PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Wally Dickerman

Wolf Kiessling
11-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Per your request, here is a pic of the pot I turned from that piece of big leaf maple you send to Steve J.'s bar-b-q.

I really enjoyed working that blank. It turned beautifully and took a nice finish easily. I like the figure also. I guess I will keep this piece for myself as it is the only piece of big leaf I have ever gotten my hands on and that is likely to remain the case. Thanks again,

Wolf

Wolf Kiessling
11-30-2003, 1:00 PM
Per your request, here is a pic of the pot I turned from that piece of big leaf maple you send to Steve J.'s bar-b-q.

I really enjoyed working that blank. It turned beautifully and took a nice finish easily. I like the figure also. I guess I will keep this piece for myself as it is the only piece of big leaf I have ever gotten my hands on and that is likely to remain the case. Thanks again,

Wolf

Forgot to mention this pot is sanded to 400 grit and finished with two coats of cherry flavored danish oil and three coats of natural. The first coat of oil was a sacrificial coat and sanded off using 150, 220 and 320 grit garnet paper. The second coat was applied with the wet/dry 400 grit. The three coats of natural were applied one coat each morning, allowed to dry overnight, and steel wooled with 0000 the next morning.

Jim Becker
11-30-2003, 1:31 PM
Beautiful, Wolf! Although many turners avoid adding color during the finishing process, your example shows that it's possible to truely enhance a piece with tastful application of the same. Great job!