PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Table Finished

Nate Rogers
02-05-2007, 9:23 PM
I ran accross the plan for this in FWW, I forget what copy it was in..But I believe it was in the last few years. I always that it was a cool design, I had a board that was just the right size for the top so I figured it would be fun to build. It is cherry, finished with waterlox original..It still needs another coat and a good waxing. Please take a look and give your opinions..

Nate

peter slamp
02-05-2007, 9:28 PM
That's sweet! Can you explain to a noob how you attached the top to the aprons/legs, and how you did the breadboards(? I think that's what they're called). Thanks! I have a serious table fetish! :p

Dan Oliphant
02-05-2007, 9:38 PM
Well executed coffee table, the wood orientation is well thought out also.

Hans Braul
02-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Nice work! I'm not sure the design really works for me, but it's so subjective. To me, the legs remind me of Yosemite Sam. Beautifully done though. How did you join the breadboard? I've considered using this technique on some pieces but am worried about expansion of the opposing grains.

Thanks for posting

Hans

John Michaels
02-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Very nicely done. Beautiful choice of wood. The curve on those legs looks perfect. I really like the design.

Nate Rogers
02-06-2007, 5:23 AM
Hans,
I am not sure the design works for me either...I thought the legs looked a little bug like, but it doesn't really matter. It was just fun to build, a friend of mine has seen it and said "that's cooooooooooool" so I said "want to buy it?" It might not even make it to the living room...That would be just fine also.. The legs were a lot of fun, LOTS of time with the spokeshave!

Nate

Jason Tuinstra
02-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Nate, looks great. I remember seeing this one in FWW and really liking it as well. I think he built it out of mahogany didn't he? Anyway, I like the cherry version that you built. Very nice.

Jim Becker
02-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Sharp design, Nate! That's a very nice table...congrats on completing the project in such a fine way.

Tim Malyszko
02-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Very cool table. I like the curve of the legs - simple, yet makes a bold statement.

John Timberlake
02-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Nice table. Very good execution. Nice natural finish so you can see the grain.

Alex Berkovsky
02-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Nate,
The table came out great! I believe the table was in the Jan/Feb 2006 FWW #182 issue. Did you follow Mario Rodriguez's technique to sculp the legs?

Benjamin Dahl
02-06-2007, 1:22 PM
Nate, the legs really remind me of some Heywood-Wakefield designs from the 40's and 50's. They might not fit everyone's taste but I think you would have no problem selling those.

Alfred Clem
02-06-2007, 1:44 PM
Don is correct; our first furniture, bought just after we were married in 1952, was Heywood-Wakefield of similar design. We gave it to our daughter, and it serves to this day. It's made of solid birch and has given more than 54 years of good service. Not long ago, I saw where several pieces of that same H-W design were being sold at auction, and I was stunned at the prices this "modern antique" furniture commands. There are fans of this particular make and design, and the market is very strong, I am told.

Mike Monroe
02-06-2007, 1:58 PM
As I recall the coffee table article in FWW detailed how to cut the cool looking legs. Good execution... might build that table myself someday.

-Mike