it to build my first shop 12x24 and framing iside my half of 30x40 Pole Barn 25x30 and many other projects. I am on my 3rd or 4th box of 3- 31/2" clipped head nails and 2nd box of 2" ring shank Gal. nails. The only jam I had was when I hit a Hurricane Strap under some heavy duty hard wood siding! My fault, part of the learning curve? A couple of squirts of oil before I hook it up to the hose and It's good to go!! Once you Frame with one you will not want to go back. Especially if you work alone and wish you were an octopus to hold Align and start a nail while hanging on the side of a ladder!!

Rick Peek
02-07-2007, 11:06 PM
For 75 bucks,I bought 28 degree nailer from harbor frieght.
Its has been flawless as has the 2 brad nailers I bought
for 19 bucks each. 4000 square ft of knotty pine and
not 1 nail jamb.

Bernhard Lampert
02-07-2007, 11:07 PM
I got the Paslode Impulse framing nailer. Acquired it 3 years ago, when I started building my house.
Pros: No air hose to drag around, very dependable, hardly ever misfires, in 3 years this gun has never jammed, one fuel catridge lasted a day framing all day long. I dropped the gun from the roof (25' free fall) onto a pile of OSB>> didn't do any damage, save for some scratches. Has not needed nor received any maintenance. Angled magazine lets you get into tight spaces. Paslode's off-set full round nail heads meet code, some other clipped hat do not. Build-in hook can be changed for left and right handed use. Light weight.
Cons: Does not bump fire; so I wouldn't want to use it working as framer full time. Cost of nails is slightly higher than others. Only comes with one battery (extra battery is around $60). Magazine holds less nails than most other nailers.

I am extremely happy with it, I'd buy it again anytime, I also did buy there smaller impulse nailer. I work alone, so hanging the nailer on my tool belt and carrying/holding lumber without having to drag an air hose is a real plus! No chance of getting tangled up in an air while climbing a ladder.
...my 2 cents

Bernhard

Jerry Olexa
02-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Well if weight is a problem and you just want to drive nails faster without having to use a hammer, check out a palm nailer. I have one from Porter Cable, the PN650. I have to tell you, it makes driving nails a breeze. Stick the nail in, press down and the impacting forces drive the nail in very nicely. It will drive a 16D like it was nothing. Then you don't need to worry about special nails - just use what you've got already.

I didn't think it would be a useful tool, until I got one. Doing metal connectors is a piece of cake. Working under my house doing a remodel, I had to add in new floor joists when patching the floor. It made nailing in tight quarters (think 12-16" crawl space) very easy.

David: Excellent suggestion. Never thought of that option. My only concern is I think you load each nail one at a time. Pretty reasonable in $. I'll look at some. Thanks. Good idea for my circumstances. Jerry

David G Baker
02-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Jerry,
I like the Paslode 350. It will shoot several size nails up to 3-1/2 inch. The nails are available at most lumber yards. I bought mine used off of FleaBay for $125 and am very happy with it.
My next choice would be Senco.
David B

Joe Chritz
02-08-2007, 1:20 AM
I have one of the PC clipped head nailers and it is fairly light and easy to use.

My preference is for the paslode impulse that runs on a gas cylinder. Very nice to use and no hose. It is a bit pricey, however. This is my main fraiming gun with the PC being used mostly for #8's for sheeting. I shot no less than 20K nails when doing my house plus a few K more here and there with this gun and it needs a new o-ring finally.

For the use you will give it (from the sounds of your post) any of the readily available name brands will do fine.

Joe

Lars Thomas
02-08-2007, 7:45 AM
Jerry, Grizzly also has a few big nailers, you might want to take a look there.

Here's one for $100 - http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7665

Steve Dewey
02-08-2007, 8:15 AM
All I can say is don't screw up like I did.

Rule #1 - find out what nails are available locally
Rule #2 - Full head may be required for code
Rule #3 - I haven't met anyone in person or online who wasn't satisfied with their nailer no matter what the brand. Refer to Rule #1 to narrow your choices (Bostich is popular around here).

I bought a Bostich coil framing nailer thinking I could do sheathing (shorter nails) and framing type work with one gun. Turns out no one stocks small nails for this gun and it doesn't shoot nails long enough to meet MA code for certain applications (sistering 2X is OK, but toe or end nailing, not). The unit is actually optimized for pallet construction.

I ended up buying a Bostich stick nailer. So now I have an expensive and heavy sheathing nailer and a stick nailer. If I want to use my coil nailer with small nails, I have to think ahead and order them - I've found a couple on line sources, local special order is expensive.

EDIT HERE:

If you are going to buy a HF or Grizz, refer to Rule #1 and verify that you can find "will fit" nails locally in case you run out.

Forgot to mention that paper collated (vs. plastic or wire) nails can jam if not stored properly - ie if the paper gets wet it may cause issues - something to consider if you aren't going to be using the nailer often.

Steve Dewey
02-08-2007, 8:29 AM

The Bostitch gun is like brand new because I never use it. My gun came from Amazon and after about five uses, it would start firing a nail when connected to compressed air. The first time I about put a nail into my shoe. It does it everytime after it sits for a while. So it sort of irked me that it crapped out with that problem so early on that I only pull it out when I'm short a nailer. I usually set it up to drive nails into stakes with 3/8" of the nail still exposed so you can pull them with a hammer at a later time.

Sounds pretty dangerous to me. Why don't you get the unit serviced?

I guess I'm going to have to revise my rule #3...

Andrew Catron
02-08-2007, 9:39 AM
Jerry,
As far as I know, the steeper the angle, the smaller the space the gun SHOULD get in to.

I think part of it is so that manufacturers can make their own nails that you have to use b/c one company makes 21 deg, and another does 22 deg. I think the paslodes take a 30 deg. So it may just be a way for the companies to get more of your business.

Drew

Per Swenson
02-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Steves rules are pretty right on.

I framed as a career.

You get what you pay for.

Round here the bostitch rules.

Everyone has the same nails on the crew.

Service is only a couple of miles away.

And check your codes.

Be a shame if clipped head is not allowed.

Per

Aaron Black
02-08-2007, 1:46 PM
I have the paslode impulse and would never go back to cords. However I use mine at least 2-4 times weekly. personally never liked coils prefer strip nailers. but in your case since you don't need one very often try renting a couple of dirrerent ones at the local orange box. Try the cordless pasloade you'll love it a little more weight at the gun but less weight because no cord also alot easier to move around.

Allen Prell
02-08-2007, 4:45 PM
I also own the HF 6-in-1 nailer. I'm using it right now framing up my basement and have not experienced any problems with it. If I was planning on using it any more than just my basement and maybe the rare small job in the future, I would have gone with a higher end nailer, but the HF will probably last for my my tasks.

Chuck Saunders
02-09-2007, 9:16 AM
I grew up on DuoFast, love em. I have a PC FR350 and I am not thrilled with it, seems to have trouble driving the nail all the way. Trim nailers - Senco. Framing - Hitachi. I like the Senco palm nailer it lets my wife drive 20d for hours. I am intrigued by the bostich hanger nailer, that looks cool. Bottom line is you got to have nails local.
Chuck

Jerry Olexa
02-09-2007, 2:50 PM
Yesterday,to start, I bought a Dewalt palm nailer based on good advice from David. Tested it last night and lots of driving power for 16d in a small, lightweight package. I plan to continue to look for a conventional framer but in that I'll only use 1 or twice a year, the $300 tag is tough to justify. EBay and others will be watched. Thanks for your thoughts...I'll let you know..

Benjamin Dahl
02-09-2007, 3:36 PM
jerry, I bought a Bostitch N88RH-2MCN on ebay a while ago and have been quite happy with it; no misfires, has not jammed.