PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen cabinet door ideas

Marc Wittman
02-27-2003, 10:54 AM
I'm in the very early planning stages for my new kitchen cabinets. Actually, I'm only really planning on new doors and drawer fronts. The carcasses are currently painted white, I'll either re-paint them or probably will use veneer. What I'm really trying to focus on now is what to use for the doors. I really like a frame and flat panel look. I'm thinking about veneering the panels. Any one have any interesting ideas on frame wood and veneered panel combinations? I'm thinking about maple frames with curly maple veneered panels, but really not sure at all at the moment.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

John Renzetti
02-27-2003, 2:55 PM
Hi Marc, I just built a desk for my son and the panels are tiger maple (very pronounced stripe) and the frame is hard maple.Really nice combination. Being a real rookie at staining and finishing I botched the first attempt at evening out the color in the tigermaple and the clear maple. Second result looks better.
I didn't use veneer for the panels, but rather I got thicker boards and resawed them and got the bookmatched effect. You should be able to get some beautiful tiger or curly maple sheets already in a panel from a cabinet shop supplier. Depending on the quality you could pay up to $200/sheet.
Another good combination would be a cherry frame with a birdseye maple panel. I did this with a cabinet. The panels are raised and not flat. With this contrast I liked the raised panel better but it is just a matter of taste.
Take care,
John