PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Cherry Candy Dish

John Hart
02-04-2007, 10:05 PM
This piece is a oops and sort of a save. A year ago, I tried to make a dual-collared hollowform out of this piece of Spalted Cherry. It gave me fits because I just didn't have the right tooling. So I tossed it in the boneyard. Well, today it was too cold to cut wood (high of 3 degrees F):eek: so I stoked the shop wood stove and got it up to a comfy 55 degrees.:)

The piece had been hollowed and and opening on each side. So I cut a lid and a foot out of Ernie Nyvall's walnut and tried to get a good fit. On my final cuts of the base, got a catch and it came loose from the chuck. Tore up the lid seat pretty good. I'm going to have to fix this somehow....probably need to turn a new lid. Maybe I'll redesign it in the process.

Anyway...here it is. 8" in diameter, sanded thru 800 and no finish. Any suggestions on a fix will be most appreciated.;)

Jonathon Spafford
02-05-2007, 12:24 AM
That is a beautiful turning... love the contrasting woods and love the shape of that finial... your lucky you have a stove in your shop. I can't turn in the cold! :(

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Great form John! Should be quite the looker when finished. Shame about the lid seat.

What do you think of making another thin collar, attach it to the HF and then cut down the existing lid so it would fit inside of the new collar?

Best of luck to you!

Dick Strauss
02-05-2007, 12:32 AM
John,
I would cut the opening/ledge about 1/8-1/4" larger to turn away your troubles. I never thought I'd say this but...I've had really good luck using a very sharp skew flat on the toolrest plunging in gently. This is similar to making a cut with a straight scraper on the outer wall of a box. A skew presented on its side seems to give a cleaner cut than a scraper and gives you better cutting feedback.

Try it on a piece of scrap and see if it works for you.

As far as the lid goes, you'll have to make a new one or...you could turn away the existing bottom tenon and glue a thin piece of contrasting wood in its place to give you a larger diameter lid.

Dick

Gary DeWitt
02-05-2007, 3:25 AM
Good save in progress there. What if you cut the opening larger and glue in a contrasting ring, then turn it to fit your existing lid? Proportions stay the same that way. Do you have more of that walnut?

Mark Pruitt
02-05-2007, 8:03 AM
I think a walnut ring would work nicely. I really like the form of the vessel!

Keith Burns
02-05-2007, 8:03 AM
Yup, always that last cut that gets ya ! That will be very nice when finished. !!:) :)

Jim Ketron
02-05-2007, 8:52 AM
Nice Piece John!
I think you have some good suggestions that will work nicely.
I have been looking over what you have and thinking that if you turned the opening just a tad larger where the lid sets inside, leaving the lower lip portion in tact and fill the complete opening over with some Epoxy/Charcoal. Re-turn it so the lid fits back in flush then it would give you a nice Black accent ring to go with the dark spalt lines in the wood.

Christopher K. Hartley
02-05-2007, 1:52 PM
OK John, Very nice! BUT, ONE BIG PROBLEM!!!!:eek: How do you expect any of us to get our hand in there and grab a big fist full of that candy and get our hand back out again? It's a trick to trap us. Right?:)

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2007, 1:56 PM
John that is a nice looking bowl. I think if it were me I would make the opening bigger, add a collar and turn in down to the size of my lid. You will do ok John. Let us see it when you do figure out what you are going to do.

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2007, 2:22 PM
Very nice John.!!!! I like the choice of woods on this one. Very pretty.

Tom Sherman
02-05-2007, 4:34 PM
I'm with you Chris I like the piece great work and nice wood, but that John is one tricky dude to try to trap us like that.

John Hart
02-05-2007, 5:35 PM
Thanks guys!!! Well...I was in a quandry. I really like Jim's idea of the charcoal/epoxy collar and I also like the idea of widening the hand port.;)

So, I went huntin' for some walnut. I noticed a little Walnut sawmill the other day. Little Amish outfit. They had...oh...I'd say 500 walnut trees stacked up, ready for cuttin'. So I drove over there and told the guy what Turning was, how much I liked walnut, and wondered if I could get some. He gave me this

It's 5 feet long, 2 feet wide and 2.5" thick. There are 8 more of these but he wants $25 a piece for them. He said that he'll throw all the crotch pieces and big chunks in a pile and call me to pick it up. I can also buy some of the clear stuff if I want.

So....I guess my walnut problem is over.:) I think I'll widen the hole and do the epoxy thing, and make a new hat for it.

Thanks again!!!!

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2007, 5:45 PM
LOL - Did you have the faintest idea all this wood was going to be available before you decided to move? My hat's off to you!!!

Art Mulder
02-05-2007, 8:41 PM
It's 5 feet long, 2 feet wide and 2.5" thick. There are 8 more of these but he wants $25 a piece for them.

... so that is (pulls off socks to count) $1.25 a board foot for huge chunks of lovely 8/4 walnut.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously, John. Do you work for the Ohio tourism board? Cause I think you're gradually building up a large group of SMC'ers who want to visit, if not move there. :p

John Hart
02-05-2007, 8:46 PM
I know! It's crazy Art. Each one of those pieces would yield a coffee table worth a thousand dollars. They're just beautiful. 'cept they're not dry. So either they need to be turned, kiln dried, or stickered for a couple years.

John Hart
02-05-2007, 8:50 PM
LOL - Did you have the faintest idea all this wood was going to be available before you decided to move? My hat's off to you!!!

Steve...I knew there were sawmills. But I didn't know there were so many. And all of them are little family-owned, stuck out in the middle of no where. I just don't know where to start. I have 5 acres and I don't think I have room to store it all. I gotta get over this wood collecting addiction!! :)

:rolleyes: Well....maybe not.

Art Mulder
02-05-2007, 8:51 PM
I know! It's crazy Art. Each one of those pieces would yield a coffee table worth a thousand dollars. They're just beautiful. 'cept they're not dry. So either they need to be turned, kiln dried, or stickered for a couple years.

And you've got that huge loft above your shop that you were wondering what to do with... So there you go: Sticker 'em, wait 2 years, build a bunch of coffee tables, sell them, and profit. What could go wrong? :p:rolleyes:

Ernie Nyvall
02-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Too bad about the catch. Hope you can fix it... is looking good.

I'd have to put A/C in my shop to get it to 55. It was about 65 here today and with the sun shining, about 75 in the shop. Brrrrrrrrrrr:p

Neal Addy
02-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Great looking work, John! I like it! :cool: