PDA

View Full Version : Yet another coffee table

Kristian Wild
02-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share the final results of my request for construction ideas from everyone here. Back in November I needed suggestions on how to build this table strong enough while not having any skirt or stretchers lengthwise. My clients (good friends who have been generous in encouraging this habit I've developed) saw a Japanese style table on a website that looked similar but was lower. They wanted to adapt the idea for a coffee table in their mountain home. Definately "chunkier" than I like, but they were tickled pink!

All of the materials are reclaimed Douglas Fir. The legs and stretchers are off cuts from from an amazing timberframe building which was built last year as our town's visitor info centre and chamber of commerce. The 1 1/2" thick planks for the top were resawn from a massive beam which once served as a structural member in a industrial building. Luckily I have a buddy locally with a massive band mill who sliced it up for a pitcher of malty refreshment... ;)

This is the first time I've done through tenons. I should have read up more on how to keep the glue mess to a minimum before I began. They took me much longer than expected. Attaching the legs to the top was achieved by morticing them directly in. Each leg has two paralell 3" wide by 1/2" thick by 1" long tenons on the top. this yeilded enough gluing surface for a strong joint. Special thanks to Jamie Buxton for the idea on how to tackle that joint.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to apply the finish for them before they had to move all of thier stuff due to a death in our family which set me back considerably. (Part of me was secretly relieved, I don't like finishing that much anyway...)

Thanks for looking!

Karle Woodward
02-07-2007, 8:43 AM
Looks like you could park a truck on that thing and it'd hold up. Congratulations on your project.