PDA

View Full Version : Can of Worms

Barbara Roberts
02-06-2007, 7:38 PM
Hi all. Hope this doesn't open a can of worms. Looking to replace my Rockler Dovetail Jig. Between the Leigh D16 and the Akeda DC16V. Anyone own or use both. Any opinions will be helpfull. Thanks.

Jim Becker
02-06-2007, 7:45 PM
The Akeda gets high marks from owners. It's very nice system...easy to use and versatile. I'm glad it's on your short-list.

The smaller Leigh (16") is a relatively new product. I don't recall anyone posting about ownership yet, although I could be mistaken. Those of us who own it's bigger sister, the D4, love them. The D16 is a little different, but based on similar design...it should be a good product and the manufacturer support is top notch. (You often are communicating with the fellow who is at the top of the food chain when you call or write)

The PC 4212 is a mid-size (12") jig that offers both half-blind and through dovetails if you don't need the 16" dimension for your work.

Jim W. White
02-06-2007, 7:46 PM
I don't think you'll do wrong with either ...but for what it's worth AKEDA ended up with my money ...and I've been very happy with it. I can't imagine it getting much easier than this jig. The instruction booklet is just foolproof. Some of the videos you can watch on Woodcraft were helpful as was John Lucas's (woodshop demos) assesment of the various jigs.

Jim in Idaho

Rennie Heuer
02-07-2007, 8:52 AM
Barbara,

I own a D4 and love it. Check out the latest issue of WOOD - they rate DT jigs under $300 - the PC 4212 and the D16 got the highest marks.

Dennis Peacock
02-07-2007, 9:08 AM
Barbara,

You are looking at the best choices IMHO. I've used a few DT jigs over the years and I've even gotten to use the Akeda. I quickly fell in love with the Akeda because it was easy and very versitle.

I don't believe you'd go wrong with either one, but the Akeda is on my list for the next DT jig for my shop.

Don Bullock
02-07-2007, 9:41 AM
There is a good DJ test article in the November/December 2006 issue of Fine Woodworking. It's a well written article. The reviewer stated that if the Akeda was 24 inches wide, it would give the Leigh competition for best-overall award. It seems that if the width capacity of 16 inches isn't too limiting for you it's definately easier to use than any of the others currently on the market.

Mark Valsi
02-07-2007, 10:56 AM
i really like my Akeda !!!

easy to use, and some neat features !!

Jerry Bittner
02-07-2007, 3:10 PM
Bought it and love it. Great customer support although the company has been sold although the former owner is on the staff heading up the product. A few weeks ago he advised me that they are coming out with a larger model -- forget the size.

The 16" model seems like it weighs a ton because it is so well built.

check it out.

http://akeda.com/