PDA

View Full Version : Creeeker's weekend accomplishments...

Don Bullock
02-05-2007, 9:49 AM
Good morning all.

Well, we know what Jim Becker has been doing all weekend, but did anyone else get anything done over the weekend besides watching all the Super Bowl doins on TV.

I'll start off: This weekend was one of several firsts for me in woodworking. On Saturday I attended a demonstration on a dovetail jig at Rockler in Ontario, CA. That's the first time I've ever had someone other than my father, many years ago now, demonstrate any tool. It was an enlightening experience. I now have a better understanding of these jigs and my routers. The rest of the day I promised my wife that she could go shopping. Since both of us have been on serious diets this year (I've lost over 60 lbs.) we needed some new pants. Ours were looking pretty baggie.

On Sunday I had several more firsts. I made some serious progress on my first woodworking project after over 20 years away from it. The project is a trophy for our basset hound club. My wife and I breed, raise and show bassets. We decided to donate a trophy for the club's show, but the one we bought had a base that was too small. I'm in the middle of making a bigger base for it. On Sunday I used my router table for the first time on a project. Other than practicing a few times, I've never used a router table before. I must say I'm very proud of my first attempt at putting a decorative edge on the trophy base. Another first for me was using my new bench top drill press. I'll save the new tool gloat until I finish the stand for it. My work with the drill press included using a Miller dowel bit and dowels for the first time. Their system is very well done and simple to use, except the bit is longer than the quill travel on my drill press. It was just another opportunity for problem solving and all worked out fine. I also used my new band saw on the trophy base as well. This is the first time I've used it since I got it on Christmas Eve. The trophy has to be done by the show in March. I''ll post some pictures as soon as I get it finished.

I hope you all had a good weekend.

Brian Tuftee
02-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I finally put the last coat of finish on my first real project, a mission style jewelry armoire for my fiancee. Brought it upstairs, and proudly showed it off (flaws and all!), though I still have to get mirror clips to mount the mirror inside, and I need to finish gluing fabric to the inside of two of the drawers. Probably too ambitious for a first piece of furniture, but I learned a ton of lessons. I'll be sure to post some pics in a few days, including all of the things I picked up.

Also got started on some new shelves for the kitchen, nothing too fancy, just edge glued pine boards, ripped to width and routed on the edges with a roundover bit, then painted. But the simple projects that you get done and out of the workshop in a few hours are fun too!

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks for getting this started Don. I slept in a bit this morning since I haven't been feeling well.

Good Morning to you all,

Not much going on in my life at the moment except for work at the day job. Here lately, it has turned into the day and night job. I put in for a little time off this week and much to my frustration, I started not feeling well yesterday and woke up this morning really not feeling well.

Enough of all that.....The computer desk is gone and I'm waiting for the customer to finish the room it's going in before it can be setup. So it may be a bit before I can get a picture of it all assembled.

I'm starting the oval kitchen table and I'm also in the middle of a dresser/baby dressing table for some friends at church. I'm supposed to have it done this week, but I won't know for sure about that since I'm a bit under the weather.

Church yesterday and another day of bass playing. My playing skills are getting better and better and I'm liking the results of practice and playing.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Al Willits
02-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Learning how to use a router was pretty high up on what I did this weekend, that and adding sheets of Styrofoam to the interior side of the new addition roof section, so the garage is back to a disaster area again.
To much up and down on the ladder for this old guy, bad knees made it a slow process, but got 4 sheets up, its a start....
Lots of piece work, but most of the hard stuff is done.

Also cut the biscuits slots for the cabinet base, so getting close to done with one of two cabinets.
Can't wait for the cabinet class to start, knowing what your doing has gotta be a big plus...:)

Al

Greg Cole
02-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Went to the overcorwded WW'ing show here in Kansas City. Got there as the show opened on Saturday to find too many others already there, LOL.
Anyway, since my deal to get a used INCRA TS-RT & Wonderfence set up fell through.... I found myself writing a check to the INCRA Tool booth.
The new toys prompted a shop clean up and re-organize since the existing RT was finally booted out! But the Bosch RT was adopted by a neighbor.

Mike Waddell
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Good Morning, Everyone -

On Friday evening I moved a new bandsaw into the shop. I had to put it on a handtruck and drag that puppy around to the back of the house by myself. Once I got it into the shop, I left it there while I went inside to collapse (I mean rest)!

On Saturday I spent a lot of time with my son in the shop cleaning the cosmoline off of the bandsaw and performing some really good clean up around the shop like emptying the DC chip bin, moving all the equipment around so that I could vacuum well, cleaning the windows, cleaning and protecting all the cast iron surfaces, and putting some oil on all the handtools to protect from rust. All in all, a VERY good day of getting the shop ready for the next project.

On Sunday, I participated in Phil's Cheerio test (see his separate thread). Good fun and easy to do before heading into the house to enjoy a late lunch, some great family time, and then watching the game last night.

Excellent, calming weekend!

Mike

Mike Cutler
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Temps were in the teens for the majority of the weekend, but I managed to get 6 storage racks for wood built in the shop, organized the shop, fixed my bandsaw, made zero clearnance inserts for my General tablesaw ( The General 50-220 saw needs a special ZCI.).

Outside the shop. I got rid of a 1991 Pontiac Sunbird "Yard Ornament", and sent 15yds of "Junk " to the dump.

Greg Cole
02-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Links to pics from another post....
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51218

Don Bullock
02-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks for getting this started Don. I slept in a bit this morning since I haven't been feeling well.

Dennis, I was wondering where your post was this morning. I sure hope you're feeling better soon.

Greg Cole
02-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Mike,
Did it have flowers planted in it? LOL
Where I grew up that was the deliniation from junk to ornament....

Brian Thomas
02-05-2007, 1:50 PM
I had planned to make a crosscut sled for the TS, which involved first tuning up the saw. I actually made progress on both but didn't finish either. I've got the sled body and runners cut and ready to go. Still need to figure out the best way to mount the fences to ensure they're accurate.

I bought a dial indicator and dial caliper to help with the saw tuning. I discovered that my miter slots aren't exactly parallel. I've heard this isn't uncommon, so I suppose it's not a huge problem.

Highlight of the weekend was going to the NC State/UNC game. I didn't really want to go (thought I'd rather spend the time in the shop) but my wife got me tickets for Christmas so I went. I was expecting State (my alma mater and employer) to get blown out, but we played a fantastic game and got the win. There was an amazing atmosphere in the building. It was wild to watch thousands of fans streaming onto the court at the end of the game from my seat in the upper deck.

I also started thinking about my next project - a pair of nightstands for our room that I hope to make from cherry. It'll be my first time working with cherry.

Justin McCurdy
02-05-2007, 2:08 PM
I completed cutting out all the pieces that I needed for the NYW Router table. It took about 6 hours between 2 on Friday night and 4 on Sunday. I was able to clean out my wood storage and make room for both wood storage and a staging area for my current project. I sent non-woodworking garage stuff to the basement (much to the dismay of LOML). I always use the word "Temporary" when describing decisions I know she would not like. I also watched the NYW Router video again and took 6 pages of detailed notes on Norm's commentary. Hopefully this cuts down on most of the "gotchas". The wife accompanied me to the BORG for MDF and space heaters. I found out that the 2- 1500 watt heaters do not do much good other than to barely stabalize temperature when the outside temp is falling 20 degrees over the course of a day. However, running an air filter, dust collector, and table saw along with the heaters got the shop temp from 38 to 52 degrees in a couple of hours. As long as my hands aren't cold, I am happy.

Tonight I start dadoing. That is, if I do not fal asleep first.

Justin

Tyler Howell
02-05-2007, 3:26 PM
Entertained the neighbors on Sat which ment a whole lot of cleaning and punch list items. Modified my EC to accomindate more electron burning boxes.
Three Super Bowl parties with lots of good eats:cool: .
Have a safe week.

Eric Shields
02-05-2007, 4:40 PM
Haven't posted on this topic for a LONG time since it's been a LONG time since there has been any progress in my shop. However, with some free time the past two weekends and a little shop funds help from Santa my basement transformation has started again. Have incorporated (i.e. demolished) 12 ft of an existing hallway into the shop, framed, drywalled, and hung door in remaining space. Then framed in, no door or drywall yet, another section of the basement. Significant progress to be able to see the "limits" of my shop. Still plenty of framing, electrical, etc to do, but its nice to actually see progress made to the space.

Oh yea, also had a very pleseant conversation(s) with Uncle Bob. Yes, that would be a stealth gloat :D Have been waiting a good while for justification to make the Festool Plunge. And wouldn't you know it, SWMBO just called to say that there is a box in the hallway waiting for my arrival home :D :D :D

Dan Drager
02-05-2007, 4:49 PM
I accomplished not freezing to death while working in the unheated garage shop.....15 minutes at a time. :)

Scott Coffelt
02-05-2007, 5:06 PM
Well it was WWing show time here in the midwest. Terry Hatfield came up on we had a good time looking at stuff. Saturday morning the yocals and near yocals had a nice breakfest.

I headed to a fire station tour with my sons cub scouts, it was kewl.

Finally, back to the show to spend more money. I mainly focused on safety this year hauling in board buddies, griptite feather boards, and a gripper. Also included in the haul was the Osborne EB-3 (on backorder, dangit), some router bits and finally a Snappy kit for the Kreg. Nothing too exciting, especially not to the level of Jim Becker's, thus no pics.

Sunday was a rest day, along with the fact I got a kink in my neck and couldn't do squat. Watched the rain fest last night. Congrats Indy and to the elder manning brother....

Rich Engelhardt
02-05-2007, 7:05 PM
Hello,

Here's what I got accomplished this past weekend:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51210

This is the kitchen of a house my wife and I just bought for a rental.

We're about 85% of the way done with the demo, and just starting the putting-it-all-back-together again phase.

Matt Meiser
02-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Got to spend it out of town. I started by flying to Newark, NJ last Wednesday evening for meetings at one of my co's office out there on Thursday and Friday. Then I flew to Columbus, OH for the weekend to visit my brother and his wife. LOML and LOML jr drove down for the weekend. Then they went home and I stayed for two days of work at one of my customer's sites near Columbus. Finally drove home this evening in a POS Avis rental car without working ABS or windshield washers in a bad snow storm. :mad: :mad: :mad: