PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Hogs . . . Offspring gloat

Mark Schwobel
02-05-2007, 12:26 AM
As if the whole lathe thing was not enough, with all the must-have accessories and tools, I thought I was just about set with a modest list of soon to get stuff - like a slow-speed grinder and maybe the wolverine jig.

But, in addition to my son and I competing for spinning time, my daughter jumped into the mix. If my wife starts using the lathe - I'll never any time.

http://webpages.charter.net/mes549/son.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/mes549/Daughter.JPG

Jonathon Spafford
02-05-2007, 12:33 AM
As if the whole lathe thing was not enough, with all the must-have accessories and tools, I thought I was just about set with a modest list of soon to get stuff - like a slow-speed grinder and maybe the wolverine jig.

But, in addition to my son and I competing for spinning time, my daughter jumped into the mix. If my wife starts using the lathe - I'll never any time.

Like thats any surprise... you win the prize for being the 4,762,993 person to make this complaint! The black hole of woodturning will do that every time!!! What you need is four lathes.......... cha-ching! :D

BTW, resisting the pull is so much more stressful then just giving in! ;)

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-05-2007, 1:41 AM
Sounds to me like it's time to get AT LEAST 1 more Lathe.

Bruce

John Hart
02-05-2007, 5:45 AM
Mark...you have one more tool at your disposal...and it's free. "Kids....Go to Bed!!" Then you can run to the shop!;)

Congratulations on them having the interest though. Tis a good sign. :)

Bob Noles
02-05-2007, 6:27 AM
Mike,

I hear the Jet mini's are on sale :D

Bruce Smith
02-05-2007, 6:44 AM
Isn't that great, a family that turns together, stays together. When you go shopping for another lathe don't forget to see if they have any family purchase plans as there will no doubt be a cost saving for you similar to plans like volume purchasing. All kidding aside it must be a nice feeling having the family involved with your interests.

Raymond Overman
02-05-2007, 7:34 AM
New Jet Mini (http://www.amazon.com/Jet-JML-1014I-Indexing-Mini-Lathe/dp/B000MIR9JA/sr=8-1/qid=1170678680/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4547860-5946535?ie=UTF8&s=hi)

All it's going to cost is $600.00 to get your lathe back. One for each! Let them buy their own skews and gouges. :)

Jon Shively
02-05-2007, 7:52 AM
In all seriousness, isn't that a GREAT feeling?? Man, in the overall scheme of things, 2-3 more lathes is way cheaper than the alternatives (drugs, pregnancy, jail, etc). Just thought I would put it in perspective! Just think of the production line and additions to their savings account you all could create with your family business. Be proud, you are doing something right in that you are doing something they want to be involved with. Congratulations!

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2007, 9:28 AM
Mark - congrats on having such a 'problem'. Looks like you may be upgrading a little sooner than you thought! Best of luck to you!

Paul Engle
02-05-2007, 9:37 AM
Mark, Mark , Mark, my wife and I raised 4 girls , 1 boy, and after spending time in logging camp, none of them wanted anything to do with wood except what " dad " made for them. Condsider yourself fortunate that they want to share with you their time in a part of your world that you inhabit with out them . They will be gone before the wind stops blowing and the swirl of their lives will be with another, albeit the one cool thing you will share with them is their turning time. You are very lucky my friend , you have something special not all of us will get to enjoy into the future.:D

Harvey M. Taylor
02-05-2007, 9:41 AM
One of the moderators on another forum has a 17 yr. old son that has paid for his college by using 'dad;s' lathe till he bought a bigger one.So go ahead and get that powermatic 3520b and get it over with. Just a suggestion. Max

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Seriously Mark congrats. That is awesome that the family is taking a interest. You are one lucky dad. Wish mine would have taken a interest.

Gordon Seto
02-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Congrats! Mark, You are one of the luckiest guy; you and your wife have done something right to raise the kids. Treasure this moment, before long they will be heading for colleges.

Gordon

Neal Addy
02-05-2007, 10:34 AM
That is so cool! Congrats, Mark.

So, wanna talk about your next lathe? Most folks ride their mini for at least one to two years before they move up. I have a feeling you may be talking weeks. :D

Save money. Just go for the PM3520 now. Or maybe a Oneway?? Stubby???

Jim Dunn
02-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Mark...you have one more tool at your disposal...and it's free. "Kids....Go to Bed!!" Then you can run to the shop!;)

Kinda hard to get em to bed in the middle of the day though.:eek::D

Glad your whole family is taking a liking to your tools. Really, you'll look back on this in a few years and wish for it to happen again.

Dario Octaviano
02-05-2007, 11:53 AM
One of the best feelings I got is when my daughter asked me to teach her how to turn (a pen). LOML also turned her first bowl. My son also is in line...good thing I have more than 1 lathe.

Tom Sherman
02-05-2007, 4:17 PM
Mark it sounds like some creative scheduling is in order, nice problem to have Congrats on such a problem.