PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ken or other pen turners

Mark Hulette
11-30-2003, 3:07 PM
I've made several pens so I wouldn't consider myself new to pen turning. However, I'd like your recommendations on a top line fountain pen kit. One that you'd sell without any reservations. I'd like to make one as a gift and the person I'd be giving it to is somewhat of a collector so they will know quality when they see it. I've looked at the ones from Woodcraft and haven't been really impressed.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-30-2003, 6:47 PM
Mark, I think I would check out the offerings from Berea Hardwoods. They have very nice Pen Kits and supplies. I would think that anything from Berea would be good quality. I know when I began to turn Pens, they came highly recommended from a Gentleman here that has turned more Pens than I probably ever will. You can check out their website at:
www.bereahardwoods.com I would suggest getting their latest catalog.......they have lots of new offerings that are not yet on their website. :)

(No, I am not affiliated with Berea Hardwoods...........but I wish I were!)

Ken Salisbury
12-01-2003, 8:14 AM
I'd like your recommendations on a top line fountain pen kit. One that you'd sell without any reservations. I'd like to make one as a gift and the person I'd be giving it to is somewhat of a collector so they will know quality when they see it.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

As Kevin has said - Berea has a wide selection to choose from. As for what style? -- beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Get a new catalog (just out this month)from Berea. They have some really nice new stuff. Since the recipient is a "collector" you would want a kit which has a higher grade of gold plating. (Titanium Gold, Platinum or even Swiss 18K). Berea's web site doesn't show most of their stuff - so you need a catalog. You can reach them at 1-877-736-5487.

Mark Hulette
12-01-2003, 9:43 AM
Thanks guys!

I've got a BH catalog on the way!