PDA

View Full Version : I've cut logs. Now What?

Irvin Cooper
02-04-2007, 8:22 PM
Good evening everyone.

ok, I have cut cherry logs into 4ft sections that were from some cherry trees in the burn piles cut by the city, as per my previous post.

At this point, i have them cut into approx 4 ft lengths. Now what do I do with them? Someone previously mentioned cutting them down the middle. Does this mean length-wise?

I have cut a cross section to show some of the burl wood, and also have one cut "down the middle" to show what I have gotten myself into. i am going back out tomorrow to get the rest of what I cut. I have put the winch on the jeep to get the cut sections out, as they are much too large and heavy to lift.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

Irv

http://www.astate.edu/executive/cio/timbercutoff1.jpg

http://www.astate.edu/executive/cio/timbercutoff2.jpg

http://www.astate.edu/executive/cio/timberjeep.jpg

Curt Fuller
02-04-2007, 9:08 PM
The sooner you can get the ends of the logs sealed with some anchorseal (or equivalent) the less checking and waste you'll have. Once they're cut in half lengthwise you can cut them into rounds for bowls or cut them into blocks for other pieces. But it should all be sealed as soon as possible.

That's some very nice looking wood. Nice score!

Bernie Weishapl
02-04-2007, 9:23 PM
I agree with Curt. You need to get the ends sealed fast to keep them from checking and cracking bad. When I started I did not have any anchorseal so I painted 2 coats of latex paint on the ends. Really did work well. So I found a way to get rid of my old excess paint. Then you can cut them down into bowl blanks and start turning. Looks like a lot of nice wood.

John Hart
02-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Nice looking wood you got there Irv!!! There's going to be some nice figure in that lot. Nice Score. Happy Turning!!:)

ken brueggestrass
02-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Everyone's posts so far indicate you are a turner. I am not and was in a similar position as you are now. I'll give you the down and dirty, PM me if you have most questions. Like the log on top of the load in back of your truck, I split mine in similar fashion. Tried a few blades and found a 3TPI worked best in an old underpowered Craftsman band saw. I chunked out widths as best I could, stated at around 4/4 and got bored so I moved to 8/4. Like a previous post, I slobbered on a thick coat of some latex paint I had laying around. There's tons of info on drying on the web but I took my own route. Stickering is key, with stickers from one row to be directly in line (top to bottom) with other layers. I have mine in my basement, off the ground, which isn't neccesairly dry or wet, air conditioned or not, just an old leaky basement. I intend to buy/borrow a moisture meter this summer and see where things stand. I've likely seen more waste than is tollerable to most but I did it, I did it my way, and I ended up with a pile that will easily yield a nice project some day. Enjoy

John Hart
02-05-2007, 6:27 AM
Ken...your post suggests using these trees for Flatwork!!!:eek: :eek: Yikes! :D

Seriously though....Irv's question stems from this earlier thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49738

Jon Shively
02-05-2007, 7:56 AM
John, glad you answered Ken's post, the ten thousand smart a$$ replies that ran through my mind would not have translated the sarcasm and sounded mean spirited. Bit my tongue until it bled as much as Ken F's finger while holding myself back from responding!!!! grin
Flat work, hmmmmmm, don't tell my wife I am still somewhat capable of doing that! grin

Jim Ketron
02-05-2007, 9:10 AM
Well this is the Turning Forum and from what I see you have some good advise.
I think you need to cut them on down and prep them for turning blanks if thats what you plan to use them for! I always cut mine at least 4" longer than the log is wide sometimes longer, that way you will have some extra if the wood starts to check and you can use the full width size of the log for your blanks.
Rip them on each side of the pith removing it completely if you plan to store these for a while, if you plan on using them soon I usually just make one cut down the center of the pith and turn them ASAP. Bill Grumbine has some good stuff on his website for prepping blanks you might want to check that out.
Jim

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2007, 9:19 AM
Real good advise from everyone. Really boils down to this - if you can ruff turn bowls now - do it. If you have to wait - then the end of the logs need to be sealed.