PDA

View Full Version : My first heavy old iron! (just a little gloat)

Kristian Wild
02-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone,

As a few of you who post pics and acquisition stories of old heavy 'arn may know, I have a bit of a love affair with the old machines. Well maybe more like a teenage crush, given that until today I've been a heavy iron virgin.

I can officially say that my collection started today! (even though I don't have a shop of my own yet to put it in.) At a Vancouver machinery auction I managed to charm this lovely Canadian Buffalo #18 (18") drill press into coming home with me. I plan to strip off the several layers of over paint and take it back to it's original glory. I think it was grey in it's first life, but maybe something a little flashier for this century. When I pulled off the strip of duct tape on the top the brown paint came off with it revealing the original decal underneath. Even in it's rusted state the table tilt and lift works smoother than the Delta 18" press we use at work.

The only missing parts appear to be the chuck and taper (which I picked up at KMS tools on the way home for $30) and the original rear belt cover(you may have been admiring the stunning aftermarket sheet metal and plywood one).

I had to attack it right on the auction hall floor with my wrenches and sockets to break it into reasonable pieces to fit into the Subaru wagon. Needless to say the car was ridin' a little low on the way home...

According to OWWM it probably dates from sometime in the 1940's. It stands just over 6' tall. The motor is a Leeson 220v single phase 2hp. (Is it just me or is that a big motor for a DP?) Woops, see edit below pics.

As you've probably figured out I'm very excited! Any feedback/ personal experience with these machines appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry, misinformation. I read the grungy tag on the motor incorrectly. It's actually a Leland 3/4hp 110/220v (12/6A) 1725rpm, made in Canada, just like the drill. Five step pulleys make for 540-3235rpm by my calculations. The drill is from the Canadian Blower and Forge Company in Kitchener Ontario for those who are interested. Thanks for lookin'!

glenn bradley
02-03-2007, 11:36 PM
What a cool table raising mechanism. Great score!

Bruce Page
02-03-2007, 11:47 PM
She's a beauty. 2hp! Watch out - you won't be stalling that spindle!

lou sansone
02-04-2007, 6:33 AM
nice machine. looking forward to the "after" photos
lou

Mike Cutler
02-04-2007, 6:55 AM
It's going to be a beaut' when you get finished Kristian.

Nice gloat.

Don Bullock
02-04-2007, 9:04 AM
Nice find!! I bet she'll be a beauty when you're finished. You may not have a shop, but it sounds like you will very soon.

Jim Becker
02-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Very nice! I love the look of these vintage drill presses...a sense of style that's not there in today's products.