PDA

View Full Version : Chisel Handles

Chris Jenkins
02-07-2007, 8:47 AM
I was blessed with a wife who supports my tool obsession and bought me a great set of LN chisels last year for my B-day. I have had little time to use these as we decided to move shortly there after. Either way I am getting back to setting up the new shop and starting a new project.

I got to use my chisels again last night when I noticed the nice clean handles weren't so clean on them. It seems the light coating of what I am guessing is shellac wore off.

Any suggestions on what type of finish to put on these handles to keep them looking nice, but not getting to slippery?

Also I noticed that LN offers the long handle chisels as well. I recently acquired a lathe and was thinking this would be a good project. Does anyone have any type of dimensions on one of these handles or should I be asking this part over in the round forum?

Chuck Nickerson
02-07-2007, 9:57 PM
As for the handle finish, just email Lie-Nielsen support. I've found them very helpful on these kinds of questions.

Handle length for paring: the big plus of making handles is to make ones that fit you. I'm starting this exact project in 10 days. I'll take a 24" piece of spindle stock and turn the ends to fit the socket. (At my skill level I'll need to turn both ends to get one right.) Then I'm going to tap it home in the socket and hold and use it. Then I'll know how long it should be for me.