PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Outside Of The Box – My First Table – Pic

Glen Blanchard
02-04-2007, 3:58 PM
Well, I ventured into previously uncharted territory, and built something other than a box. I built a small table on which to place one of my boxes. I did not have a plan, and pretty much had in my mind what I wanted to do. My primary concerns were (1) getting pleasing proportions and (2) deciding if this piece needed stretchers. After posting a query about the stretchers, I received many helpful responses, and as a result, did not build stretchers into this project. Its dimensions are 34”H x 17” L x 12” W. It is not anything special really, and is quite simple, but marks a kind of milestone in my woodworking. I will continue making my boxes, as that is what I enjoy (and have room to do in my small shop) but it is nice to know that I can build something other than a 4 sided container.

http://smilesrus.com/woodworking3/IMG_0229.jpg

Ed Nelson978
02-04-2007, 4:04 PM
Glen, I really like that! Sometimes simple makes for the most elegant pieces. Good job!

Jim Becker
02-04-2007, 4:08 PM
Very nice, Glen! I'm glad you didn't do the stretchers....I think that would have added to much material and made the piece look to heavy. They are not needed for something of this size and purpose, either. Great job!

Don Bullock
02-04-2007, 4:30 PM
Very nice, Glen! I'm glad you didn't do the stretchers....I think that would have added to much material and made the piece look to heavy. They are not needed for something of this size and purpose, either. Great job!

I definatelt agree with Jim. Streachers would not have enhanced your design at all. The table is beautiful and one of your boxes will look great on top of it. Nice design and execution.

Blake Holton
02-04-2007, 4:56 PM
Nice lines and proportions. I'd like to see a picture of the box on the table when you are finished!

-Blake

Ted Shrader
02-04-2007, 5:00 PM
Glen -

Very nice lines and proportions. Excellent choice of wood, the grain is beautiful.

Well done,
Ted

Glen Blanchard
02-04-2007, 5:24 PM
Nice lines and proportions. I'd like to see a picture of the box on the table when you are finished!

-Blake
Here is a quick pic.

http://smilesrus.com/woodworking3/IMG_0231.jpg

glenn bradley
02-04-2007, 5:47 PM
No strechers was definitly the way to go on this one. Great looking piece. How did you do the narrow flutes on the legs?

Corey Hallagan
02-04-2007, 5:51 PM
Very nice Glenn! That's a beautiful table and fine craftsmanship! Now back to the boxes :) I love them!

Corey

Jeffrey Makiel
02-04-2007, 6:02 PM
Glen...I like your stuff!
-Jeff :)

Glen Blanchard
02-04-2007, 6:11 PM
How did you do the narrow flutes on the legs?
I used a router bit that is just like the top half of this one. Not sure what it is called. Beading bit?

https://store.woodline.com/v2/pc-1195-76-corner-edge-beading-bit-516-diameter-bead-34-cutting-length-14-shank.aspx

Mike Parzych
02-04-2007, 6:52 PM
The flutes are a real good choice. I find most pcs. that are made entirely of curly maple look "overdone" with figure. The flutes draw attention and break up the all figured piece.

Mike Jobe
02-04-2007, 7:03 PM
Excellent work, really shows off that beautiful grain