PDA

View Full Version : What type of wood works best for dying?

Royce Meritt
02-06-2007, 1:59 PM
Hey everyone. One of my recurring projects is to make wooden cases for a conductor's baton company. As of now they are only available in walnut and purpleheart. The company is considering some new ideas. Since a lot of these cases are purchased as gifts for school band and orchestra directors they are toying with the idea of offering some cases in "school colors" such as blue, red, green, etc.

What type of hardwood would be the best candidate for dying these cases using aniline dye but at the same time not obscure the wood grain? Thanks.

Steve Wargo
02-06-2007, 2:16 PM
I've found that maple dyes very nicely and evenly. Poplar dyes well, but usually requires a sealer coat of shellac before dying it. Good Luck, and hope this helps.

Jeffrey Schronce
02-06-2007, 5:04 PM
I like Ash here. Very light color so it will take varying tones very well. Very solid wood. Has lots of nice grain, though the pores are open. Ash is relatively inexpensive as well. IMHO maple does not have much visual interest (assuming you are dying non-figured maple) and poplar has too much variance in color. Again, I really like Ash for these projects.

Perry Holbrook
02-06-2007, 7:16 PM
I like Maple for light color dyes. When I dye black, I usually use walnut and sometimes maghony.

Perry