PDA

View Full Version : How to I.D. type of PC 557 when new in sealed box

Noah Katz
02-06-2007, 2:46 AM
There's several PC 557 bicuit joiners on ebay, new in the box.

I want to make sure I get a Type 3; the sellers don't want to open them to look at the nameplate, but there are serial and date numbers on the box.

Does anyone know at which serial # or date production switched to the Type 3?

Thanks

glenn bradley
02-06-2007, 9:35 AM
I'd send that question directly to PC. I bought mine just after that debacle and the box itself was prominently marked 'Type 3'. they may have discontinued this to get that issue to disappear into the past. Being as it's on Ebay the S/N would be conclusive. Is the price good enough to warrant the hassle if it proves to be a type 2? I just spent the extra $20 and bought at the Lowes to be sure but, as I say that was then, this is now.

Steve Summers
02-06-2007, 10:37 AM
I have a Porter-Cable 557, about 4 years old. What is the issue with 'type 2' and 'type 3'? I'm missing something here.

Thanks

glenn bradley
02-06-2007, 10:56 AM
IIRC, type 2 has the modified fence resulting from the DeWalt lawsuit over the type 1 design. There are several examples on the web of "fixes" for this inherently inaccurate fence design. Type 3 resolved the problem. If you haven't noticed a problem, I would say you're OK.

Anthony Anderson
02-06-2007, 1:07 PM
Noah, I have a Type 2 and it was an issue with the fence, as one of hte other posters mentioned. The problem was if you folded the fence all the way "up", so you could cut a slot in the middle of a plywood panel (for example) the fence (the part where the cutter comes through) would not meet/touch the plywood panel. This caused the user not to be able to stabilize the biscuit jointer, in turn making it very difficult to get an accurate cut. I found, online, a machinist that was making an aluminum plate with an anti slip abrasive, that would fill the part of the fence that was inset. I epoxied the aluminum piece on the fence/slot surface, and after the epoxy dried, I plunged/cut the slot through the new piece of aluminum. It was a quick and easy fix (cost about $10), although Porter Cable should have fixed this problem on the Type 2 before it was ever sent to market, as I could safely bet that they knew of the problem before hand. My 557 now works as it should and I am very happy with it. It does not get used often, but it is handy to have around. If you can buy a Type 2 for a reasonable price I would not hesitate to buy it and add the aluminum aftermarket piece. If I did not describe this clearly, ask and I will clarify. Regards, Bill

There's several PC 557 bicuit joiners on ebay, new in the box.

I want to make sure I get a Type 3; the sellers don't want to open them to look at the nameplate, but there are serial and date numbers on the box.

Does anyone know at which serial # or date production switched to the Type 3?

Thanks

CPeter James
02-06-2007, 1:49 PM
the box on type 3 is clearly marked by the serial number.

CPeter

Noah Katz
02-06-2007, 2:25 PM
"Is the price good enough to warrant the hassle if it proves to be a type 2?"

Could be; for $20 I wouldn't bother.

I do have the question into PC; when I first posted I hadn't found where to contact them. I'll post their answer.

"the box on type 3 is clearly marked by the serial number."

Are you saying there are no SN's on Type 1 and 2 boxes?

Tim Malyszko
02-06-2007, 5:30 PM
Just an FYI, check your local Lowe's. Last night, I was in the one just down the street and they had the PC 557 reduced to $99. I then went in today and they had them on clearance for $73 and change. Unfortunately, I didn't act quick enough and the last one was purchased just minutes before I got there.

The salesperson looked at the inventories of all the other St. Louis Lowe's and they too were wiped out. He said that Lowe's (at least in their region) is no longer carrying this joiner.

Noah Katz
02-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks Tim, I'll give the local Lowe's a call.