PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Moulding to Brick Wall?

John Stevens
02-04-2007, 9:14 PM
I live in a twin, and the units are connected by a common brick wall.

I want to install picture rail moulding on all of the interial walls, including the brick walls.

The picture rail moulding is used for hanging pictures, so it will bear a small amount of weight. At most, maybe five pounds between any two points where the moulding attaches to the wall (assuming an attachment point every 36" or so).

Is there any way I can attach the moulding to the wall with nails instead of screws? I've visited my local moulding supplier and my local hardware supplier, but all they've got are the lead and plastic anchors that are used for mounting screws in masonry.

Bonus points for anyone who can suggest a nailing method that does not require a compressor and air-powered equipment. Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

John

Don Bullock
02-04-2007, 9:26 PM
Have you thought of using liquid nails (glue)?

Per Swenson
02-04-2007, 9:39 PM
John,

Blue masonary screws at the Borg.

Counter sink em. Patch em.

Here is the secret.

Stay in the joints.

Per

Ben Grunow
02-04-2007, 9:52 PM
Drill a 1/2" hole every 3rd mortar joint or so (about 2') and drive a small length of 1/2" dowel (maybe a small shim to make it really tight ot a hardwood wedge into the dowel to sedge it in) in each to recieve a hand driven finish nail. Old time simplicity.

Hope my epalanation makes sense.

Ben

Jamie Buxton
02-04-2007, 11:37 PM
What Per said.

Look out for the dust when you drill. Unlike nice friendly soft saw dust, this is nasty abrasive mortar dust. Clean it up before you grind it into the floors.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-05-2007, 8:21 AM
You beat me to it Per!