PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Needed On Shaker Clock

Jim Becker
11-29-2003, 8:28 PM
I'm currently working on a Shaker style wall clock for our kitchen. It's made from Black Walnut harvested on the property a few years ago. My question for you is as follows:

The lower door panel (which will hide a key compartment) uses a panel contained by nice M&T rails and stiles. (This is the NYW design from quite a few years ago but is based on a real piece at one of the Shaker communities) I'm considering making that panel out of something "very figured" and contrasting to the walnut...birdseye maple, tiger maple, etc., rather than a plain walnut panel. What is your opinion either way and why? I realize that staying with walnut might be more in line with the original, but this is an opportunity to do what Emeril calls, "Kicking it up a notch".

Thanks in advance for your kind advise!

Ace Karner
11-29-2003, 8:35 PM
Doesn't sound exactly like a shaker would have done but on the other hand it's your clock and your kitchen, and you should build what you want to look at every day.

Don Abele
11-29-2003, 9:26 PM
Jim, do you have any other accent pieces in your new kitchen that you can tie the clock into? If not, I think the contrast between walnut and a highly figured piece in the middle would be striking. How about a piece of burl veneer? While, as Ace points out, it's not true to what a shaker would have done, I think it will be an elegant piece.

Be well,

Doc

chris toomey
11-29-2003, 9:55 PM
Jim, do you have any other accent pieces in your new kitchen that you can tie the clock into? If not, I think the contrast between walnut and a highly figured piece in the middle would be striking. How about a piece of burl veneer? While, as Ace points out, it's not true to what a shaker would have done, I think it will be an elegant piece.

Be well,

Doc
actually the shakers did contrasting woods fairly frequently. the pieces just didn't have a lot of ornamentation. they let the beauty of the wood speak for itsself. chris beckvorts book on shaker furniture has has multiple photos of pieces using several species of wood. especially walnut and maple...they seemed to like birdseye maple in inparticular. i say go for it.

Jim Becker
11-29-2003, 9:57 PM

These are my thoughts exactly. Other than some other art work, this clock will be a major accent piece. The kitchen is in a green/off white motif (pics on my site) and this clock, along with a walnut Shaker two-step stool that will normally live below it will be the only real wood objects in general view...other than the butcher block top on the island. I was thinking that something special on the panel would follow in line with the rest of the room which while retaining a huge amount of the country look has a bit of contemporary with all the stainless steel appliances and recessed lighting, etc.

But like anything else...I can be convinced otherwise. Hence, my question. ;)

Tom Sweeney
11-29-2003, 9:58 PM
Highly figured maple panels set into contrasting wood frames happen to be my personal favorite style. Especially Cherry, Walnut or purpleheart. I also think the maple will help the clock "fit in" to your existing kitchen design & color scheme.

Another option, however, if you want to keep it more understated is to use a highly figured piece of walnut. A flame walnut panel would look great and keep more in tune to the understated shaker style. Though I've seen posts stating that the shakers would indeed use figured wood. For example, here's a blurb I found from http://www.furnituremasters.org/contmoreby.cfm?ID=29

>>Sewing desks, the design source for the piece shown on the facing page, are a good example of the Shakers' skill at blending delicate framing elements, highly figured wood, and well executed joinery into an eminently functional piece.<<

Be sure to post a pic to let us see how it turned out.
Maybe this will help a little

Jim Becker
11-29-2003, 10:03 PM
Highly figured maple panels set into contrasting wood frames happen to be my personal favorite style. Especially Cherry, Walnut or purpleheart. I also think the maple will help the clock "fit in" to your existing kitchen design & color scheme.

Another option, however, if you want to keep it more understated is to use a highly figured piece of walnut. A flame walnut panel would look great and keep more in tune to the understated shaker style.

The flame walnut is an interesting idea. I'll have to check it out.

Be sure to post a pic to let us see how it turned out.

But of course! I have some progress pics I'll post in the "weekend wrap-up" thread once it hits the site.

Jim Becker
11-29-2003, 10:04 PM
actually the shakers did contrasting woods fairly frequently. the pieces just didn't have a lot of ornamentation. they let the beauty of the wood speak for itsself. chris beckvorts book on shaker furniture has has multiple photos of pieces using several species of wood. especially walnut and maple...they seemed to like birdseye maple in inparticular. i say go for it.

Thanks, Chris. I thought that was the case, but didn't have a chance to do "real research" before posting my question. SMC is so much more fun in that respect... :D

Don Abele
11-29-2003, 11:47 PM
Jim, is the step stool completed? If not, you might want to also consider incorporating whatever accent you choose for the clock into the stool as well (maybe the top and/or treads). Just a thought.

Be well,

Doc

Barbara Gill
11-30-2003, 6:09 AM
I have made 8 of those clocks and either used a different species of wood for the panel or highly figured wood of the same type. Walnut makes a very beautiful clock as does cherry. One of my other favorites was sassafras. It depends upon what you want. True the Shakers liked plain however they did appreciate beautiful wood.

Jim Becker
11-30-2003, 10:54 AM
Jim, is the step stool completed? If not, you might want to also consider incorporating whatever accent you choose for the clock into the stool as well (maybe the top and/or treads). Just a thought.

Unfortunately, I don't think that would work out well for the particular stool design I'm considering as the steps dovetail into the sides with through dovetails...they are not applied on top and separate from the structure. I think that the dovetails themselves will add enough interest without being overstated.

As to the clock, I'll have to see what I can find in the way of something figured for the panel that I like...it's obvious that I wouldn't be the first one to do it!

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Jim Becker
11-30-2003, 10:55 AM
I have made 8 of those clocks and either used a different species of wood for the panel or highly figured wood of the same type. Walnut makes a very beautiful clock as does cherry. One of my other favorites was sassafras. It depends upon what you want. True the Shakers liked plain however they did appreciate beautiful wood.

That's good to know, Barbara. I may make more of these as they are relatively easy and quick projects and could help pay for some more tools... :D

Ken Salisbury
11-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Jim,

I have made a half dozen or so (all cherry) of that traditional shaker design. All with glass rather than a wooden panel so the pendulum shows. Also the clock style is circa 1840.

My suggestion would be to use glass and make the back panel from some contasting figured wood if that is the effect you are looking for. You should be able to find a painted face like the one is the picture below to give it a more authentic look.

Sorry for the picture quality - took them a few minutes ago of the one in my dinning area and didn't want a flash to reflect off of the glass.

Jim Becker
11-30-2003, 1:24 PM
My suggestion would be to use glass and make the back panel from some contasting figured wood if that is the effect you are looking for. You should be able to find a painted face like the one is the picture below to give it a more authentic look.

Interesting idea that I may do for a future version! This one (already assembled), however, will need a closed cabinet in the bottom as it will also serve as a "key keeper" due to its location right next to the doorway. For this clock, I'm using the Shaker face and hands available from Lee Valley.

Thanks for your suggestion as it just builds on the "idea file".