PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector enclosure

Steve Hayes
02-06-2007, 9:40 AM
I am looking to build an enclosure for my dust collector. The main reason is to help reduce the noise. It's a Jet DC650. Not huge but works great in a small shop. It will be around 2'X6' and have a door for dumping and maintenence, basically a closet. I would also like to insulate to help keep the noise down. Any input or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Jim Becker
02-06-2007, 9:59 AM
You need an air return to the shop...baffle it to avoid direct noise transmission, but don't forget it. My DC closet has worked out very well...2x4 construction, drywall on the outside, unfaced fiberglass insulation between the studs and 1/4" pegboard on the inside with the rough side out.

Chris Jenkins
02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Jim, I too would also like to do this. A question I have is, should we put a filter in where the air return is? Kind of a filter window? Also as far as sound goes. Is your "closet" mounted to the concrete walls? I'm to understand that the sound transmission WILL transfer if it is ancored to the walls.

Also why not drywall on the inside? Does the hardboard allow the sound to absorb into teh insulation, rather than bounce with drywall?

Jim Becker
02-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Chris, my closet is bounded by a concrete wall. Strictly speaking, yes fastening directly can cause sound transmission, but we're not talking about building a sound studio here. (If this is a basement situation with living space, perhaps it is more of an issue) I chose the pegboard on the inside as the rough surface and the holes break up the reflected sound and also create a bass trap to reduce rumble. I can barely hear my compressor when it runs and the cyclone isn't much louder.

Howard Rosenberg
02-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi Jim -

Your enclosure sounds interesting.

Any photos and other descriptions would sure be welcome.

Thank you.

Howard

Steve Hayes
02-06-2007, 3:05 PM
Any suggestions on the baffle?

Gary Lange
02-06-2007, 3:37 PM
Now I have something else to do when building my Shop. I need to enclose the Dust Collector. I never gave this a thought til I saw this post and now I can see that the noise would be a real problem. Thanks for the informative information.

Al Killian
02-06-2007, 4:29 PM
You can use strips of rubber roofing between the concrete and the wood to help with noise transfer. Foam insul. board might help dampen the noise better then fiberclass.

Jim Becker
02-06-2007, 4:54 PM
Information on my DC closet can be seen at these links:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6983

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19218&d=1115515893

Air Return:

Ben Grunow
02-06-2007, 9:45 PM
An egg crate mattress pad wil kill loud noises. Put these up with chicken wire covering so they dont sag onto hot or moving parts.

This sounds odd but it works and is cheap. Especially in tight spaces.

Bob Michaels
02-26-2017, 9:45 PM
Jim, is that a metal door on your DC closet? I like your no-nonsense straight forward approach to containing noise. No drywall, no double walls, no "green glue." Anything else i should know before starting mine. As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Bob

Nike Nihiser
02-26-2017, 10:24 PM
From what I read foam board does not attenuate sound better than fiberglass. Roxul would be better than fiberglass however.

Jim Becker
02-27-2017, 9:10 AM
Jim, is that a metal door on your DC closet? I like your no-nonsense straight forward approach to containing noise. No drywall, no double walls, no "green glue." Anything else i should know before starting mine. As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Bob

Insulated steel door, but the walls are 2x4 studs with fiberglass insulation and 1/4" hardboard pegboard rough side out on the inside. The air return to the shop is a baffled bent pathway in the ceiling I-joists so there's no direct sound transmission back to the shop. Sound reduction is notable for both the cyclone and the compressor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Woodworking/air-return.jpg