PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron rust...

peter slamp
02-05-2007, 9:35 PM
So my dad gave me some of his old power tools since I became addicted to woodworking so fast that I couldn't afford everything I need right away. One of them is an old Craftsman band saw. It seems to work okay but it has a good bit of rust on the table part. What's the best way to get this off. I'd assume an angle grinder is a no-no. Thanks!

CPeter James
02-05-2007, 9:50 PM
Electrolysis.

http://www.fboerger.com/Restoration%20Tips/Restoration%20Tips%20Page.htm#Electrolysis

CPeter

peter slamp
02-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Yikes! Is that the only way? Well I guess it's not too bad. Probably not too difficult if I can figure out how to get the iron table off the band saw.

Roy Wall
02-05-2007, 10:08 PM
peter,

You can use WD-40 and a green scotch brite to see how far that will get you....

Clean with Mineral spirits and repeat if you see progress...

peter slamp
02-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks! I think I'll try that first.

Sam Chambers
02-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Peter, I use a product called Rust Free, made by Boeshield. Highland Woodworking (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1309) sells it, as do Woodcraft, Rockler, Grizzly, and lots of other folks. I've been happy with the results. That said, electrolysis does work too.

Rob Will
02-06-2007, 6:20 AM
I also use the Rust Free product (Sears sells it too).

- Remove the blade -

First of all, use a razor blade scraper to remove all the rust you can.

Get a Scotchbrite pad for a DA air sander. Apply the rust remover in the kit, let it sit for a minute or two, then go after it with the DA. Repeat the process. This stuff is serious hot - so wear your glasses - nitrile gloves -and provide good ventilation.

You may need to wash the table w/ soapy water to neutralize the acid - but you'll have to be quick about getting some WD-40 or Boeshield on the table. It will rust in seconds.

Rob

Robert Mahon
02-06-2007, 6:30 AM
After you try the other tricks and before trying electrolysis, you may give Muriatic Acid a go. That can be purchased at your local Handy-Dandy hardware store for cheap.

Using rubber gloves, wipe a bit on, let it set for a short time (less than a minute, and then wipe it off. Wipe down with a water-dampened cloth, dry it REALLY-REALLY well and apply wax or other top-coat. On really stubborn rust, you may want to try using a ROS with 180 Grit paper.

It's served for me on many occassions back when I was working for a living.

William Addison
02-06-2007, 8:41 AM
There is a product named Ospho which is like one of the parts of the basic food group in *very* rusty areas, you can find it on the internet. Use a maroon scrub pad and wet it with the Ospho, scrub, and the rust will disolve. I've used all the products listed in the other posts and none of them even come close.

If you use muriatc acid DO NOT use it around other metal you don't want covered in rust the next morning

M Toupin
02-06-2007, 8:49 AM
Peter,

One of the best ways I've found to remove surface rust from machined surfaces is with a single edge razor blade. Use the blade dry and just "plane" off the rust. Replace the blade fairly often as the rust is abrasive and will dull the blade quickly. After you get the majority of the rust off, a going over with WD40, kerosene or oil and a scotchbrite pad will bring the top back to a nice finish.

Electrolysis works great for rough and odd shaped surfaces, but it would be a last resort for a machined surface with only surface rust.

Mike