PDA

View Full Version : argh! box joint tearout!

everett lowell
02-04-2007, 6:51 PM
Hi all, could you guys give me some advice? I'm building a small blanket chest for someone out of 3/4'' pine as per thier request. I made a bigger jig to hold the wider panels ( first two went in the scrap box,third one I made adjustable!) I cut a bunch of test parts and all is well except I'm getting too much tearout , more than I am willing to live with anyway! Is it the pine, I havent worked with pine in quite a while, or is it me ? I expect me:(, would a slower feed rate help? I'm covered in sawdust,and need to step back and take a break before I do something stupid! any thoughts on this? thanks:)

glenn bradley
02-04-2007, 7:09 PM
Backer board in place? Keeper clamped tight to it; not just held by hand? These things have helped me with soft woods. Also, if possible you want to be cutting long grain, that is no crosscutting the slots.

Endeavor to persevere.

everett lowell
02-04-2007, 8:30 PM
thanks Glenn, I'll try more pressure.:)

Doug Shepard
02-04-2007, 8:55 PM
Glenn got it. Clamp the stock to the backer board. The other thing I do is do the opposing pieces at the same time with the best (outer) faces facing in to each other. Any tearout will be confined to the inside of the box where you're not like to see it. Plus it takes half as long to cut them that way. The only side that doesn't end up getting a backer is the one the blade enters, and tearout isn't as likely there unless something strange happens pulling the jig back to the front.

Bob Reda
02-05-2007, 6:13 AM
I just read an article in one of the magazines that not only are they using a backer board they are putting a waste piece on the front also. I get some tearout in the front when doing dovetails, and box joints.

Bob