PDA

View Full Version : Went to the Chatham wood show yesterday

Rick Gibson
02-04-2007, 6:27 PM
Went to the Chatham wood show Friday afternoon and watched the guy demo the woodline Route-R-Joint 4 or 5 times. I could hear it calling me "buy me, buy me" every time. So I did. The wife was with me and I even had her approval. Spent Saturday afternoon changing the router table so I could use it and this is probable the 4th attempt with some scrap pine I had laying around. I was impressed but then again I am easy to impress. I think this system is going to get a lot of use for all the boxes and drawers I do. They will be at the Toronto show next.

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57012&stc=1&d=1170631453)

Carl Eyman
02-04-2007, 6:45 PM
Looks like one heck of a good joint. How about a picture of the tool.

Rick Gibson
02-04-2007, 7:32 PM
Ok here it is. Not much to look at but it works. The jig is in the foreground with the vertical fence sitting on it. Kit I purchased comes with 7 templates for different shaped joints including blind and half blind dovetails. The joint shown was done with a staight upcut router bit (included) and the brass bushing (included) The kit came with 3 brass bushings, 2 router bits (the straight one and a 14 deg. dovetail) and a brass bar for setting the dovetail bit height. At the back of the picture is one of 3 fence systems for doing finger joints on the router. Tried it and it works like a dream. Took a little longer to set up though. Comes with a lifetime warranty on router bits and the various templates and a DVD for each kit on use and set up. If you are making stuff for kids they have a template that makes a joint shaped like a teddy bear, I didn't get it though.

Chris Curry
02-04-2007, 9:30 PM
Rick:
How much did they want for it ? I am planning on going to London on Saturday. Woodline has been a great addition to the circuit! They went home with bags of my money from Woodstock. I'll have an eye out for this jig. Thanks for the heads up.
Kind regards, Chris

Don Bullock
02-04-2007, 10:36 PM
That sure looks simple. Is it as easy as they claim? It sounds too good to be true.

I'll definately have to look at one at the WoodWorks show in Ontario, California this month. I see that Woodline will be there.

Rick Gibson
02-05-2007, 8:33 AM
Chris the kit I bought was $265 Cdn. It included the Spacer fence system for doing finger joints and dovetails at $99 ($139 US on their website) by itself and the Route_R_Joint system which was $179 by itself. The show kit with both included 4 extra sets of templates. Someone asked the rep about London while I was there and he said no. Their next show in Ontario is Toronto.

Don it really is just as easy as they claim.

Chris Bolton
02-05-2007, 11:45 PM
That looks pretty similiar to the setup that the Bob and Rick from the TV show "The Router Workshop" use.
There a brief video at the following link.
http://ca.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=RTS-LDS-

Rick Gibson
02-06-2007, 9:23 AM
Pretty close to the same thing. They use an indexing pin where the kit I got uses 2 templates which are automatically indexed to the side. Works well and I don't have to control the router and worry about tipping it which I have been known to do.