PDA

View Full Version : Orante Frame Or Border?

James & Zelma Litzmann
02-06-2007, 5:44 PM
O.K., I am going to show how smart I am not . . . again . . .

If a person says they want an Ornate frame or border . . . exactly what are they asking for and do any of you know a good place to purchase these borders/frames. I thought I knew what this was, now I am doubting myself.

God Bless,
Zelma

Tom Majewski
02-06-2007, 5:56 PM
Whatever you are making, do they want it engraved WITH an ornate frame/border, or mounted IN an ornate frame.

Just google images for ornate frame or border. The customer could narrow it down a bit according to style/era.

Joe Pelonio
02-06-2007, 6:04 PM
Do you mean a frame that you'd buy to put a sign in? By ornate they probably mean it looks carved with a lot of detail, sort of a barouque look like these:

http://www.artright.com/

I would call them "busy".

Very expensive. The problem is, if you order it custom made to the correct size and they don't like it, you are stuck.

When a customer asks me for a frame around their sign I send them to the local framing shop to buy their own and bring it in to me. Otherwise I could spend hours getting the samples (some places require a deposit) for the various frame styles for them to choose from.

On the other hand, if you mean a border around something you are engraving, then you need to find some of the more elaborate borders in your clipart, such as these:

James & Zelma Litzmann
02-06-2007, 6:19 PM
See, I told you. Sorry, I wasn't very clear. They want us to engrave a border around a plaque and they used the works "very ornate". Good opportunity here and don't want to lose it? I've got some corners that I thought would do but I think I got over ruled?:)

Thanks everyone.

God Bless,
Zelma

Joe Pelonio
02-06-2007, 6:32 PM
See, I told you. Sorry, I wasn't very clear. They want us to engrave a border around a plaque and they used the works "very ornate". :)

Thanks everyone.

God Bless,
Zelma

In that case, look in your clipart. The best and easiest to use borders I find are on the old Corel 5 CD, if you happen to have that.

James & Zelma Litzmann
02-06-2007, 6:34 PM
Nope, of course not. I am guessing by ornate they want something with alot of scroll, you think? Thanks again for helping.

God Bless,
Zelma

Richard Rumancik
02-06-2007, 9:57 PM
You can go to Google and search on images for "ornate frame" or variations of this. You will get some ideas of what other people would consider ornate. Next problem is to get some artwork for one.

MAYBE if you were really lucky you could find a bitmap large enough to work with, but that may be wishful thinking.

A vector file is really the most flexible as you can stretch it a bit and scale it as needed without creating quality problems. Search using keywords: vector, clipart, border, corners, ornamental, ornate, etc. to find publishers. Example: vector-images.com

If you can't find something in vector format maybe Dover Publications has some ornate borders and frames you could try to scan and import.(www.doverpublications.com (http://www.doverpublications.com)) Search on borders.

I suppose you will have to propose 2 or 3 options for your customer and see what they like best. . .

Mike Null
02-07-2007, 4:40 AM
Zelma:

I agree withthose who recommend checking the "borders" section of your Corel clipart files. You might also have a look at www.southworth.com.

Dave Fifield
02-07-2007, 5:52 AM
Zelma,

Ornate just means "elaborately or sumptuously adorned, often excessively or showily so". Thus, I think you need to obtain clarification from your customers as to the nature of the ornate adornment they would like. Ornate means different things to different people. To your customers it could mean any of the following (or something else entirely different): flowers/vines, scroll motifs, fleur-de-lys, paisely, Greek or Egyptian styling, tartan, animals, fish, velvet curtains/sumptuous bows, etc.

I would go back to them and ask.

Cheers,

Dave Jones
02-07-2007, 5:50 PM
Whatever version of Corel you have, the frames and borders sections of the clipart disc are full of ornate borders. But which kind to use is, as Dave says, different for everybody.