PDA

View Full Version : O.T. External DVD Burner. Which to buy?

Alan Tolchinsky
02-06-2007, 7:51 PM
Hi All, I'm looking for an external DVD burner to back up stuff on my computer. Problem is there are so many to chose from I can't decide. :( Anybody have any recommendations on brands they like and what specs. to look for? Thanks

Mike Cutler
02-06-2007, 7:55 PM
Alan.
I use a Lacie backup harddrive. Maybe an option to consider instead of a DVD burner.

Lot's of Computer type folks on this board. I'm certain someone can point you right at the answer.
I think they might tell you to go internal for the speed though.

Ron Wessels
02-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I'll second Mike's suggestion for an external hard drive. They are cheap, big and fast. If you get a few and rotate through them when doing backups, you won't be unhappy.

If you want to be as inexpensive as possible, get an external USB enclosure and a few bare drives, and swap them out of the enclosure. But having multiple enclosures is more convenient, and not that much more expensive.

I would only use DVD backups for things that I want to permanently keep.

Chuck Wintle
02-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi All, I'm looking for an external DVD burner to back up stuff on my computer. Problem is there are so many to chose from I can't decide. :( Anybody have any recommendations on brands they like and what specs. to look for? Thanks
You could buy an internal dvd burner as they are cheaper and do the same job as an external dvd burner. There are many good brands such as Lite-On, Sony, LG to name a few. Internal burners are not expensive, usually in the 50-75 dollar range.Also, "archival quality" dvd's are available too:D

Al Willits
02-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Newegg has a Western Digital 320gig external for $132, I picked one up for music and its worked fine for me.
Western makes a pretty nice HD
Advantage of external is you can load what you want on it, disonnect it and not worry about the comp working or not to use it, any comp with a usb port will prob retrive your data if needed.
Al

Jim O'Dell
02-07-2007, 1:02 PM
LOML and I got a Pioneer unit from Fryes last August. That way I can use it on both computers for back up. USB2, comes with Nero for software. Works great. Does CD's too, of course. After rebate, 69.95. The internal ones, different brand, are about half that price now after rebate. Seems like the Pioneer internal was 59.95 after rebate. I'm through with Sony. Had CD burners in both machines, rarely used, didn't last for squat. I believe the Sony's use some sort of proprietary coding were some units don't want to work well with DVD's recorded on them. Good luck in your search! Jim.

Ken Garlock
02-07-2007, 1:21 PM
Jim, I surely can't match your price.:)

I bouight a Sony DVDirect DVD recorder last year at Fry's. It uses the standard format +R as I recall. It is stand alone because it doesn't need a computer for its brains. You can record directly from your VCR, TV, computer, or your cam-corder. Inputs are component video, S video, and USB. The entire package is about the size of a cigar box, plus a power supply. The bad thing is that it carries a "Sony price tag."

Now HD DVD is another thing. My guess is that we are seeing the lastest version of the Beta vs VHS. Sony has theirs, and I think so do several others.

Jim O'Dell
02-07-2007, 2:31 PM
Ken, I think you're talking about a audio/video component recorder, like a VHS HIFI stereo tape was a few years ago. I think Alan's looking for a DVD burner for the computer for backup processes. Yes they will record video too, and maybe the Sony you're talking about will hook up to the computer as well, but sounds like it does a whole it more that what I bought. Jim

Al Willits
02-07-2007, 4:33 PM
Alan, are you looking to make back up DVD's or just back up to a external HD?
That would make a lot of difference.
Al

Alan Tolchinsky
02-07-2007, 6:03 PM
Alan, are you looking to make back up DVD's or just back up to a external HD?
That would make a lot of difference.
Al

Thanks guys, Al, I'm looking to back up stuff like pictures etc. that are on my laptop. I might get an exteranl HD later if I feel I need it. But I feel most comfortable with back up being on DVD/CD's. On second thought I guess "BACK UP" may not be the right term. I guess I'm looking to save stuff I want in case my computer HD goes South. Thanks all for your help. Alan

Al Willits
02-07-2007, 6:18 PM
Then you need a burner, sorry wasn't sure.
Plextor makes some nice but spendy units, check newegg.com for what they have, I've bought a lot of stuff from them and no problems.
DVD/CD's would be safer I think also.

Al

Ken Garlock
02-07-2007, 7:09 PM
Ken, I think you're talking about a audio/video component recorder, like a VHS HIFI stereo tape was a few years ago. I think Alan's looking for a DVD burner for the computer for backup processes. Yes they will record video too, and maybe the Sony you're talking about will hook up to the computer as well, but sounds like it does a whole it more that what I bought. Jim

I think you have it right, Jim. When you plug it into the computer, it recognizes where it is. I haven't used it for backup, but it think it goes into "dumb" mode and allows the computer software to take over.

A year or two ago, I bought a 250 GB disk that plugs into the computer via the USB port. I use "Drive Image" to back up directly to it. Unless you want a permanent history of your system, a big disk will give you plenty of copies before you need to clean out the really old ones.

I wasn't trying to upstage you Jim, just passing along another option.:)

Curt Harms
02-07-2007, 7:38 PM
I've had excellent luck with Plextor writers, don't get a coaster too often. I can't say the same for a Pacific Digital drive I had previously. I chose an exteral USB 2 enclosure that supports ATAPI devices. In addition to a CDRW then DVDR drive, it has rails and face plates so I can install 3 1/2" ATAPI hard drives. That has come in handy when trying to get data off other peoples sick hard drives. Here's one example from New Egg-I don't have it and don't know if it's any good or not:
www(dot)newegg(dot)com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827199002.

Just another possibility, especially if You like to tinker.

Curt

Jim O'Dell
02-07-2007, 8:12 PM
Ken, I didn't feel that at all! As others have said, I think there was some confusion on what Alan was looking for, and we all had our interpretations of that. All sound ideas and possibilities. Your solution sounds like it is actually more versatile, but more expensive in the process. Isn't that the way it usually is?
Anyway, no harm/no foul on this end. I was just trying to clarify what I thought I understood. Jim.

Rich Engelhardt
02-10-2007, 8:11 AM
Hello Alan,
I bought one of the early H.P. LightScribe external DVD writers.
It was ~ $130.00 at WalMart when I bought it. I believe they are about half that now.

The LightScribe media is a bit more expensive, but it's come way down in the last year. I bought it mainly for it's ability to burn a label on the CD/DVD. A side benefit has been that the H.P. media holds up much better than the typical bulk stuff like Memorex.

I use mine mainly to burn music CD's that I keep in a visor holder in the van, and DVD's for my grandson and two nieces. What I've found is that the LightScribe media holds up a lot better. A typical generic CD or DVD will start to degrade (skip) in a month or so when I use them in the van - swapping them in and out of the visor/CD player.
The LightScribe media is just starting to skip - after almost 2 years.

The other media I use is ink-jet printable (in this case Memorex is the only locally available) in conjunction with an Epson Stylus Photo RX200 printer.
($99 or less for the printer)

Important Note - not all printers will print to CD/DVD. "Stick on or stomp on" labels will cause a DVD to flutter because they unbalance it. Printing directly to the media eliminates the flutter.

Here's a quick picture of the two - these are CD's, but the DVD's look the same. For just a little bit more, it adds a great deal of "professional" appearance to the CD/DVD.