PDA

View Full Version : Trend Airshield - First impressions

Neal Addy
02-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Had a nice weather day (71F for a high, little weather gloat there!) so I finally got in some turning time AND got my first experience with the Trend. Here are some thoughts.

Short version (in two words):
I luvit.

Long version:
First, this unit was bought from here:
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/cats.php?id=286&gclid=CI7KirT4vYkCFSGRYAodCzNjLw]
Quick delivery and good service as far as it went. I did buy the spare accessories pack but not a spare battery (planning on making my own).

It arrived already assembled, filter(s) in place and the screen protector on. All I had to do was charge and install the battery. Did the air check with a bubble gauge they provided and the thing ran perfect right out of the box. A few quick adjustments and I was ready for orbit.

The unit's fan is noticeable but not loud by any stretch. After a few minutes I forgot all about it.

I decided to turn a Cocobola hollow form for my first test (love that aroma). I did not run the DC (still haven't fixed a breaker problem yet) but I did run the Jet filtration box. As long as I was wearing the Trend I COULD NOT SMELL A THING even when my entire head was being showered with curlies and dust. I was impressed.

The visor was crystal clear and did not seem to pick up static dust at all. I gave it a wipe once or twice but did not have any problems with vision in the time I used it. As far as a faceshield goes it is no better or worse than one of the standard types you buy anywhere. It would deflect light debris just fine but it would not stand up to a flying blank.

The weight of the unit was never really a problem. I'm not a big guy and figured I would feel the weight more than some. For the first few hours I hardly noticed I had it on. Somewhere in the third hour of use I did notice my neck getting a bit tired but I'm fairly sure that will get better the more frequently I wear it (and strengthen my neck).

I'm also a glasses wearer and was a bit concerned about the fit. No problem at all. There's plenty of room for glasses in the helmet. The few times I needed to adjust my glasses I just reached behind my ear and pushed or pulled the earpiece. No need to remove the helmet.

After finishing for the night I took the unit off and checked the filters. They are nearly as red as a blank of Padauk. But I never had a sniffle the entire time. I call that a good trade.

I can't judge battery time yet since I stayed under the unit for only 3.5 hours tonight. Supposedly you can get 4 hours out of one charge. I never noticed a decrease in pressure while I was using it. The unit has space for two batteries so you can go a total of 8 hours without a recharge. Note that charge time is 14 hours. Like I said above, I'm going to try to build a battery pack out of standard 30-minute rechargeable batteries.

A few other thoughts... I did notice that the unit tended to fog up almost as soon as I turned it off (but stayed under it). But the fog disappears immediately as soon as the unit is turned on. There were also a few amusing aspects to wearing the helmet. For one, I noticed that I tend to subconsiously hold my breath or blow dust away when it is coming at my face. The first few times doing this under the helmet actually made me chuckle at myself.

All-in-all I'm extremely pleased. After only one use I do feel it was worth the money. The only criticisms I have would be: 1) it could have a stronger faceshield, 2) quicker battery recharge time, and 3) I still wish the battery could be somewhere other than strapped to your head. In addition to building my own battery pack I also plan to try and make a belt clip with a wire running to the unit.

Hope this helps someone!

Safe turning,

Neal

Barry Stratton
02-07-2007, 2:43 AM
Thanks for the initial review, it helps! I'm looking to buy one this summer.

Got any pics of the cocobolo piece????

Bob Noles
02-07-2007, 5:12 AM
Neal,

Great review! I have had mine for nearly a year and I love it. What is it about the battery pack placement that you don't like? That was one of the features that helped sell me on the Trend. I did not want to have to wire myself up every time I wanted to use it.

Gary Ratajczak
02-07-2007, 8:17 AM
Hello:
I bought my airshield last year - many allergy and sinus problems, and I'm trying to do a better job with dust collection and avoidance.

--Like the original poster, I find tht I don't notice it on after a while. A common post I saw from others was that it was to heavy. i guess that's just personal preference.

--I like the one piece design because I have tarted to wear it while doing other shop tasks like cutting on the tablesaw. It's quick to put on and take off - that was my number one must have when shopping.

--Also ordered from http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...SGRYAodCzNjLw]

Very good to deal with, and quick shipping. This was (and I believe still is) the lowest price.

--Here is a link to instructions I wrote for a new battery pack using rechargeables:

http://woodworker.homestead.com/MiscPage.html

Regards

Dennis Peacock
02-07-2007, 8:50 AM
Yup....I got one as really like it as well. I've even used it while doing some....gulp......"flatwork". ;) it's a keeper in my book.:D

Hilel Salomon
02-07-2007, 8:51 AM
Hi,

Making battery packs is not only cheaper than buying extra ones, but they are substantially better. The original ones get hot upon charging and last a maximum of 4-5 hours. The ones you make can be charged in less time with a smart charger and last 8-11 hours per.
One thing that I think is pricy but worth it is the 10 pack of visor overlays. I had a bowl come flying at my face and not only did the visor protect me but the overlays protected the visor. I think that they're $20 for 10, but $2. was cheap compared to a new visor.

Neal Addy
02-07-2007, 10:10 AM
What is it about the battery pack placement that you don't like? Bob, there's just something about strapping a battery pack to your head that doesn't seem right. Don't know if there's any medical reason why this would be a bad idea, just my own common sense (if any). Maybe just paranoia on my part.

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2007, 10:21 AM
I bought mine direct from the company. I bought the unit because I didn't want the battery wires hanging everywhere so that is one of the selling points that the batteries were in the unit and it was one piece. That being said I wouldn't be without mine. I have not had a time when since I got my Trend that I have had a sinus infection or sinus problems.

So Neal and the rest I am in complete agreement. They are worth the money hands down.

Bill Boehme
02-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Neal,

Have you banged the face shield with a can of Dr. Pepper yet? Sometimes I forget that I am wearing my Airstream when I grab a can of DP and try to drink it through the face shield.

Did you get a chance to visit the Woodturners of North Texas meeting in January? If you are interested, we will be having a special guest demonstrator, Bruce Hoover, on Saturday, February 17, the week before our regular February meeting. Let me know if you would like more information about it.

Bill

Neal Addy
02-07-2007, 2:41 PM
LOL! No, I haven't done that yet. I did bang the visor on the tool rest when I leaned over to get a close look at the work piece. Had to laugh at myself for that. Forgot I was wearing it.

I missed the January meeting (it fell on LOML's birthday) but I'll be at the February meeting for sure.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2007, 3:39 PM
Don't laugh Neal....it took me about 3 hours to figure out I had to raise the face shield to blow the shavings off my tool rest.....:o

Jim Becker
02-07-2007, 3:47 PM
I'm very pleased with mine...so much so that I actually use it!

Mike Ramsey
02-07-2007, 4:58 PM
Like mine too, just don't spit with it down....:D

Ed Scolforo
02-07-2007, 5:09 PM
I like mine. It took awhile to get used to the extra weight, but now I don't notice it. I DO smell the wood at times, maybe it's time to change the filters? The biggest annoyance is having my beer dribble down my shirt when I'm using it. :eek:

Bill Wyko
02-07-2007, 5:45 PM
Someone at Woodworkers told me about a facemask like the one you have. If you don't mind my asking, how much is one of those? I've been using a resparator and I still get boogs that you could turn.:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2007, 6:03 PM
Bill...........a good respirator will cost $200-300+. If you do a search on respirator's you can find threads where there were some very heated discussions following it. My advice.....go to a local Woodcraft store or other w/w supply company ...try the different brands and types on. Buy one that you feel will protect you and you are comfortable with....and can afford.

Bill Boehme
02-08-2007, 1:40 AM
Don't laugh Neal....it took me about 3 hours to figure out I had to raise the face shield to blow the shavings off my tool rest.....

Done that!

Like mine too, just don't spit with it down....

Done that too!

……. I still get boogs that you could turn…..

TMI

Bill