PDA

View Full Version : Grenadilla Statesmen Pen

Lars Thomas
02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
I received an unusual request for a pen. As it turns out, he is an Oboe-playing, cigar-smoking, pen collector. He wanted a large format Grenadilla pen. Oboe’s are traditionally made from this African species. The only place I could find the wood was eBay. When finished, it has a deep mocha color – with really great depth. I got it from Canadian-based seller: aplushardwood_com. The pen kit is a Statesmen from CraftSupplies and the finish is 3 coats of CA. Your comments and critique (aside from my photography skills) are welcome. Thanks for looking. Lars

Barry Stratton
02-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Nice job Lars, I like those bigger pens! I've never heard of Grenadilla before and a google search edjakated me that it is another name for African blackwood.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Very beautifully done Lars! The buyer will be looking for a place to insert the double reeds on that rascal! Nicely done!

Paul Engle
02-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Nice Pen Larrs, the CA really makes em shine . nice job,

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2007, 3:45 PM
Beautiful pen Lars. Nicely done.

Jonathon Spafford
02-06-2007, 4:04 PM
Hey, gorgeous pen... someone's going to be very proud of their new pen. Nice choice of wood! BTW... your photography looks just fine!

Lars Thomas
02-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks all for your comments. Below is the other pen in the set - a statesmen fountain. Lars

Jonathon Spafford
02-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Now that is a gorgeous pen - you did a fine job on it!!! Is that W. Buffalo or ebony? What is the finish! The picture is a really well done...

John Hart
02-08-2007, 6:08 AM
Nicely done Lars! They are both just beautiful. Your photography looks good to me. I especially like the curly maple backdrop.

Lars Thomas
02-08-2007, 7:38 AM
Now that is a gorgeous pen - you did a fine job on it!!! Is that W. Buffalo or ebony? What is the finish! The picture is a really well done...

Jonathon, the wood is Grenadilla (or as Barry mentioned - African Blackwood). The finish is SuperGlue.