PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a saw from a pro?

Tom Peterson
11-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Just needed a little nudge from the previous post. For an upgrade, I think I will go with a cabinet saw. My question would be should I consider a used piece. In my area, I have a Unisaw and PM 66 (each 5 Hp)for sale from cabinet shops. Each is about ten years old, but could be had for a lot less than new, less than $1k. Much more saw then I need, but less than a new than a 3 HP cabinet saw.

Dave Hammelef
11-29-2003, 10:24 AM
Go look at them. Some people run them hard and put them away wet. Others maintain them very well because its a significant investment. Why are they selling them. Because we buy new ones every 10 yrs -- Might imply they dont do much maintainance. In general I dont think it would be much different from buying it used from anyone else.

Ed Marks
11-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Like Dave says, go take a look. Find out why the person selling it is doing so. Could be that the 5HP saw is being replaced with a Felder or something like that. I purchased by drum sander from a shop that had upgraded to a large belt sander. It's worked fine. It really helps if you know what you're looking for and can check it out (running) before you plunk down the cash. For a TS, I think I would just want to walk through an alignment looking for things that are really out of whack, especially with the arbor and fence since they are not easy to correct. Another good thing is to see if the seller is going to be around afterwards. The few big things I've purchased this way have been from other local guild members which makes it somewhat difficult to cheat the buyer. After all, the seller and buyer will see each other lots of times in the future.

Jim Harsha
11-29-2003, 12:00 PM
You may have done this but the 5HP may be 3 phase power and could cause problems in a home shop setting.

Ed Falis
11-29-2003, 2:19 PM
Go look at them. Some people run them hard and put them away wet. Others maintain them very well because its a significant investment. Why are they selling them. Because we buy new ones every 10 yrs -- Might imply they dont do much maintainance. In general I dont think it would be much different from buying it used from anyone else.

Could be a matter of depreciation, too.

- Ed

Tony Falotico
11-29-2003, 9:14 PM
Check out the power requirements, the newer 5 HP are three phase, not very useful in most home shops.

There has been a fairly new one in South Florida advertised for the last couple months, started at $1500, was down to $895 last I looked. Problem is, I don't have three phase power at the house. An electrician friend told me to forget about it.

Paul Kunkel
11-29-2003, 9:53 PM
When I get ready to retire my Griz 1023 (12 years old now used commercially), you wouldn't want it. Reason: I maintain the saw, replace parts as needed , keep spares, etc. If I were to think about selling it, I'd loose interest and let it go. Why not buy a new Griz., less than $1000, good warrantee, Last you a lifetime!

Tom Peterson
12-01-2003, 9:16 PM
thanks for the feedback. As suggested, I checked out the Unisaw(the PM went quickly). It is indeed a 3 phase machine, that was used as a utility cutting machine in a pattern shop. It is an older vintage saw but is in good shape and runs quiet and true. Looks as though I can get this saw for ~$400. It has a Biesemeyer fence with rear outfeed and side extensions. I could get a converter ($200) or buy a new motor ($390) and make it usable. So is your advice the same, dig deeper or buy new. Buy new opens a whole new thread of questions.

thanks

Paul Kunkel
12-01-2003, 10:20 PM
thanks for the feedback. As suggested, I checked out the Unisaw(the PM went quickly). It is indeed a 3 phase machine, that was used as a utility cutting machine in a pattern shop. It is an older vintage saw but is in good shape and runs quiet and true. Looks as though I can get this saw for ~$400. It has a Biesemeyer fence with rear outfeed and side extensions. I could get a converter ($200) or buy a new motor ($390) and make it usable. So is your advice the same, dig deeper or buy new. Buy new opens a whole new thread of questions.

thanks
Tom, If I were to spend hard earned cash on a saw of vintage, replace motor, etc. ,I'd also rebuild the arbor, new bearings, tighten & or replace motor mount bushings, etc. It runs into $$$ every time one restores vintage anything. BTDT with saws, shapers, jointers, & cars. It can get frustrating & expensive. You want a tool that will cut accurately & safely out of the box or else be willing to spend a lot of time tuneing, & rebuilding.

Wes Bischel
12-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Tom,

This saw can be very useful in a home shop at a very low cost - it can also become an expensive boat anchor. It really comes down to what you feel comfortable tackling. If you are going to run your own 220, wire up a phase converter or scrounge for a used 110 1ph motor etc. it can be a great deal - extra sweat equity, but a deal. If the time or know-how is not in the cards right now, it will get expensive quick. Then it may be better to buy new. I would equate it to buying a car - weigh the pros and cons of new vs used, what it's going to be used for etc. etc.

I tend to buy old - when I think I know what I'm getting into. :rolleyes:

Wes

Jason Roehl
12-02-2003, 7:02 AM
I tend to think of it this way. I'm a die-hard tinkerer, and in the past would have jumped at a chance to futz with a saw like that if I could get it cheap. But, kids, business and other things have put a severe drain on my time and energy, so I have resolved that I will no longer "buy projects." I've been much happier buying new tools that are ready to go right out of the box with minimal set-up time.

After all, are you doing this to buy and tinker with woodworking tools, or are you doing this to woodwork?