PDA

View Full Version : Lubricant use

Joe Breid
11-29-2003, 11:12 AM
I have been using WD 40 and gun oil to lubricate my equipment such as threads on clamps. This sometimes transfers to the workpiece and must be removed before finishing.
What type of oil is recommended for shop use?

Joe

David Klug
11-29-2003, 1:48 PM
Joe I find that paste wax works quite well.

Daniel Rabinovitz
11-29-2003, 3:57 PM
I like the LPS products

Bobby Hatfield
11-29-2003, 7:20 PM
I have been using WD 40 and gun oil to lubricate my equipment such as threads on clamps. This sometimes transfers to the workpiece and must be removed before finishing.

Joe

Joe try some lock lube, it is graphite in a liquid carrier, quick drying, a light wiping off after drying keeps it off hands and material, will not attract dust is the best attribute. It may take more than once to make a big "C" Jorgenson spin to open or close one-handed.

Tom Hintz
12-01-2003, 4:33 AM

Joe
I have been using a spray product from Dupont called "Performance", a teflon-based lubricant that comes out in a fine liquid that penetrates very well, but then dries leaving the slippery-stuff behind. It doesn't attract dust and debris and seems to last a long time.
Another good thing I like is it doesn't seem to migrate very far. I use it a lot onf the lathe, table saw shafts and bearings, just about anywhere that needs lubrication.
Something else that caught my eye was that the can has a cap with a built-in holder for the delivery tube so you don't have to keep taping it to the can, or losing it.
Sometimes it's thelittle things that are most impressive.

mike malone
12-01-2003, 3:55 PM
I have been using a spray product from Dupont called "Performance", a teflon-based lubricant that comes out in a fine liquid that penetrates very well, but then dries leaving the slippery-stuff behind. It doesn't attract dust and debris and seems to last a long time.
Another good thing I like is it doesn't seem to migrate very far. I use it a lot onf the lathe, table saw shafts and bearings, just about anywhere that needs lubrication.
Something else that caught my eye was that the can has a cap with a built-in holder for the delivery tube so you don't have to keep taping it to the can, or losing it.
Sometimes it's thelittle things that are most impressive.

hi joe
can you check the label for the full name...as a search showed up nothing specific for dupont performance.
do you know a national source for this dupont stuff?
thanks
mike

Tom Hintz
12-01-2003, 4:22 PM
hi joe
can you check the label for the full name...as a search showed up nothing specific for dupont performance.
thanks
mike

It is Dupont Performance, and I got it at a Lowes store locally. (Concord, NC) It was in the contractor section for some reason and I found it by accident while looking for graphite or something similar.

Tom Hintz
12-01-2003, 4:33 PM
hi joe
thanks
mike

Here is the url for their site.

http://www.performancelubricant.dupont.com/dp_products_multi.html

It was in small print on the back/bottom of the can.... No excuse I know.

Anyway, here ya go.

mike malone
12-01-2003, 5:51 PM
Here is the url for their site.

http://www.performancelubricant.dupont.com/dp_products_multi.html

It was in small print on the back/bottom of the can.... No excuse I know.

Anyway, here ya go.

thanks tom...that did the trick!
i'm headed for lowes now.
i think the full name is
"dupont multi-use lubtricant"
released by dupont's performance group
regards
mike