PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and some questions

Bert Saenen
11-29-2003, 9:07 PM
Hello everybody,

I am 33 years old and I have just started to take up woodwordking—the neander variety—as a hobby. My day job is very much a desk job and rather abstract (research in economics at the university). I wanted to do something creative with my hands and I also love wood as a material. This leads obviously to hand tool woodworking! Also, hand tools appeal to me because it's less noisy, it's better for my health (no dust) and it's less dangerous for my fingers and limbs in general, all in comparison to power tools.

My ambition is to learn to make boxes and chests. In the long term, perhaps some cabinet work also. However, my first projects will be (simple) garden furniture. I have bought the "Garden woodwork in a weekend"-books from Richard Blizzard. These books feature many simple projects for beginners. The purpose is to get some hands-on experience in woodworking. Also, this will gain me some woodworking credibility which I will use to justify expenses on hand tools and to claim more space in the garage...

Where I live, in Belgium, it is difficult to find woodworking classes. So I will have to teach myself through books, videos, the internet and practice. I have already bought/ordered some basic woodworking and box making books but if somebody can recommend me particular titles, please do so!

My toolbox is still rather empty. The only quality tools I posess are a set of 6 Two Cherries bench chisels. There isn't that much you can do with just a set of chisels. What do you think a basic box/chest making toolkit should consist of? I was thinking of a dovetail (rip) saw, tenon (cross cut) saw, a block plane (standard or low angle?) a smoothing plane (#4?) and a sharpening kit. Suggestions are welcome.

I wasn't able to locate a toolstore that actually has quality hand tools in stock but I found the Dieter Schmid Fine Tools, Dick and other catalogues on the internet. I plan to buy tools as the need for them arises (project wise) and I would prefer to buy quality tools but a limited set of them. Old tools are aren't evident around here and I am not really able yet to recognise the good ones and I don't know yet either how to restore them. Although, I plan to go out looking for them on flea markets and second hand markets. In the long term they will have to complement the more expensive new tools.

My first acquisition will probably be a pair of Adria dovetail and tenon saws from Dieter Schmid. This would at least enable me to start to try cutting joints in scrap wood.

Best regards,

Bert

Charles McKinley
11-29-2003, 9:19 PM
Hi Bert,

Pull up a log and sit down a spell. This is a great place to learn. I would like to talk Econ with you some time. I'm more on the power sid at the moment but have started down the slippery solpe.

Von Bickley
11-29-2003, 10:47 PM
Bert,
Welcome to "The Creek". Glad to have you join us.

Lloyd Robins
11-29-2003, 10:52 PM
Hi, Bert! I am just starting out as you are, so I will not try to answer your questions. I will, however, read with interest the answers from the more proficient member of the forum. I did want to say welcome to the group. We will enjoy hearing from you and finding out about your work as you start down the slippery slope. :)

P.S. I just bought an Adria dovetail saw. I can hardly wait until it arrives!

Dave Anderson NH
11-30-2003, 9:04 AM
Glad to have you with us. Neander woodworking is a great way to start even if at some other point in time you decide to acquire some of the pwoered stuff. Your choices for a beginner tool kit are quite good as far as they go. Do not neglect the tools you need for marking and measuring. These are key items and become increasingly important as the scale of the workpiece gets smaller. A small measuring or marking mistake on a large item is often easy to hide, but on a small item it really sticks out and becomes obvious. Your idea of starting on yard and garden items is also a good one. Small mistakes ( we all make them) will seldom effect the utility of the project and they are good practice for more precision work as your skills grow. Another avenue to pursue is making fixtures and storage projects for the shop. One of my strategies has always been to use cutoffs and leftovers to make shop items and teach myself new techniques at the same time.

If you are going to do box making you might also add a rabbet (rebate) plane and a router plane to your list so you can do dadoes grooves and rabbets. Listed below are a few maring items you might make or buy.

Marking (striking) knife
bevel square
try square
combination square
awl
assorted straight edges
marking gage
cutting gage
panel gage (optioal for later date)

Again welcome, and don't hesitate to ask questions or look for help here.

Dave Anderson NH

Bert Saenen
12-01-2003, 10:49 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

I forgot to mention the marking and measuring items in my tool buying list as Dave Anderson pointed out. They are on my list! I have also orderd Jim Tolpin's "Measure twice, cut once" book. For the moment, my Nobex square and Stanley knife and tape rule are my only marking and measuring tools but they suffice for the projects I am doing right now. When I will take on more complicated projects that require more accurate marking and measuring, I will probably acquire some Starrett tools(combination square, straight edges, rules,etc.).They are expensive but they should last me a lifetime (I hope so).

Also, thanks for the tip on the rebate and router plane.

Best regards,

Bert

Scott Quesnelle
12-01-2003, 2:40 PM
I would agree with your basic kit except I would substitute a Jack Plane (#5) for the #4.

Jack Planes are really common. Either a #5 or go for a wooden one. With a spare blade for it you can have one setup with a crown to it and one fairly square across the edge.

Get a fairly big block plane. Something like the Lee Valley one. If you add the ball and tail to it, it can double as a smoother for you.

Next acquistions after:
I will assume you are buying your stock already rough cut to the widths you want. If so I would add a cross-cut saw (8-10TPI).

For putting in bottoms, I would get either a plow plane, or a moving fillister plane. One will let you put the groove in for the bottom. The other will allow you to put a rabbet in for the bottom.

I will also put in a plug for archive.oldtools.org. If you search on basic kit there you will turn up alot of information on getting a basic shop up and running for under $500US.