PDA

View Full Version : table saw vibration

jason conway
02-05-2007, 9:02 PM
Hello everybody. I just got a new craftsman 22124 table saw. All set up and aligned. I installed a zero clearance insert (from sears), and it makes little noise when the blade is running. I thought that was odd so I checked the alignment of everything and it is fine. The arbor runout is .001 inches (is that acceptable?) When I start the saw and shut the saw off there is a bit of vibration (it does pass the nickel test though). I am thinking that the vibration and zero clearance noise is the culprit of the new belt and the fact that my woodstove heated garage has not been above freezing since I got the saw which was a week ago.

Any thoughts on my idea about the cold belt??

Thanks for your help.

Jay

CPeter James
02-05-2007, 9:17 PM
Sometimes on a new machine the belt has taken a set from sitting for a period of time. It may get better. Turn the saw on and let it run for a good while and see it it gets better. If not, you may want to replace the belt with a high quality one from you local bearing supply house. The notched ones run smoother and quieter that the segmented ones. I use both and each has its place.

CPeter

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-06-2007, 8:30 AM
Grizzly's infamous nickel test.
Often the belts are the cause of all the vibration.
Pull the blade and nut
Turn it on and see if the vibration remains.

If so it's most likely the belt.
Not so likely the motor but you can check that by pulling the belt and turn it on again.

It is possible for all four elements (motor belt arbor & blade) to set a up a harmonic frequency and create vibration - if everything is out just enough.

But the usual suspect is the belt.

jason conway
02-06-2007, 9:34 AM
Thanks for your reply guys. I am quite sure it is the belt. Another question is .001" of arbor runout significant or is this the norm??

Thanks
Jay

Lee Schierer
02-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Your arbor runout is probably acceptable. FOr most tasks you shouldn't see any problem with it. If the run out is in the vertical direction I doubt you will ever see it. If the runout is in the shoulder that holds the blade you may see some slight teeth marks in your cuts.

I would recommend changing to a link type belt and your vibration will be reduced. You may also want to upgrade the pullies if they are cast aluminum types. Both of these will reduce the vibration in your saw.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-06-2007, 3:16 PM
You may also want to upgrade the pullies if they are cast aluminum types. Both of these will reduce the vibration in your saw.

Yah When I tossed the crappy factory aluminum pullies and replaced 'em with balanced pulies from Boston Gear it was like someone turned of the vibrator switch. Such a difference.

glenn bradley
02-06-2007, 3:20 PM
The 22124 uses a ply-V belt and is not a candidate for the very effective link belts. I don't experience the vibrtion on my 22124 but I have additional cast iron and a floor standing RT mounted to the sides.