PDA

View Full Version : What the heck should I do with this?

Joe Melton
02-05-2007, 9:23 PM
Met a unabomber type at the recent gun show, and he said he had a bristlecone pine burl at home in the mountains that he wanted to sell. So, I had him bring it to my house, and when I saw it, I bought it.
The whole thing, included what is mostly the tree, rather than burl, weighs about 75 pounds. When I cut the burl off, it won't be over six inches thick. I guess I should cut it into small pieces and make coasters or saucers. Maybe some pens. Suggestions?
Joe

Curt Fuller
02-05-2007, 9:41 PM
Wow, Bristlecone pine grows at such high altitudes that it spends most of it's life frozen in a state domancy. That burl could easily be hundreds of years old. What to do with it? That's hard to say just from looking at a picture. But whatever you do, keep in mind that you have one of the longest living lifeforms on earth. http://sonic.net/bristlecone/

Neal Addy
02-05-2007, 9:41 PM
Wow! That's a cool looking hunk-o-guh. There's a gorgeous hollow form in there somewhere. :cool:

John Hart
02-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Yup....I vote hollowform. Pretty cool!

Joe Melton
02-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the link, Curt. I knew the bristlecones grew to an old age, but didn't realize it was that extreme. If the tree grows only 1" in girth (circumference) in 100 years, then this one is really old, since the trunk portion appears to be about 15" in diameter (not counting the burl). That would make the circumference about 47".
The trunk seems to be wet, so it is possible this guy harvested this tree while it was still alive. However, I hope he didn't. He had a piece of another burl in his car with him. This piece had been polished and varnished, and it was truly a wonderful specimen.
I think I may have something truly special on my hands. Now to do something Stinsonesque with it!
Joe

Joash Boyton
02-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Don't wreck it!!

Barry Stratton
02-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Now to do something Stinsonesque with it!
Joe

Wow, you're going to send it to Travis?

That is one gnarly pine burl.

Jonathon Spafford
02-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Send it to me... I'll make sure it gets properly disposed of... I never like people to take health risks with nice pieces of wood ;)

Nice catch!!!

Wolf Kiessling
02-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the link, Curt. I knew the bristlecones grew to an old age, but didn't realize it was that extreme.Joe

Joe, you have a 1500 year old bristlecone pine not too far from you. It's just south of Fairplay.............

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2007, 11:48 PM
If you are taking suggestions - you could get one heck of a nice HF out of that and still have several chunks of smaller burl to use for pens, etc. Whatever you decide - looking forward to seeing the end product!

Travis Stinson
02-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Man, after reading through Curt's link, I'd be afraid to do anything with it. I think I would just have to seal that jewel and admire a wonderful piece of God's creation as is.

Jonathon Spafford
02-06-2007, 1:46 AM
Man, after reading through Curt's link, I'd be afraid to do anything with it. I think I would just have to seal that jewel and admire a wonderful piece of God's creation as is.

Yeah, come on Curt... that is a piece of information that you tell him AFTER he has turned it... he is going to be shaking so bad he's sure to mess up :D

Christopher K. Hartley
02-06-2007, 6:09 AM
Joe, whatever you do with it be sure to build a special glass case when you are done. WOW!!:eek:

Dennis Peacock
02-06-2007, 8:48 AM
Yup, looks like a Stinson HF in there somewhere. :D

Al Wasser
02-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I have a slice of bristlecone that is supposed to be over 3000 yrs old. It is a cross section of the tree trunk. I have never figure out what was a worthy project. But in relation to what you have, mine is quite resinous and I would expect you might encounter that. If so turning it and especially any sanding may be very difficult. You won't really know until you open it up

Brett Baldwin
02-06-2007, 1:43 PM
One thing I would do is take a thin cross-section of the trunk and get it smoothed out and finished so that you can admire 1500 years of growth. Those trees are amazing. Giant Redwoods are comparable and impressive in more obvious ways but they don't really have the struggle that Bristlecones do.

As for what to do with the rest, I would set it aside and wait for some serious inspiration. That wood deserves more than a casual project goal. If you never actually turn it, it wouldn't be a wasted investment. Just be sure to do whatever it takes to preserve it till inspiration strikes.

Dario Octaviano
02-06-2007, 2:13 PM
I don't want it to be just one hollow form. My vote will be multiple bowls or platters...CORED for multiple yield!!!

I also like the idea of preserving a slab piece of it.

Can you please post a pic of the cut section? I really want to see it...even if it is just plain boring growth rings. Thanks!

Dick Strauss
02-06-2007, 2:15 PM
Joe,
IIRC I think it used to be illegal to collect any BC pine in CA because of its scarcity and age. I don't know if that is true for other states. It may have been a general rule because the BC pine forests in CA are protected as part of the Inyo National Forests.

Just trying to keep you out of trouble...

Dick

Joe Melton
02-06-2007, 9:55 PM
I was interested in seeing the grain, too, so sanded off part of one end to photograph it. The wood is quite resinous, and clogs sandpaper pretty fast. However, I did manage to "clear a path" from the pith to one edge pretty well. There are not 1000 growth rings - I would estimate 250, but didn't count them. It is easy to see how botanists use growth rings to estimate climatic conditions of the past.
Looking between the 5" and 6" mark on the tape measure, I count about 30 rings. That is a place where they are closer together. That is slow growing, to be sure.
You can see in these new photos that the burl part is not that thick. And, the nodules are rough, so there simply isn't enough material for a hollow form without using some of the trunk. That might be interesting, though.
One side of the tree was apparently rotted away, but the remainer is still somewhat wet, so I suspect that a living tree was harvested for this burl. Now the burden is on me to make something nice to atone for this other fellow's sin.
Thanks for the interest in this project.
Joe

Bill Boehme
02-14-2007, 3:56 AM
I would be concerned that it is a protected species. Let's see what is the number ... I think that it is 1-800-RAT-FINK. Maybe there is a reward ... hmmmm .... what does a VB36 cost?
Bill

TYLER WOOD
02-14-2007, 4:29 PM
Dang it Bill that was my idea first!!!! I was looking up the cost of a large PM, Stubby or something. Then i wouldn't have to build me a lathe!!!

Ed Scolforo
02-14-2007, 6:27 PM
Joe, I'm pretty sure the stuff is really toxic and illegal to own.:eek: If you send it to me, I'll take care of it for you :eek:
Ed

Bill Wyko
02-14-2007, 7:13 PM
Most definatly a hollow form. If your skill level isn't at that point save it until it is. That's a rare piece to come by.