PDA

View Full Version : Here's my latest segmented piece W/ a little turquoise

Bill Wyko
02-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Here's the piece I've been working for a couple weeks of evenings. It's walnut, wenge, curly maple and turquoise. It stands 10 inches tall and just under 7 inches wide. The finsh is 3 coats of sealer and 5 coats of minwax polyacrilic then a coat of minwax pastewax. I haven't taken it off the tenon yet because I'm still going to shine it up a little. This is the 8th piece I've made. I hope you all like it.
P.S. Thanks for the advice everyone on the other thread about the finshes. Oh yea one more thing, it has 453 pieces.
Opinions are welcome:)

Jerry Clark
02-07-2007, 11:34 AM
That is so beautiful. Nice form and choice of wood. :)

David Walser
02-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Bill,

If you are going to attend the Desert Woodturning Roundup, be sure to bring that piece for the instant gallery. (Each person may bring up to three turnings to display.) Your work is outstanding and I'm sure many would like to be able to see it up close.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Beautifully done Bill! After seeing your 8th piece.....I think I may sell my tools and lathe!

Mark Pruitt
02-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Bill, what a gorgeous piece! I can only imagine how proud you must be. Well done!!!

Frank Kobilsek
02-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Read it here first 'Bill W. the next Malcolm T.'

Well done.

Frank

John Timberlake
02-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Very nice. Love the turquoise. Great finish.

Bill Wyko
02-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Well David I hate to say this but my Mother-in-law is comming from Florida this weekend and We've only seen her once in 9 years so I got the big shaft on going to the show. Trust me, I'm not happy about this:mad: . I'm going to try to make the meeting here in Tucson the following weekend though. If i had some way of getting out of this I definatly would. Please take lots of pictures for those of us less fortunate people.:cool:
Again, I'm very sorry I can't make it.

Bill Wyko
02-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Beautifully done Bill! After seeing your 8th piece.....I think I may sell my tools and lathe!
So Ken.............How much? JK:D

Bill Wyko
02-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm a long ways from being a Malcolm Tibbetts but there's no question he's a big inspiration to me. He's one of the people that helped me with the finsh on this piece. Filling the grain on wenge is like filling the Grand Canyon.:eek: That's one of the reasons I like this site, everyone is so willing to help each other. i couldn't have done it w/o the help of others here. Thanks to all of you.:D

David Walser
02-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Well David I hate to say this but my Mother-in-law is comming from Florida this weekend and We've only seen her once in 9 years so I got the big shaft on going to the show. Trust me, I'm not happy about this:mad: . I'm going to try to make the meeting here in Tucson the following weekend though. If i had some way of getting out of this I definatly would. Please take lots of pictures for those of us less fortunate people.:cool:

Bill, I'm very disapointed. I had looked forward to meeting you. Sounds like you've got your priorities straight, however. Lots of pictures will be taken and posted on the DWR web page. After the event, I'll try to post a link so all can enjoy.

Pete Jordan
02-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Bill,
This is amazing! Keep it up! It is very fun to watch.

Mark Pruitt
02-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Bill, any chance your MIL may have just developed a great interest in woodturning? :D :D :D

TYLER WOOD
02-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Now is the audio retail place your place of emploment, or just a background. The boss may not like you playing at work:) .

Sorry I had to seeing the Clarion sign just made me laugh.

More importantly the piece made me smile, very nice. I love the color of the turquoise with the walnut.

Bill Wyko
02-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Actually i own the place:D Can't be mad at myself now can I:rolleyes:

John Hart
02-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Like I said in the other thread Bill....you seemed to have skipped over the Beginner's Phase of turning. What I like the most is the colors. Well...I like a lot of things about it...but the colors are what first grabbed me. Nicely done.:)

Dave Bonde
02-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Great job Bill, that is some beautiful work:) . Dave

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2007, 1:10 PM
Bill that is a beautiful piece. Love the form and finish. Wish I had the patience to do that but I don't. Nice job.

Roger Fitzsimonds
02-07-2007, 1:19 PM
Bill That is a beatuiful tuning. You work seems to improve in in leaps and bounds instead of dribs and drabs like mine. You might want to try to entice your mil to dinner in one of the great steak houses that Phoenix has. Hint Hint.

Bill Wyko
02-07-2007, 1:34 PM
Thanks again everyone:D I just got the program woodturner studio. I played with it last night and I'll tell ya....The best is yet to come:D Its great for segmenting and for solids as well. You can change colors, shapes, sizes and it will do all the dimentioning for you too. My next project will be a round humador.:rolleyes: I'll put up pics as soon as I get started.
P.S. this one was built in 2 pieces then glued together then a little fine turning where they met. I wanted to try my new B-Day toys and challenge myself. In the end it's about 3/16 of an inch thick.

Ed Scolforo
02-07-2007, 5:11 PM
Bill, that is AMAZING!!

Bill Wyko
02-07-2007, 5:29 PM
Bill that is a beautiful piece. Love the form and finish. Wish I had the patience to do that but I don't. Nice job.
Actually I'm not very Patient:cool: . I blew the beauty ring to pieces because i didn't wait long enough for the glue to dry(I hate waiting for glue and finsh to dry) Fortunatly I was able to look at the sanding marks from the drum sander and put it back together in the same order it came apart in. I cleaned up the glue joints and tried again. Now I know better:D....for a little while anyway.:eek: cutting the pieces goes fast. Waiting for the glue goes slow.:( It sure is nice turning with the grain always comming at you though.:rolleyes:

Paul Engle
02-07-2007, 5:44 PM
Nice Bill.... oh btw .... lathe for sale ,,, owner going back to flat work:eek:

Bill Wyko
02-07-2007, 5:53 PM
Keep in mind, segmented work starts as flat work:eek: . It just ends up round:D

mike fuson
02-07-2007, 10:30 PM
I think now I will be embarrassed when I post my segmented bowls. Nice work.

Gilbert Vega
02-07-2007, 11:04 PM
That is simply stunning!! I just love the combination of the woods you used and the turquiose add that extra touch.

Dale Gregory
02-08-2007, 7:28 AM
Bill, I'm curious as to how many hours goes into one of these segmented vases? I'm guessing all the cuts and gluing take quite a bit of time. They are just beautiful! Great job!

Dale

Christopher K. Hartley
02-08-2007, 8:18 AM
Bill, that is one classy piece. I love your wood choices and segment combinations. Great Job!:)

Bill Wyko
02-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Bill, I'm curious as to how many hours goes into one of these segmented vases? I'm guessing all the cuts and gluing take quite a bit of time. They are just beautiful! Great job!

DaleI would say I've got 25 to 30 hours in it. Mostly because of drying time for the glue. What I do is cut up some pieces and glue them up. Then while they are drying I work on other pieces. It breaks up the work so I'm not standing around watching glue dry:cool: Thats when I get impatient and screw up:(

Gilbert Vega
02-08-2007, 3:03 PM
Bill, how is the inlay done? Is it done prior tp glueing up the segments (similar to using a veneer?) or is done after it has been turned round? Did you use resin as the top coat?

Bill Wyko
02-08-2007, 4:30 PM
Actually what I did was, buy a teflon breadpan, put the turquoise in the bottom of the pan then I mixed some wood stain with casting resin and poured it over the turquoise. Let it sit for a few days then popped it out. Then i drum sanded it and squared it up. At this point it could be cut up into segments. There are 24 segments at 7-1/2 degree angles on each side, 12 of which are turquoise and 12 Wenge.

Gilbert Vega
02-08-2007, 4:37 PM
There are 24 segments at 7-1/2 degree angles on each side, 12 of which are turquoise and 12 Wenge.

The segments that have turquoise, are they soild? If so, that's a lot of Turquoise!!

Bill Wyko
02-08-2007, 4:49 PM
About 1/2 of a cup iswhat it took to make this piece. The Gem & Mineral show is in Tucson right now. I can buy turquoise and chriscola for 5 bucks a pound. Thats a zip lock sandwich bag full.

Bill Wyko
02-08-2007, 5:16 PM
I know this is a little rapid but I might have a gallery that wants to display this piece:D . I'm not getting my hopes up but this might....turn....into something.:D I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Gilbert Vega
02-08-2007, 5:45 PM
Bill, here's hoping that it all comes true. Best of Luck!!:cool:

Bill Wyko
02-08-2007, 5:54 PM
Thank you very much. I'm in the mobile electronics business and have been in business for 18 years (I think) I had never considered a suplimental income.

Jim Ketron
02-08-2007, 7:01 PM
Beautiful piece Bill!
Nice Job!

Bill Wyko
02-08-2007, 8:28 PM
Thanks Jim. You're the king of hollow forms in my book though. You do some beautiful HF's. I think you should do some segmenting. I know you'll do fantastic.

John Chandler
02-08-2007, 8:39 PM
That is very nice looking. I like the way the grain looks in each piece and with the pieces put together like that it reminds me of a quilt.