PDA

View Full Version : Some help on box design - please.

Pete Simmons
02-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Just got this from a friend at a radio station who has received some of my work.

I’ve got a little business proposition for you. My manager is VERY interested in having you make “Registration Boxes” for all three of our stations. The ones that we are currently using are cheap and don’t represent us the way would like them to. What he’s looking for are ( 3 ) 10X10 or 10X12 box with a lid that is latched on. On the front side of the box will have “REGISTER TO WIN…” and our Logo, AND on the bottom front will be “Designed by: Laser Image Arts; Pete Simmons (and contact details).

These boxes are used on a DAILY basis and are visible to thousands of our listeners. We use them for each station Live Remote, Live Broadcasts, Club nights, and EVERY event where our radio station is at. This would be a GREAT opportunity to get your creative work out in the eyes of the public and generate new business. We would also love to have some business cards to pass out at events.

I want to make some first class boxes.

Any ideas???

Joe Pelonio
02-05-2007, 12:46 PM
I have done some of those for customers with exhibits at the fairs, where they do a contest to get your name and phone number. In all but one case I laser cut and glued up clear acrylic, and used vinyl lettering on the sides and top. Hinged top that locks, and slot to drop in the forms.

The last one I did their logo engraved on the inside of the front. If you are near one, you can have Tap Plastics fabricate the boxes for you. There are 2-3 of them in Oregon. You can have them cut the pieces, then you engrave the sides/top before they glue them up.

If you/they prefer wood, then I'd suggest working a deal with a custom cabinet maker to build them, unless you can do it yourself, and again do the engraving prior to assembly.

rick woodward
02-06-2007, 11:26 PM
You want to make your friends BOSS 3 first class boxes for free. Right? And they will be Great advertising for you, right? Would you please send me 3 boxes with my logo on the top. I will tell ALL my customers ALL about you. It will be Great advertising for you, you will lose time , money and materials,BUT , it will be great advertising for you......... This dotted line is a fish hook. I've had this fish hook dangled in front of me many times. By people wanting but not buying. Many had stores and wanted me to put my stuff in their stores even. For free. You do what you want, of course. But my real friends wouldnt do that to me. No offense meant, i've just had this con too many times. Soon you may have many more friends like him.

Keith Outten
02-07-2007, 1:04 AM
Pete,

Rick has a point. Radio stations are notorious for wanting to barter rather than purchase. Generally they are a losing proposition, sadly I know this from personal experience. Tomorrow morning engrave yourself a sign that says "Nobody Rides For Free".

Should you work out a deal that is of mutual benefit you might consider laser cutting 1/4" thick wooden boxes using finger joints. I posted several Corel Draw files here and several other Members uploaded simular drawings of various sizes you could modify to suit. You could laser cut the front panel and drop in a piece of clear acrylic engraved to suit the project. This design would be inexpensive for you to make and they are very elegant in wood or clear acrylic.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24422&highlight=acrylic

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7322

Check out Jerry Allens boxes in this thread;
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4879&highlight=acrylic

Frank Corker
02-07-2007, 6:29 AM
I have to agree with Rick also. This has been dangled in front of me also, my suggestion is to do the box but seal it permanently shut or a completed box with no base in it. Pass it to them and say "there you go, I can make one's identical to these but with lids that open". That'll make them either 'stump' up or 'shut up' and put their money where their mouths are.

Pete Simmons
02-07-2007, 8:19 AM
Thanks for the warnings. but

Rick - No I will not be doing free boxes for every person that asks ( I might do some) but these I do not mind. These will be used in my area. In fact most functions/locations they will be used in I bet I will know someone there or at least someone there has heard of my work.

I learned sometime ago that you never know where or when your next good opportunity will find you. I have done lots of free work. In almost every case it has lead to some type of quality sale.

I orginally got the laser to engrave my pens and pen boxes (WoodPenMan.com) I have sold many many high end pens from just the type of contacts I have been talking about. I think I have made and sold as many or more Stars&Stripes pens as any penmaker out there.

So YES I respect and hear your warnings and advice but enough of that.

Please get the thread back onto some simple ideas for box design.

When I said first class boxes maybe I over did it a little. I will reword that to nice looking, inexpensive and simple to make, easily engraved boxes.

We will save the first class boxes for paying customers.

Keith - Thanks for the plexi box designs. I have made some of those in the past but do not want to use them for this.

Jim Good
02-07-2007, 1:29 PM
Pete,

Will you be adding an engraved pen to the box? Folks using the box may need a pen to use. That might get you some pen business. Just a thought.

Jim

Pete Simmons
02-07-2007, 4:38 PM
Yes I would add a pen but given the conditions it will be used under I do not think the pen and box would stay together long.

Many people at the station bought nice pens from me and have bought and given others out as gifts. They continue to talk them and my work up often. As I said they are good customers.