PDA

View Full Version : Want to build your own MONSTER lathe?

Dario Octaviano
02-06-2007, 10:30 AM
If you can weld...this could be a good project. Set your own limit and price could be minimal too!

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=26160

http://www.penturners.org/forum/albums/dario/Lathe1.jpg
http://www.penturners.org/forum/albums/dario/Lathe2.jpg

Jim Becker
02-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Very kewel...all it needs is a surplus VFD controlled surplus 3-phase 2-3hp motor and it would really be the bee's knees!

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Now that is awesome. I went over and read the article. Flat cool and as Jim said a VFD would make this a heck of a lathe.

TYLER WOOD
02-06-2007, 1:49 PM
Well he said this post was made especially for me. I will now post my design. I have yet to build or get any opinions on this so please disect critique and redesign as you feel necessary. I have added the bitmap file in a winzip file so you can actually read it. If any of you have autocad or something I could send you the file so you can tweak it if you so please. PM me for that.

I miss stated the dimensions in a previous post so here is what the drawings actually show.

42" c/c
12" swing above tool rest
the motor is a 2.5 hp with variable speed (from a treadmill)
the pulleys along with the vs will give me more a range of speedds and hopefully provide enough torque
all other info should be provided on the drawing

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Mark Pruitt
02-06-2007, 1:54 PM
Hey, it's almost painted the right color too!!!:D :D :D

Jim Underwood
02-06-2007, 2:18 PM
Hey, it's almost painted the right color too!!!:D :D :D

:mad:
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Why would anyone make a pretty piece of equipment and paint it a puke ugly color? It's almost enough to keep me from buying anything from that company!:(

I like the color of this lathe! And the price is right too!:)

I might just have to go pay this guy a visit and make one of my own...

Rich Souchek
02-06-2007, 6:49 PM
AIN'T SO SURE ABOUT COUPLE OF PARTS.
The openning paragraph or so says this is based on a Rockwell/Delta headstock. The shaft in the headstock is only about 3/4
to 1" diameter and 1" x 8tpi on the old style Delta headstock, which looks like the one shown.
The lathes that can turn 20" diameter stuff have larger, heavier, bearings, shafts, spindle locks, etc. The PM 3520 has 1.25" x 8 tpi on a 1.25" daimeter shaft (believe so but this would need to be checked.)
The Grizzly lathe about the same size that came out last year was torn apart for only having the 1" x 8 tpi.

I love the idea of cheap, homebuilt equipment, but believe this one is only good for light stuff. The headstock was designed for 12 to 14" dia. turnings. :mad:

Rich S.

Jim Becker
02-06-2007, 8:01 PM
Umm...Rich makes a very good point. 1 1/4" or 33mm is most common on the big lathes. (My Stubby has a 1 1/4" x 8tpi spindle)

Chris Rolke
02-08-2007, 8:23 PM
ok i am really interested in this idea

i would like to do something similar but i am lost on a could of things

can someone explain VFD

could you use a treadmill motor and controller? ( i know those are dc)

how many HP would equate out to a 1.3- 2hp AC?

how about using pillow blocks for the headstock (1.25")

any thing else?

M Toupin
02-08-2007, 10:46 PM
The setup seems to be well thought out and looks like it would stand up to the average hobby use. I don't think the Delta 1460 headstock/tailstock would be a show stopper. Keep in mind that stuff in the 40's & 50;s was generally way over engineered and there was no shortage of cast iron back then:) . The 1460 headstock uses a spindle that is right on line with many of the larger modern lathes such as the PM90. Very heavy use might wear out bearings quicker than normal but in reality, how many 20" blanks would one actually turn? I think it's one of those deals were it's nice to have the added capacity for when you need it, but normally you'd be turning stuff much smaller than max capacity.

A VFD and 2-3hp 3ph motor would be a nice addition to get down to the slow speeds needed to rough out a 20+" blank. I recently restored a 1950's Delta/Rockwell 1460 and added a VFD and 2hp 3ph. I'm very happy with the power and speed control. If I were to do it again I would definitely go the same route. Oh, BTW, I've got less than $300 in the entire setup... The most expensive item was the new VFD for $185 and I could have found one cheaper the fleebay if i was so inclined. You can have a decent quality lathe for under $2000 if you're willing to spend time looking for parts and put a little sweat equity into it. There's nothing mysterious or superior about a manufactured lathe. With the right tools and know you can build something just as good, infact even better if your not worried about scrimping to save the bottom line:)

Mike

TYLER WOOD
02-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Actaully I agree with what you guys are saying.

I started looking at my design a lot more, then decided to take it to the next level of toughness, usefulness, ease of construction and common sense.

So with that I have upgraded the bearings to be collar beaings and the shaft to be 1 1/4" running through a 8" or 12" square tube 16" tall.

I am also reconsidering the treadmill motor for a multiple speed ac motor to help with the power/torque issues I had been seeing with using the treadmill motor. I will still use belt pulleys to give me even more combos on speed.

The channels have been changed to 12" deep 5" wide I-beams. Both to give me more stability and wieght on the lathe. I have also decided to only go about 24" long instead. I don't think I will find myself doing anything longer, and if I do I can make an extension later on down the road.

Boy looking at this lathe really made me reconsider what I was doing. Thanks for posting it. Also if anyone hase some pice of the inside of their haedstock or drawings for one I would appreciate them posting it. I am just flying by the seat of my pants trying to figure this out.

Dario Octaviano
02-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Tyler,

IF I am to make one...I will start with an old heavy duty lathe and just add a riser to the headstock (and tailstock if you want it) . You can then add your own motor and pulley system if you wish.

Ofcourse you will now have to cut the legs lower and some are more difficult to convert than others (cabinet types vs legs).

I've seen some schools dumping theirs for cheap. I think it will greatly simplify the process and may turn out a lot cheaper too.

Just a thought.

TYLER WOOD
02-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Can you get info on where to find something like that. I have been searching the net for weeks and can not seem to find anything. Ebay, craiglist, thirfty nickle, nothing!!! It would be nice to start with a premade headstock as long as it is in good condition.

I can't decide what to do, either rebuild or start from scratch. I know that rebuilding might be cheaper and easier, but the idea of having my own design and craftsmanship built into such a complex system.

Dario Octaviano
02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Something like these...

http://www.govdeals.com/eas/itmDisplay.cfm?itemID=359&acctID=699

http://www.lemonsauctioneers.com/online.html

Check with your local school district where they liquidate their old eqpt etc.

Good luck!!!