PDA

View Full Version : Using something other than Corel Draw

Scott Shepherd
02-05-2007, 12:48 PM
We don't have our laser yet, so while we're waiting, I can't help but sit and come up with questions. I have restrained my self quite well so far, but I can't take it any longer. I need to ask questions :)

I understand that it's sent to the laser using a print driver. I've seen numerous specifications like "if you can't print from it, you can send it to the laser". Assuming that an accurate statement, can someone answer a couple of questions?

1) If you were to use Excel to print something (not that I'd want to, but it's an example), how would you reference any starting point. With Corel, you can move the images all around. In say, Word or Excel, you're sort of stuck with the text where it's at to some degree. Perhaps that's set at the laser as a zero point and not a function of where it comes from, source wise?

2) Can you easily print from things like CADD programs,graphics programs like Fireworks, Elements, LightRoom, etc? Or is there a reason to funnel it all through Corel? If I'm using Elements and have a photo up, is there a reason I should take it to Corel, or would I do that right from Elements?

I ask partly because I'm fairly fluent in many other programs, but I'm still learning Corel. It's much easier for me to create certain things in certain programs. However, even if I was fluent in Corel, I'd still be asking the same two questions at this point :)

Thanks in advance-
Scott

Gary Hair
02-05-2007, 1:19 PM
I can't answer for any of the other programs but I just tried a test in Excel. I selected the laser as the print device and when I did a print preview it showed the 32x20 area that my laser uses. I guess that it is going to print to the driver using the proper margins and put the worksheet in the upper left corner. You won't be able to choose where it prints unless your driver has that option. Mine has "relative", "center", "absolute", etc. so I can tell it where to print to some extent. I still have all of the properties in the driver, power & speed, etc.

I would still use Corel or a cad program though, I need to be able to measure and place text and graphics precisely on the screen and have them be precise when engraved - excel won't get you that, I don't think.

Gary

Bruce Volden
02-05-2007, 1:23 PM
Scott

I think Corel is pretty much "industry standard" to laser engraving. So,that being the case drivers are coded for it. This does not preclude you from printing in / through other programs. I have printed through DOS when I was troubleshooting what I thought was a Corel problem (long time ago). Other packages I have used are adobe and graphics pro? can't remember. So yes, you may use A-CAD and others. Hope this helps.

Bruce

Dana Florian
02-05-2007, 1:46 PM
Your program must output "hpgl" (hewlett packard graphics language)to the print driver. If it wont, nothing will happen. Most cad programs will do this since they are used to drive plotters. Its that simple!! As for where the laser starts... The driver which comes with the laser will pretty much handle that.

Dana GCC ExplorerII 30w/ Bobcad-cam/Cadkey/Corel12

Richard Rumancik
02-05-2007, 1:56 PM
I am using a LaserPro Mercury - when I bought it I was told I could use AutoCad and Adobe Illustrator. I could never get Illustrator to work properly and was told I needed to go back to an earlier version. AutoCad was inconsistent as well and I couldn't find anyone to help. What I learned was that GCC did virtually all their testing with CorelDraw so I found that with any other program I was on my own. I can't speak for other laser manufacturers.

This was a few years ago - I don't know if the latest Illustrator or AutoCad will work properly or not on new machines. But after I got more experienced with CorelDraw it seemed easier to use it exclusively and import AutoCad files into it. I never pursued using Illustrator.

For technical parts I draw in AutoCad and do file prep in AutoCad (offsets for kerf) and then export into CorelDraw. Then I can play with layers, colors, sequencing (front to back) etc etc as needed.

You will probably be able to get help a lot easier with CorelDraw than with other programs.

I would suggest that you test whatever program you want to use ahead of time. Also test how well your program can export a Corel-compatible file (or how well Corel will read the native file).

Bill Cunningham
02-06-2007, 9:16 PM
Your program must output "hpgl" (hewlett packard graphics language)to the print driver. If it wont, nothing will happen. Most cad programs will do this since they are used to drive plotters. Its that simple!! As for where the laser starts... The driver which comes with the laser will pretty much handle that.

Dana GCC ExplorerII 30w/ Bobcad-cam/Cadkey/Corel12

I don't know about the Explorer, but I can send anything to my Epilog, from anything that recognizes a windows print driver of any kind. I have even sent text files to the laser from windows notepad and it engraved just fine...
Everything referances to the upper left corner..

Scott Shepherd
02-06-2007, 9:47 PM
Thanks for the input. Got our laser today, so the journey has begun! After seeing it all work together for a little bit, it's starting to make much more sense. Top left is all it seems to care about.

I'll try some new things tomorrow while getting aquainted.

Thanks-

Mike Null
02-07-2007, 4:45 AM
You shouldn't have a problem printing an Xcell document. Re-size your table to the size of the document or set it to begin top left.

Look at your print preview option to see what you're going to get before you run it.