PDA

View Full Version : Black Gum Natural Edge

Raymond Overman
02-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Papa and I found a slightly burled black gum a couple of weekends ago. I had roughed a piece out while I was there then worked on it some more this past weekend. I finished it up this evening.

This thing had pockets in it kind of like swiss cheese. Made it very interesting to turn.

Black Gum Natural Edge Bowl with inclusions
7" diameter by 6 1/4" tall
Lacquer

Mark Cothren
02-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Raymond, that is one sweet NE... a great piece of wood... my FIL's place is loaded with Black Gum - some HUGE ones... but I've yet to see one with a burl of any sort.

Dario Octaviano
02-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Nice...not sure I have the courage to try turning a piece with that much of inclusion yet (much as I love the included pieces).

You did good!

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Raymond that is a beauty. I like the form and finish. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
02-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Beautiful... you sure did a nice job on that piece!

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Beautiful NE Raymond! With all of the holes in it - reminds me of a woven basket! Nicely Done!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Raymond......You nailed another one! Simply gorgeous!

Barry Stratton
02-07-2007, 12:40 AM
Thats a beauty Raymond. Those inclusions really give it character and...I'm sure they made it interesting to turn!

John Hart
02-07-2007, 6:15 AM
Sure is pretty Raymond! The Black Gum is what the amish around here call Pepperidge. I've found all the pieces to be loaded with figure....but this stuff seems to like to move ALOT while drying. How thick was your rough turning, and how much did it move? Any little cracks you had to deal with?
Sorry for all the questions. I'd really like to get a heads up on how to deal with this wood. It's everywhere and it's really pretty stuff.

Raymond Overman
02-07-2007, 7:36 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys. All I can say about the inclusions is click, click, click, click... They're really not that bad. You just have to have patience and take small bites instead of hogging off the big curlies.

John,

I've done two of these gum NEs and I haven't had a problem with cracking so far. I turned the first one to less than a 1/4" throughout using a light behind it to tell how thick I was. It was green. So green in fact it was less than 4 hours off the stump. It moved some but didn't crack.

My philosophy on natural edge bowls is that I don't care if they move some. You're looking for chaos in the bark edge. If it's a little oval or has smooth even wrinkles down one side, does it really matter?

This piece is about 1/4" thick throughout. Since I turned it with the pith in one side (the blank was partially hollow through the pith on one side) I fully expected to get a crack. So far so good but time may prove otherwise.

Turn it thin throughout and you should have good luck with the gum. It turns and sands beautifully and the light colored sap wood and contrasting heart is very interesting.

John Hart
02-07-2007, 7:54 AM
Thanks Raymond. I'll give "thin" a try. Got a pile of pieces just dying to be NEs.:)

Ed Scolforo
02-07-2007, 7:57 AM
Now, that's a keeper, Raymond!

Bob Hallowell
02-07-2007, 8:15 AM
Raymond That is very nice. I need to do some more ne!

Got a pile of pieces just dying to be NEs.:)

And John, By your other post Me thinks you got a pile of wood for anything!:D

Bob

Dennis Peacock
02-07-2007, 8:52 AM
Awsome piece Raymond!!!!! I really like it a lot. Beautiful. :cool:

William Bachtel
02-07-2007, 9:27 AM
Put it on the top shelf

Mark Pruitt
02-07-2007, 9:31 AM
Beautiful piece, Raymond! You did it "just right"!

Neal Addy
02-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Beautiful NE, Raymond! Love it.

Travis Stinson
02-07-2007, 7:01 PM
Fantastic NE Raymond, great job! :cool:

Glenn Hodges
02-07-2007, 7:24 PM
What a beautiful natural edge. Blackgum is the only burl I ever see down here, and many of these are hollow. I agree with you let it move and amaze people.

Jim Ketron
02-07-2007, 7:32 PM
Nice Piece Raymond!
Love the voids!