PDA

View Full Version : Incra Versus Jointech

Jeff Wright
02-06-2007, 9:42 AM
I am deciding between a Jointech Smart Fence/Clincher system and an Incra LS Positioner Super System. Any insight to limitations of either system (bit size capabilities, dust collection, accuracy, ease-of-use, quality, extent of technical support materials, quality of manuals, etc) would be appreciated. If Incra, I would specify the 17" Positioner and if Jointech the 18" Clincher. I plan to use the Porter-Cable 7518 router in whichever system I get. I expect to use the equipment to make decorative boxes and general woodworking. Thanks for you help!

Chris Jenkins
02-06-2007, 9:57 AM
Jeff,

I currently have an Incra ULTRA16 fence in use with a PRL & 7518. I really like it. I can say it fits my needs real nice. I have modified my fence a bit. I opened up the bit opening to accomodate larger bits. Also I have added some UHWM aux fences to mine.

If you take a look here: http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/routertable_5.html

you can get a good idea of what Dizzy did to his setup in terms of DC. I would like to do this myself, but I have not had the time.

I have not run out of fence length or have any regrets of getting the smaller system. Though this can all depend on the type of work you do. I have cut dovetails and finger joints with NP, though they were not dresser drawers either. I did end up buying the templates after market (as they are not included in this set) for about $20. Though not much later I found I didn't have a need for half the templates. As well I found a program on the internet that you could print out custom templates to your specs that was FREE. I suggest trying this first before buying the templates.

I know the regular 17" LS positioner system offers more precision stops and telescoping arms. I do not find a need for a precision stopping system. I am not one that has the digitial readout for bit height and fence depth... I figure if I go this route I'll spend all day taking measurements and trying to work wood as if I were machining metal, rather than get anything done.

I have no exposure to any of the Jointech products, so I can not help there.

JayStPeter
02-06-2007, 10:28 AM
The LS positioner has new features over the old Incra that I had. So, some of the reasons I "upgraded" to a Jointech are gone. I'm not sure if the LS has the anti-paralax cursor, but you could easily modify the standard cursor the same way. The positioner is only part of the reason I got the jointech, the fence itself is a major reason.
I modified the heck out of my old Incra Pro system, pretty much like Dizzy in the link posted by Chris above. The mods to cut out a bigger opening left the fence pretty weak and I managed to bend one. So, it came down to a wonderfence upgrade vs. Jointech to me. Even with the mods, I don't think the standard Incra fence is the greatest for general use. I really like the beefy Jointech fence. The ZC inserts are a pretty nice feature. The jointech fence uses a dovetail slot in the top to drive the sled so it can't rotate out of the slot as you go. This is good and bad. The good is the non rotation thing. The bad is that it is more difficult to make your own jigs ... not impossible, just more difficult. The fence DC works well on the Jointech, but does come off one side instead of the middle. I can't count that as an advantage or disadvantage, just whatever you prefer.
I made my decision by playing with each at the demo booths at a WW show. My preference was for the simplicity and strength of the Jointech fence over the wonderfence. Back then, the positioner advantages were an extra push in that direction. It wasn't an easy decision and I think you'll be happy either way. Both have been great companies to deal with.

Glen Blanchard
02-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Jeff, I have owned both systems. They are both great additions to any router table and they are both backed by great companies with wonderful people and outstanding service. That being said, I would have to give the "edge" to Jointech. I find the following items make the JT a slightly better system (IMO of course)

JT has zero clearance inserts for the fence
JT has a dovetailed slot on the top of their fence (used for accessories)
center-finder system in JT is easy to use and works great (critical for symmetrical joints)
anti-parallax cursor window
JT has lifetime warranty (not sure about Incra's warranty)You cannot make a mistake with either of these systems. I just prefer the JT.

I have no affiliation with JT. Just a happy customer.

Bernhard Lampert
02-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I have the Incra but only because 'it was deal' (basically brand new ). However, my first choice would be the Jointech. IMHO, the clincher is more substantial and build heavier. The adjustments on the clincher seem to be better engeneered, but this may be just personal preference.
I actually use the Incra LS on my slider to cut solid edging for cabinetry fronts. It does quite well: repeating cuts of 3 mm of a solid board are dead on, variation is less than 0.1mm as determined with a caliper. So all in all I think either one is a well build jig.

Bernhard

Jeff Wright
02-06-2007, 6:02 PM
Jeff,

If you take a look here: http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/routertable_5.html

you can get a good idea of what Dizzy did to his setup in terms of DC. I would like to do this myself, but I have not had the time.

Chris, Dizzy's photo tour is outstanding! Thank you for your suggestions. Your ideas and those of the other responders are a great help.

David Giles
02-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Jeff, I've also owned both and concur with the comments above. For a table saw fence, I prefer the single piece Incra. For a router use, I like the Jointech better. On a table saw, the Incra setup was much easier. On a router table, I liked the ZCI insert and the right angle push sled and stops better. Overall the differences are slight and either one is a nice system.

You could just pick the color that goes best with your other equipment.

Ed Labadie
02-07-2007, 11:58 AM
I have the Jointech 32" fence & 12" clincher. I have been very happy with it, even though I did have to make a few modifications.
The clincher will not keep the ends of the fence from moving slightly, the strength to secure the fence just isn't there. I made a single key to bolt the fence & clincher which helped some, later I added the "t" tracks to the table. There are 2 blocks attached to the back of the fence & hold down bolts to the "t" track. The fence doesn't move at all now.
There was also some shimming required on the lead screw nut, it wouldn't engage the lead screw without holding the clamp lever down slightly. This was probably my fault for trying to slide the clincher with the lead screw nut engaged. :rolleyes:

Ed

Rob Nolan
02-07-2007, 12:38 PM
I have never used the Incra and I'm sure it's a great system. I love the jointech and can't imagine not having it. I also have a PC 7518 mounted under the table so I can use it both for the tablesaw and the router.

Here is a pic ... the pic is more of the saw and not the JT fence clincher system.

Sam Chambers
02-07-2007, 3:05 PM
The clincher will not keep the ends of the fence from moving slightly, the strength to secure the fence just isn't there.
Ed, it sounds like the gib screws on your Clincher need to be adjusted. Call Jointech and they'll walk you through it. Mine is solid as a rock...or at least it was before I monkeyed with the gib screws! :o

Joel Earl
11-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Chris, Dizzy's photo tour is outstanding! Thank you for your suggestions. Your ideas and those of the other responders are a great help.

Does anyone have these or know where they are. This is exactly what I am searching for I think. Thank ya