PDA

View Full Version : Small dunnowood bowl....

Barry Stratton
02-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Here's a little bowl I just finished. It is about 4" wide, 1 1/2 tall and 3/16 thick sides with more beef on the bottom due to the narrow "footprint". Sanded thru 800 with 4 coats of Min Wax wipe on poly. Dunno wood, but I think it is oak.....

My wife LOVES these small bowls.......

I learned I need better light in the garage as it still has some faint sanding scratches, and I left a "bump" on the side that I shouldn't have.

Any and all comments appreciated........Thanks.

Dennis Peacock
02-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Very pretty piece Barry. Looks like a white oak to me. Very nicely done sir. :cool: :D

Tom Sherman
02-04-2007, 12:05 AM
I agree with Dennis Barry, looks like White oak or maybe Ash. Whatever it is it looks very cool.

Steve Schlumpf
02-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Nice looking bowl Barry. I like the form, finish and the rim. Could the bowl be Ash? Looks like Oak but I didn't see the 'rays' that I associate with it.

Either way, nice looking bowl!

Jason Solodow
02-04-2007, 12:21 AM
My 0.02 is that it's Ash... Looks great though! Nice form..

Johnathan Bussom
02-04-2007, 12:55 AM
NIce looking bowl Barry, now you just send that down here to Pa. and I'll just let you know for sure what kind of wood you are working with and won't charge you a thing! Looks like Ash to me but then I haven't turned any white oak.

John

Jonathon Spafford
02-04-2007, 1:12 AM
Beautiful bowl! Nice shape!... I would think it is ash. The grain looks different then oak.

Paul Geer
02-04-2007, 8:07 AM
How about hickory, I could be wrong, but it looks like hickory in the pix.

John Hart
02-04-2007, 8:12 AM
I'll have to go with the "I think it's Oak" crowd. Nicely done Barry. I have a dream to make a full salad set kinda like what you've done here. I'd like to get it done by thanksgiving. Somehow, I don't think the minor sanding scratches matter that much in a utilitarian piece....except maybe for personal quality and perfection reasons.

George Tokarev
02-04-2007, 8:54 AM
Mine for ash/pecan/hickory, because of the lack of rays. Of course, I've been fooled by photography of beech before;) . Oak would smell acid when you set up the grain with water, so you would know best which camp it falls into.

Since sanding is about getting scratches low in visual contrast after getting the surface level, you should try sanding along the grain with the final grit after setting up with a wet rag. Bowl should be in your lap, not on the late, so you can follow the light better. It's a PITA to accomplish with regular folded paper, but the soft cloth-backed types or the sanding sponges work pretty well, making a surface free of burnishes to stand out against the merely sanded.

Your surface is your choice. Some sandblast and call it "Art," and still others paint for a no-contrast surface and call it "Charlie."

Bernie Weishapl
02-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Dunno either Barry but it is sure a nice looking bowl. I like the simple features and finish. Nice job buddy.

Ron Chamberlin
02-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Good looking bowl. Most of mine are small also. I like the rim especially.

Jim Ketron
02-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Nice Job Barry!
Love the shape and rim.
As for sanding there are plenty of ways to do the same job it gets better with time, you will find what works best for you and it will get easier on each following piece.
Keep up the good work, and things will fall into place!

Christopher K. Hartley
02-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Barry, I have to join the ranks of those who guessed White Oak, but then, that is just an my opinion. The reason I think it's Oak is the little breaks in the grain lines are indicative of the White Oak that I turn. Nice little bowl and I like that the finish didn't yellow the wood. Good Job!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Pretty little bowl Barry! Looks like Dunno wood to me too!

Mark Pruitt
02-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Yup, that's definitely Dunnowood, and it sure is pretty! I like it a lot!

Curt Fuller
02-04-2007, 2:02 PM
Pretty darned nice dunnowood bowl.

William Bachtel
02-04-2007, 4:46 PM
Not Oak or Ash, looks closer to Sassafras, might even be Chestnut. Is the wood light in weight and easy to turn?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-05-2007, 4:18 AM
Very nice Barry, I'm not so taken by the edge, but each to his own.

Nice thing about Dunno wood is you don't have to worry about it, if it is some big time expensive exotic.......:eek:

Nice shape.

:D

Keith Burns
02-05-2007, 7:59 AM
Great bowl Barry. Great form, great job !!!:) :)

Barry Stratton
02-05-2007, 10:37 AM
THANKS for the compliments folks and it is good to see the clear cutter of Tokyo back!!! (MISSED YA STU!)

This stuff turned pretty easy when dry, and it had a sourish smell to it which made me think of oak........ Oh well, on to the next one.....at least I KNOW it is maple:D

Jerry Strojny
02-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Nice looking bowl Barry...Turning is on of the next things on my list.