PDA

View Full Version : My second piece on a lathe

Jerry Strojny
02-05-2007, 1:01 PM
It may not be that difficult to do, but hey, I started with a pen for my first project (took a class with my Dad at woodcraft). A coworker's daughter is a Harry Potter fan and knew I did some woodworking. So he asked if I could make some like this. I said sure. (thinking what did I just get myself into) The spinny abyss aparently. Thanks for getting me interested by posting a bunch of cool projects the rest of you do.

Almost forgot - incase you were wondering, the wand is hard mable, the handle is Kingwood. It's about 18" long.

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2007, 1:06 PM
That is a mighty fine looking piece you got there. I like the form and finish on the handle. Nice job.

Bonnie Campbell
02-05-2007, 1:12 PM
Very nice looking wand! :) Now, not to steal the thread, but is there a picture of 'Harry Potter's wand' somewhere? I've a great niece that loves the stories, so I'd like to pre-order the last book and give her a 'matching' wand.

Jerry Strojny
02-05-2007, 1:51 PM
Very nice looking wand! :) Now, not to steal the thread, but is there a picture of 'Harry Potter's wand' somewhere? I've a great niece that loves the stories, so I'd like to pre-order the last book and give her a 'matching' wand.

Not to help you steal the thread, but I did find this

Hope this helps. (looks more like a carving project than turning)

Ron Chamberlin
02-05-2007, 2:11 PM
Jerry
Nice job. I would turn one, but the only Harry Potter fan I know real well is me, and I'm a little old for a wand :D

Barry Stratton
02-05-2007, 2:22 PM
That is a GREAT turning. I really like how you combined 2 types of woods. Keep them coming.

Travis Stinson
02-05-2007, 2:23 PM
You're off to a great start Jerry! That's some nice detail work. :cool:

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2007, 2:29 PM
Great start there Jerry. Beautiful wood and a beautiful finish. Excellent results. :cool:

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2007, 3:00 PM
Nice job Jerry! I like the detail you created on the handle and the overall finish on the piece! Nice work!

Neal Addy
02-05-2007, 3:14 PM
Nice wand, Jerry! I'll bet she's casting spells over all the boys with that one.

Tom Sherman
02-05-2007, 4:47 PM
Very nice Jerry, don't stop now keep on turning.

Jonathon Spafford
02-05-2007, 5:02 PM
Beautiful wand... really like the handle style and the wood. I enjoy making wands and have made around 50 of them. Fun projects!!!

Jerry Strojny
02-05-2007, 5:38 PM
For the finish I just sprayed some shellac on a rag and touched it to the spinning piece. About 4 coats. What is the proper finish on turnings?...or what would everyone else have done... I'm sure shellac is not the prefered finish.

Christopher K. Hartley
02-06-2007, 6:30 AM
Nice work Jerry. Love the grain in that handle. You made it look wonderful!:)

Glenn Hodges
02-06-2007, 7:33 AM
Jerry, what ever finish you like to use will be just fine on a wand. This one is perfect. I like the contrasting wood now how about using it to get rid of all this cold weather. Thanks for showing it to us.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2007, 9:10 AM
Jerry....nice project! Nothing wrong with using shellac as a finish. I've gone through a goodly amount of Zinsers dewaxed shellac. Good stuff...great friction finish!