PDA

View Full Version : PM 3520B question; morphed into PRE-GLOAT!

Mark Pruitt
02-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Powermatic offers a 2" Spindle Extension as an optional accessory. I'm not sure I understand the uses of this acessory, much less whether it would be beneficial to order one with the lathe.

I read somewhere that one of the 3520B modifications from the "A" model is a "chamfered" (for lack of a better word) vertical edge along the right side of the headstock in front, and that this was supposed to make it easier to gain tool access to the areas closer to the axis. This leads me to believe that the Spindle Extension was designed to address that issue with the "A" model and is an unneccessary attachment for the "B."

Am I correct about this, or is there some reason why I should consider purchasing a Spindle Extension? Just trying to "figure it all out" before I pull the trigger!:)

TIA!

Mark Cothren
02-07-2007, 10:38 AM
I wish I had one for some of those big, deep NE bowls I've turned... I end up using some "creative" jam chucks to finish the bottom of those...:D

Dario Octaviano
02-07-2007, 10:46 AM
I wish I had one for some of those big, deep NE bowls I've turned... I end up using some "creative" jam chucks to finish the bottom of those...:D

Two words...vaccum chuck :D

"Creative" is good...I find myself doing it myself, until I find the time (or forced to) make my vacuum chuck.

Dennis Peacock
02-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Dario,

On some of Mark's NE bowls, not even a large vacuum chuck would provide enough clearance. That boy cranks out some rather LARGE NE's from time to time. ;)

Mark Cothren
02-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Two words...vaccum chuck :D

"Creative" is good...I find myself doing it myself, until I find the time (or forced to) make my vacuum chuck.

I gots a vacuum chuck and use it religously... but it's not deep enough to allow the wings to clear the headstock on those big Walnut NEs I turned back in November...

Dennis Peacock
02-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Mark P.

In some rare occassions it would be nice to have an extension, but the drawback to that is it moves the stresses further out from the headstock and increases the stress on the bearings as well as could increase any "wobble" that would be in the turning piece. Lastly, the further away from the headstock you get, you can experience reduced support for the turned piece.

Just some thoughts out loud. ;)

Dario Octaviano
02-07-2007, 11:02 AM
WOW...must be really big :eek: . Sorry

Did you try to use an extension on the chuck itself? IF it uses PVC pipes, an extension piece can be easilly added. Just a though.

Dario Octaviano
02-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Mark P.

In some rare occassions it would be nice to have an extension, but the drawback to that is it moves the stresses further out from the headstock and increases the stress on the bearings as well as could increase any "wobble" that would be in the turning piece. Lastly, the further away from the headstock you get, you can experience reduced support for the turned piece.

Just some thoughts out loud. ;)

Good point but for cleaning the bottom...not too much stress should be generated.

George Tokarev
02-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Not sure I would. Will add drift to any existing runout problem, could add some on its own, and cutting away from the headstock, even with the tailstock available has never been a big thing for me. I find it much easier to on myself and the shop space to cut from the same position on all my turnings. For interrupted edges, even green, I prepare the bottom prior to reversing and then sand, color or fiddle as required with the resulting oval area after final dry. Call it sloth or style, as you will, it hasn't stopped a sale yet. Might not be up to some other turners' standards, but it sure saves time.

Maybe someday a vacuum chuck, but it's not high on my list.

Mark Pruitt
02-07-2007, 1:53 PM
Thanks guys. I kinda figured the extension wasn't critical but thought I'd ask anyway. I also asked that same question of a dealer on the phone a few minutes ago, and he confirmed what I had suspected, that the extension is more for the "A" than the "B".

And speaking of that phone call....here's the big news:

I finally pulled the trigger!!!
One Magic Mustard Machine, ordered today, should be here in a week! I've got some space-making to do. You know what I'll be busy with!:D :D :D

Mark Cothren
02-07-2007, 1:58 PM
Congrats Mark!!! Another mustard brutha...:D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2007, 2:00 PM
Congrats Mark!

Color me GREEN with envy!

Mind sharing the source?

Andy Hoyt
02-07-2007, 2:10 PM
Well dadgummit!

I was gonna give you that spare 2436 Mayo I've had lying around. Guess it's time to go looking for a new worthy abysseree:D

Dario Octaviano
02-07-2007, 2:13 PM
CONGRATS!!! You'll love it ;)

Mark Pruitt
02-07-2007, 2:21 PM
Well dadgummit!

I was gonna give you that spare 2436 Mayo I've had lying around. Guess it's time to go looking for a new worthy abysseree:D
RIIIIIIIIGHT!!!
Go ahead, send it on down! SWMBO can use it!:D :D

Dennis Peacock
02-07-2007, 2:24 PM
CONGRATS Mr. Pruitt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're gonna LOVE that new lathe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :cool: :D

Pete Jordan
02-07-2007, 3:03 PM
Thanks guys. I kinda figured the extension wasn't critical but thought I'd ask anyway. I also asked that same question of a dealer on the phone a few minutes ago, and he confirmed what I had suspected, that the extension is more for the "A" than the "B".

And speaking of that phone call....here's the big news:

I finally pulled the trigger!!!
One Magic Mustard Machine, ordered today, should be here in a week! I've got some space-making to do. You know what I'll be busy with!:D :D :D

Congrats!

You are going to love it! Make sure you have help putting the legs on and hopefully and engine hoist.:D :D :D

TYLER WOOD
02-07-2007, 3:11 PM
Andy:
Project: Accept mayo with understanding that I may never return to normal active family duty thereafter!:D

ABYSEREE TYLER: Volunteering for duty SIR!!!

Mark:
Congrats on the new lathe! I hope you enjoy it as much as I envy you getting it, which is very much by the way. Mind sharing the info on the machine you just purchased?

Mark Pruitt
02-07-2007, 3:18 PM
Mind sharing the info on the machine you just purchased?
Tyler, here she is:
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/Shop/index.cfm?navPage=4&iid=6056397

Mark Pruitt
02-07-2007, 3:43 PM
Congrats!

You are going to love it! Make sure you have help putting the legs on and hopefully and engine hoist.:D :D :D
Thanks Pete,
Yup, that's the part I'm not lookin' forward to. This thing's gonna be the dickens to get set up....and I'm not forgetting that I'm only a month post-op with my right hand and still under orders to not use it excessively. Time to round up 3-4 good friends!:D

Mark Cothren
02-07-2007, 3:46 PM
Mine came assembled and all I had to do was slide it off the pallet and screw the feet on... of course I had "a few good men" helping me do that...:D

Jim Becker
02-07-2007, 3:47 PM
Oohh...you're gonna RELISH that purchased!!!! :D :D :D

Dario Octaviano
02-07-2007, 3:54 PM
Mark,

I found that the best way to assemble it is to place a liner on the floor (thick cardboard or old carpet is great), lay the bed upside down. Bolt the legs then tip it right side up. It is heavy but not awkward. Again make sure you have enough padding so the new paint won't get scratched :D .

Install the rest after. Hope this helps!

It was so easy I didn't even break a sweat and I am only a 140 lb guy! ('coz my friend who delivered it did 90% of the work :o ). I actually cannot budge the bed by itself! :eek:

Pete Jordan
02-07-2007, 4:20 PM
Mark,

Make sure you are just a supervisor! This thing ways about 700LBs! Get as many guys as you can!

George Conklin
02-07-2007, 5:06 PM
Mark,

I found that the best way to assemble it is to place a liner on the floor (thick cardboard or old carpet is great), lay the bed upside down. Bolt the legs then tip it right side up. It is heavy but not awkward. Again make sure you have enough padding so the new paint won't get scratched :D .

Install the rest after. Hope this helps!

It was so easy I didn't even break a sweat and I am only a 140 lb guy! ('coz my friend who delivered it did 90% of the work :o ). I actually cannot budge the bed by itself! :eek:

That's the way I did mine and would NOT recommend it! It took three of us to tilt that beast up on her feet.

Congrats on your new baby, Mark and welcome to "Club Mustard":cool: .

Christopher K. Hartley
02-07-2007, 5:22 PM
Big Congrats on that beautiful MUSTARD!!:D :D :) :cool: Hey does anyone know if there is such a thing as Mustard Ice Cream for Andy?

Travis Stinson
02-07-2007, 6:59 PM
Congrats Mark! Welcome to the fold, my Brother.:D

Barry Stratton
02-07-2007, 8:05 PM
CONGRATS MARK! That is a great gloat!

Well dadgummit!

...and, uh....Andy........ that'd make a sweet retirement gift to you know who in a couple months......:D

Don Fuss
02-07-2007, 8:42 PM
Awesome Mark! I'm jealous. Let me know if you need another set of hands getting that beast together.

John Miliunas
02-07-2007, 9:54 PM
Congrats, Mark! That's a sweet unit and I'm sure you'll be putting it to good use! :) :cool:

Mark Pruitt
02-08-2007, 9:13 AM
Thanks again everyone,
It occurs to me that Valentine's is this coming Wednesday and I have a chunk of purpleheart to make a gift for the LOML, and on top of that I now have to set aside enough time to clear out space for what will become The Mustard Zone.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Don, I appreciate the offer! I could definitely use the help!:)

George Conklin
02-08-2007, 1:51 PM
Thanks again everyone,
It occurs to me that Valentine's is this coming Wednesday and I have a chunk of purpleheart to make a gift for the LOML,

Hold on there, Mark!

LOYL approved the purchase of your mustard right before Valentines day and you are going to give her a chunk of wood?

I think a diamond ring or necklace might be a better choice;).

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-08-2007, 2:44 PM
Feel free to steal my avatar!:D

Mark Pruitt
02-08-2007, 2:57 PM
Hold on there, Mark!

LOYL approved the purchase of your mustard right before Valentines day and you are going to give her a chunk of wood?

I think a diamond ring or necklace might be a better choice;).
George,
I think "tolerated" might be closer to reality than "approved.":eek:
And if you only knew how much she loves purple! She's been wanting something made of PH for a long time....she hasn't noticed the 3x6 PH blank sitting under a few pieces of padauk and zebrawood...:D she would honestly rather have something purple than diamonds!

Mark Pruitt
02-13-2007, 9:35 AM
I just learned that the Mustard has now SHIPPED! The anticipation builds....:)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2007, 9:38 AM
Now you need to contact one of the new SawStop owners here at SMC......You can get their saved hot dog and put the mustard to it.....I wonder if you could turn a frozen hot dawg?

Congrats Mark!

Mark Pruitt
02-15-2007, 9:12 AM
Dunno about turning a frozen hot dog....but I'll be lucky if I ain't frozen solid by the end of the day!

I just spoke to the people at the dock.....it's there waiting for me now! I'm OTD!!! Back in a few hours....

George Conklin
02-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I sure hope you're going to have a gaggle of helpers back at the shop to assist in getting your mustard off your truck, moved into your shop and set up.

Andy Hoyt
02-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Well? Where is it mustard man?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Have you ever noticed how Andy get's short tempered when he's jealous?
:rolleyes:

Mark Cothren
02-15-2007, 11:01 PM
He's not jealous... he's just yellow with envy...

Andy Hoyt
02-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Just had a PM from this Pruitt guy.

Turns out he's been messing with you all along, and asked that I let in you in on a "development".

Never ordered that mustard thing after all.

Took that spare 2436 Mayo instead.

++++++++++++++

Ya ever notice that Ken looks foolish after insulting the MOA? :D

Travis Stinson
02-16-2007, 9:53 PM
What? Still no pictures?????:(

Barry Stratton
02-16-2007, 10:54 PM
He musta got squished trying to unload it himself:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mark Pruitt
02-17-2007, 8:32 AM
ummmmph......grrrrrunt...... (sound of me crawling out from under new lathe)...:cool:

Well, sorry for the silence guys but the new Mustard is standing proudly in its new home! I had only limited help getting it off my pickup...you shoulda seen the LOML and me pushing/pulling! Actually I'm glad you didn't see it. I used 1/2" pvc for rollers to get it off the truck, down the ramps and across the floor, removed headstock, tailstock, banjo, rolled it over, mounted the legs, and had a buddy come over after work to help me stand it up. OMG that thing is SOOO heavy!!!:eek: (which is of course part of why I wanted it!)

So, where are the pics? Well, umm, there ain't any yet!:( I had to knock off and make a trip to visit my MIL, which is where I am now. (She's had some recent health problems and the LOML and I are trying to give her some TLC.) I'll get some pictures up soon....promise!!!

Oh, and....the new Mustard needs a name! Any ideas?

Pete Jordan
02-17-2007, 8:35 AM
How about, "Play Musty for Me".

I'm glad you didn't get hurt!

Chris Barton
02-17-2007, 9:14 AM
How about "Dijon?"

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-17-2007, 9:32 AM
Old Yeller!:D

John Miliunas
02-17-2007, 9:59 AM
Hmmm...Kinda' partial to "Heinz", myself. :D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
02-17-2007, 10:58 AM
I nominate - Sybil.

In honor of mustard so confused by its identity that it thinks it's mayo, relish, horseradish, marmalade, caviar, and all other manner of spreadable stuff.

Curt Fuller
02-17-2007, 1:56 PM
Until there are pics I'd say "Mirage".

Mark Pruitt
02-17-2007, 4:30 PM
Just had a PM from this Pruitt guy.

Turns out he's been messing with you all along, and asked that I let in you in on a "development".

Never ordered that mustard thing after all.

Took that spare 2436 Mayo instead.

Have you ever noticed how Andy get's short tempered when he's jealous?
:rolleyes:
Not only that, he even starts fabricating stories! Exactly WHAT is in that snow up in Maine?:eek: :p :D

Until there are pics I'd say "Mirage".
Good one Curt. Yeah, just lemmie get home tomorrow and there'll be pics.....gee whiz, I'm surprised the pic police hasn't gotten on my case yet!:eek:

Dennis Peacock
02-17-2007, 6:14 PM
Congrats on the lathe arrival Mark.!!!!!

Now....if there's not any pics come tomorrow night of this new lathe, we all will start calling you Mirage Man!!!! :p :D

Barry Stratton
02-18-2007, 3:35 AM
Good for you Mark!

I vote for Christine......

Mark Pruitt
02-18-2007, 9:58 PM
I told ya I'd get a pic up tonight! Not a great photo, but a great subject!:D
This is the only time she'll ever be this clean!:D :D

John Miliunas
02-18-2007, 10:04 PM
We-e-e-e-e-ll Ok, I guess it's true then! :D Congrats again, Mark! :) :cool:

Travis Stinson
02-18-2007, 10:04 PM
T'is a beauty Mark. Now, get that baby dirty! :D

George Conklin
02-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Awesome, Mark!

Now,,, how's your back?:D

Andy Hoyt
02-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Harumpf and pshaw.

Tom Sherman
02-19-2007, 9:39 AM
That's cool Mark, great looking lathe now we expect to see copious amounts of work comming off that latherizer.

John Shuk
02-19-2007, 10:25 AM
That is a beauty Mark! I cant get over the value of that machine. Dollar for dollar you can't do better.

Dennis Peacock
02-19-2007, 11:31 AM
OK....it's for real now eh? :D

Awesome Mark.....and congrats my friend.

Mark Pruitt
02-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Harumpf and pshaw.
Sounds like a yankee law firm to me.:D

Andy Hoyt
02-19-2007, 1:52 PM
Nope. They're a small family-owned 220 year old foundry down in Machias and are under an exclusive full time contract to a company called WMH. They specialize in melting crummy tools down to make boat anchors.

Travis Stinson
02-19-2007, 2:35 PM
Uh oh..........:rolleyes:

Mark Pruitt
02-19-2007, 3:19 PM
Nope. They're a small family-owned 220 year old foundry down in Machias and are under an exclusive full time contract to a company called WMH. They specialize in melting crummy tools down to make boat anchors.
I didn't know Oneway and WMH were affiliated.:cool: :p

Andy Hoyt
02-19-2007, 8:23 PM
Ya just don't get it, do ya Pruitt.

This is the part of the process where I get to say stuff making you regret your purchasing decision which, in turn, causes you to beg forgiveness from your missus. You then spend several weeks in total servitude to her performing all manner of Harry Homeowner chores while your mustard thingie rusts up good becoming the useless spinner we know it to be. This is how those guys down at Harumpf and Pshaw stay so busy and I should know. I've got three cousins on the payroll down there who collectively have forty-eight mouths to feed. One of 'em is me. So come on...

This is the way it's done, so please follow protocol.

Gosh, even Otis Conklin groveled for a week or two.

And then there was that Cecil guy. Sheesh!

Travis Stinson
02-19-2007, 8:34 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/1234/DSC02494a1.jpg

Mark Pruitt
02-19-2007, 10:01 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/1234/DSC02494a1.jpg
I believe Travis has pretty well said it all here.:D

Andy Hoyt
02-19-2007, 10:22 PM
A complete lost cause. Sheesh.

Time to go cozy up to that Fuson guy and give him a what for.:D

George Conklin
02-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Ya just don't get it, do ya Pruitt.

This is the part of the process where I get to say stuff making you regret your purchasing decision which, in turn, causes you to beg forgiveness from your missus. You then spend several weeks in total servitude to her performing all manner of Harry Homeowner chores while your mustard thingie rusts up good becoming the useless spinner we know it to be. This is how those guys down at Harumpf and Pshaw stay so busy and I should know. I've got three cousins on the payroll down there who collectively have forty-eight mouths to feed. One of 'em is me. So come on...

This is the way it's done, so please follow protocol.

Gosh, even Otis Conklin groveled for a week or two.

And then there was that Cecil guy. Sheesh!

Ah yes. I remember that well. But I'll get over it. What were we talking about?:D

Ernie Nyvall
02-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Congratulations Mark!!! You're going to love it. Go MUSTARD!!!

You know, you gotta feel a little sorry for Andy. I mean when you think your getting Mayonnaise, and it turns out to be... well Miracle Whip ... well....