PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Dust Collection Problem

Rob Will
02-04-2007, 6:15 PM
I hooked my Moak 36 up to a new HF DC. Unfortunately, sawdust goes everywhere.

Both of the saw's DC ports are hooked up to a 4" suction line.

The saw is equipped with a 1-1/4" 1.3 TPI blade. When I start a cut, especially a resaw cut, I can see stuff flying everywhere.

The DC appears to be functioning correctly.

So what is going on here? Is a HF DC capable of keeping up with a big bandsaw?

Is it possible to contain the majority of dust from a bandsaw?

Thanks,
Rob

Ron Brese
02-04-2007, 6:43 PM
When I got my Bridgewood saw I hooked up to both ports only to experience the same as you. I plugged the lower one and left the one just below the guide blocks hooked up and then built a box that surrounds the area just under the table and hooked the other 4" line to it. Now it pulls down thru the throat plate and the only time I get any dust is right at the beginning of the cut and it is minimal. Even the newer saws are not really set up very well for dust collection. The box I made would not work if the table were tilted at an angle but that is not very often for me. Resawing was my main concern and this works remarkably well for me. My saw does a great job of resawing and I attribute some of that to good dust collection. I think dust collection is an overlooked area in resaw performance.

Ron

Pete Bradley
02-04-2007, 7:01 PM
It is possible to contain the majority of dust. However, starting a tall resaw has a tendency to throw around a lot of dust above the table. If you're not having problems once the cut is in about an inch, your experience is typical. The worst is doing a resaw that comes out the side of the piece during the cut such as with a wavy board. I've had modest success for messy cuts by putting an inlet above the table as well as below.

Pete

Wilbur Pan
02-04-2007, 11:49 PM
It depends on a lot of things -- which dust collector you have, how long your 4" duct run is, and what the ducting is made of are the major ones. However, I can say that the HF DC specs are optimistic at bet. Even though it may say that your DC can pull XXX CFM, it probably isn't anywhere near that once you hook up a 4" duct to the DC.

Rob Will
02-05-2007, 12:19 AM
The HF DC is a $169 quick fix while I get the new shop set up. Do you guys think that a better DC, possibly a cyclone would help the bandsaw situation?

lou sansone
02-05-2007, 4:40 AM
rob
I use a 3 hp industrial onieda cyclone and it seems to work fine on my moak 36. there might be a little spray, but not a real big deal

lou

Jim Becker
02-05-2007, 8:47 AM
Can you remove the inlet plate on the DC to increase it to 6"? Two 4" ports on one 4" line can't move much air...and that's the point of dust collection. You're upper limit for the 4" hose to the blower is about 300-350CFM tops. You need more like 800 real CFM to be even somewhat effective with both ports/hoods in operation.

Rob Will
02-05-2007, 7:31 PM
Can you remove the inlet plate on the DC to increase it to 6"? Two 4" ports on one 4" line can't move much air...and that's the point of dust collection. You're upper limit for the 4" hose to the blower is about 300-350CFM tops. You need more like 800 real CFM to be even somewhat effective with both ports/hoods in operation.

I suppose that calls for a 6" duct down to the point where the two 4" lines branch off?

Lou, I have seen the picture of the two 4" lines on your Moak. How big is the line where they connect?

Thanks,
Rob

Tom Hamilton
02-05-2007, 8:26 PM
Hey, Ron can you post of pic or three of your solution? I'd love to see the detail.

Thanks, Tom