PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Platter

John Hart
02-05-2007, 7:14 PM
Guess it's platter day huh? The sawmill owner, where I got a big slab of walnut today, wanted to see what could be done with the wood that he slaves over. So I ran home and did this one in about 4 hours, then ran it back over to show him. It's 14" diameter and about 2" high. Finished in Walnut Oil/Shellac and hand buffed.

Pete Jordan
02-05-2007, 7:25 PM
Great Platter John!

Have you talked him out of the 700 tons yet?

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2007, 7:31 PM
Beautiful platter John! Great looking wood, love the finish and the thin form. What did the Sawmill Owner have to say when you showed it to him?

John Hart
02-05-2007, 8:00 PM
Pete, The other day, when I spotted this sawmill with mountains of walnut, I decided that I'd drop in and yak at the owner for a while. So...since I had the day off today, I ran over there. He really didn't think that walnut was that great, except it burns really good. He was thrilled with the idea that I would come over and take all the extra pieces away. So...I guess I won't be getting the 700 tons....only 10 or 20. I'm just not trying hard enough.:(

Steve, He fondled it for a minute and said, "You made this from that piece of wood I just gave you?!!"....."Yep", I said,"..and it was a pleasure to work with." He just put on a grin and started taking me around and showed me all the piles. I saw a large crotch laying on the ground and I said, "You see this one...this is what turners really like." Then he told his son to throw it in my truck. I didn't want to take advantage of the situation so I left before things got out of hand. I gave him my phone number and he said that he'll call when the pile gets too high and I can come and pick it up. He's going to charge me though. One twelve pack of Pepsi per truckload. Highway robbery.:)

Bob Noles
02-05-2007, 8:11 PM
John,

You should have never let him see that platter.... Your price just went up :D

Good looking piece from the Hart lathe as always.

btw.. are you going to be selling boxes of blanks again now that you are getting settled in?

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2007, 8:19 PM
Wow....that's pretty John.!!!! 4 hours hugh?? Shoot, I spend that much time in sanding alone. :o
Beautiful piece and congrats on your never ending supply of turning stock. :D

Travis Stinson
02-05-2007, 8:28 PM
That's a beauty John! 700 tons..........of Walnut.........FIREWOOD! http://joetonich.forumup.us/images/smiles/luv4yorkies_stinky.gif

I need to hook up a trailer load of Oak and head North for some swapping!:D

Tom Sherman
02-05-2007, 8:33 PM
That's pretty awsome the platter and the wood gloat. Wow 12 pack of pepsi for a truck load, that's a smokin deal if I ever heard one.

John Hart
02-05-2007, 8:55 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.:)

Bob....Yup....I think I'm ready. I'll post something over in the Handykraft Forum in another week or so.;)

Travis...Just bring an empty trailer....We'll fill'er up.;) You'll save on gas and I won't have to look for a storage place for oak!!

Dario Octaviano
02-05-2007, 8:59 PM
Nice...and a great wood gloat to too!

Hope you treat that guy well ;).

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2007, 9:50 PM
Great looking platter. John I like the form and finish. Congrats on the wood.

Mark Cothren
02-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Excellent work on that platter, Mr. Hart. Congrats on scoring another source of some fine turning stock!!!!!

Ernie Nyvall
02-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Must be nice to pass a sawmill on your way to wherever.

Nice platter John.

Mike Ramsey
02-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Beautiful platter John! You always have great stories to go along
with your turnings. 12 pack of Pepsi is $3.00...for a truck load of
Walnut? Maybe you could have tried harder at negotiating...;) .

Ken Fitzgerald
02-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Beautiful platter John!

With regards to the walnut and the sawmill........sounds to me like somebody's being taken advantage of..........:rolleyes: Congrats!

Neal Addy
02-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Wow! Nice looking turning, John.

Sounds like you're in there. Keep loaded up on Pepsi!

Barry Stratton
02-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Great platter John.......and mighty neighborly of you to help that sawmill out:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jonathon Spafford
02-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Beautiful platter... bet the guy at the sawmill was pretty impressed!

Christopher K. Hartley
02-06-2007, 6:25 AM
Beautiful work John! I really like the form on this one! Great Job!:)

Glenn Hodges
02-06-2007, 7:43 AM
I told yall before he was one heck of a mule trader.

Bob Hallowell
02-06-2007, 7:54 AM
John,
That's a very nice platter ya made there.

Bob

Mark Pruitt
02-06-2007, 7:54 AM
That's some beautiful stuff John!

Rich Stewart
02-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Real pretty platter John. Ya done good. As usual.

Rich

George Conklin
02-06-2007, 7:17 PM
I really like the form on this one, John.

Nicely done.

Bill Wyko
02-06-2007, 7:28 PM
John, is that platter really as thin as it looks:eek: Thats true talent, very nice job. BTW I'd be interested in buying some of that walnut if you're gonna sell some. :D

Keith Burns
02-06-2007, 7:44 PM
John.......EXCELLENT !!!!!

Corey Hallagan
02-06-2007, 9:31 PM
John, great looking piece! Making some great freinds in your new surroundings!

Corey

John Hart
02-07-2007, 6:47 AM
Thanks again y'all. This is really the largest diameter piece I've done. I enjoyed it very much. I was in a hurry, so I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I should have though. I'll take my time on the next one.

Bill...I've given some thought to the selling thing...and the fact is, I would be happy to ship as much as people want...but all my money is dedicated to the new house. I'll post something over in the Handykraft forum today and see if people want some of this wood. If I don't get it soon, someone else will steal it for firewood!!:eek:

Ed Scolforo
02-07-2007, 8:05 AM
John, beautiful platter. I like that grain pattern. If I were you, I'd probably join Costco or another bulk purchase center for buying the Pepsi. Gotta keep those costs down ! ;)

Ed

John Hart
02-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Good idea Ed! In fact, I hope to give him about 100 cases of Pepsi if that's what it takes.;)

And on that note...with a deep breath, I have launched myself back into the wood bidness. Here's the Handykraft thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=521404#post521404

I ask please that we not discuss this in the open Turners Forum, but SMC rules allow for any and all discussions in the Manufacturers forums. Thanks!:)

Art Mulder
02-08-2007, 8:24 AM
Thanks again y'all. This is really the largest diameter piece I've done. I enjoyed it very much. I was in a hurry, so I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I should have though. I'll take my time on the next one.

Speaking of the next one...

This was a lovely platter. I wish there was something like this in the fun/charity auction (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47045). Are you sure you can't knock one out today and get it in the auction before the weekend? :rolleyes::D

John Hart
02-08-2007, 9:50 AM
Oh sure...You bet Art!! I'll just have to turn it so thin that it dries instantaneously!!:D

Great idea!!:)