PDA

View Full Version : Finger joint vs ....

Bill Webber
02-06-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm going to need to join boards end-to-end for my upcoming/ongoing paneling project. A finger joint shaper cutter has more surface area and would be a better choice, but...

I have an insert cutter head for the type of cutters shown, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these. This insert cutter pair is only $20. vs a couple hundred $$ for a legitimate finger joint shaper cutter. I only need to join a dozen or so boards, so longevity is not an issue. I'll be using the cutter to join the rails for my paneled wall, making 13' boards out of shorter ones.

Anyone use this cutter? Does it work OK?

Frank Martin
02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
From the looks of it, the bit you show does not appear to have enough finger length to provide good area for glue adhesion.

I am sure others will provide additional options, but loose tenon joinery using a plunge router and a simple jig or splines would be my choices for doing something like that.

Lee Schierer
02-06-2007, 12:35 PM
I tend to agree with the previous post regarding the short overlap in teh cutter you showed. More overlap is better in end grainjoints. They make some router bits that will cut a decent finger type joint.

Also your choice of glue will make a significcant difference. If you want really strong joints invest in the "HiPur" hot polyurethan glue system. I saw a demo at a wood show where they were gluing butt joints in pine end grain and asking observers to try to break the joint after about 2 minutes of set up time. I never saw any break.

Gary Herrmann
02-06-2007, 12:51 PM
End to end lap joint?

Bill Webber
02-06-2007, 1:11 PM
End to end lap joint?

Geesh! Too simple! :rolleyes:

I got all this fancy new equipment. I'm afraid I'm not thinking simple. End-to-end lap joints will work just fine. Thanks for the head smack!

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-06-2007, 3:14 PM
Get the real finger joint shaping head. You'll end up using it more than you think. Either that or you can re sell it.

glenn bradley
02-06-2007, 3:23 PM
Still not $20 but . . .

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_windo.html#finger_joint_anchor