PDA

View Full Version : router bits

Brian Keith
02-05-2007, 3:49 PM
Should I purchase the kits that come with vaious bits and if so where would you recommend I purchase from. Sears, borg, Lowes, Rockler? Thanks

Don Bullock
02-05-2007, 4:02 PM
Brian, I'm sure that some will say no. I did that bought a set because I had no bits to start out and I found a good deal on a nice set of bits. I've found the set I bought to be very handy, but I know I'll be buying some bits that weren't included and there are sime bits that were included that I may never use. Only you can decide that. It all depends on what you will be using your routher for. While the set I bought isn't available, as it sounds like you have already noticed, many places have them. If you do go with a set, or individual bits for that matter, make sure to get quality bits. Personally I would stay away from all your choices except for Rockler. They would be better quality than your other choices. I'll let some more experienced wwers chime in as to where they buy their bits. There are a lot of good choices out there.

Derek Tuchscherer
02-05-2007, 4:13 PM
Right now Hartville tool has a set of 24 1/2" shank bits on clearance for $30. I have this set and it seems to be pretty decent, I got it free a few months ago with a large order. Here is the Description:

Hickory 24 Pc. Router Bit Set

This 24 bit set has a truly useful variety of bits - including straights, coves, beads, rabbeting, flush trim, etc. - all with sturdy 1/2 shanks, and a protective non-stick coating for resistance to corrosion and pitch build up. Set comes in plastic storage case with tilt out trays. Imported

Set Includes:
Straight - 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, & 3/4
Key Hole - 3/8
V-Groove - 90 Deg. x 1/2
Dovetail - 1/2
Classical Groove - 3/32
Core Box - 1/2 & 5/8
Flush Trim - 1/2
Round Over - 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, & 1/2
Cove - 1/4 & 3/8
Rabbeting - 1
Roman Ogee - 5/32
Ovolo - 1/4
Hinge Bit - 1/2
Chamfer - 45 Deg. x 1-1/4
Panel Pilot - 1/2
Half-Round - 3/16

glenn bradley
02-05-2007, 6:41 PM
I have been tempted to buy something like the MLCS 66 bit set where it averages out to a few bucks a bit. There are a lot I don't know that I'd ever get to and that has held me off.

I buy them as I need them. I only have about 30 or so (with some dups) at this point and some of those I bought for a project and then changed my mind about the profile and they never have been used.

I would find it hard to predict what bits I may want 6 months from now outside the standard (for me) bits:

Chamfer
Round over(s)
Cove(s)
Straight(s) - 2 flute, 3 flute, spiral, pattern and rabbet
Raised panel door set

Other odds and ends:

Keyhole
T-slot (for jigs)
Ogee (came with a set, used on one piece)

scott spencer
02-05-2007, 6:41 PM
Hi Brian - The philosophies on router bits tend to be split, but I'm not opposed to buying a modest size set of decent quality bits to get started. I don't think it's wise to spend a couple of hundred dollars to get dozens of low cost bits that include many profiles you're not likely to use, or that have many near duplicates. I started with a 15 piece MLCS set for $40. They were fine for 3 to 4 years before starting to dull.

If I had it to do over, I'd get a high quality basic 7pc set of the most common profiles from Whiteside through Holbren....$88 free shipping. They're US made top notch bits that will perform well and last longer. You can add other less frequently used specialty profiles as needed from other bargain sources....Holbren brand, MLCS, Woodcraft $5 sale bits, Woodline, Price Cutter, etc, for good value.

Freud, Infinity, Amana, Eagle America, CMT, etc. are other top shelf names more on par with the Whitesides.

http://www.holbren.com/home.php?xid=cc25a7ee725617cbaf203f63aadacf9a

Whichever you choose, get the 1/2" shanks whenever possible...assuming your router accepts that size.

Wes Bischel
02-05-2007, 7:19 PM
Brian,
I have had good luck with MLCS bits ( http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ ). I especially like the fact that there is no shipping charge, so if I need one bit for a job, I'm not stuck paying a flat shipping fee. So consider buying just what you need for the project.

FWIW,
Wes

Corey Hallagan
02-05-2007, 7:28 PM
Nothing wrong with buying bits in a set with a couple round overs, straights etc. Many brands of contractor grade router bits out there, Porter Cable, Ryobi, Craftsman,Rockler, Grizzly just to name a few. Many of these are made by the same makers of other well know brands. I have used bits from all of these companies and manufacturers like MLCS, Eagle America, CMT and they work just fine. I tend to by Freud bits when possible because I like the way the do business and they have great customer service. Whiteside are considered to be top of the line by many and I prefer their spiral bits.

Corey

Art Mann
02-05-2007, 8:32 PM
Like Scott, I bought a modest set of the Chinese imports, but I got the Holbren brand. They cut about as well as any and i think they are a good value. I have noticed that they wear more quickly than my first quality bits. I am gradually replacing the individual pieces with premium brands as they wear out. I don't think you will find better prices or customer service than Brian at Holbren. Whiteside quality can't be beat.

Rick Williams
02-05-2007, 9:46 PM
I think Scott offered up some pretty good advice. I bought a basic set of Freuds with the most common profiles. As I've needed them i have aded additonal Freuds and Whitesides. I've got a cheap set of 1/4" shank and don't think I'll ever go that way again. Brain @ Holbren offers up some pretty good deals on the Whitesides. I've also bought a fair number of Woodcrafts $5.00 specials that they run about 3-4 times per year. Will probably be buying some from Marc Sommerfield in the future.