PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Wixey on a 22-780x & 22-580

Darrin Davis
02-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Just installed 2 Wixey Digital Height Gauges on our 2 Delta's today. I took a few pics since I have not seen any on the 22-780X.

1. Used 2 inch aluminum angle iron to attach the body of the gauge. Maybe a little overkill on the 2" angle iron but I wanted it rigid since it was only attached to the planer in one place. I didn't want a spring board.

2. Attached angle iron bracket to the base of the planer.

3. Made cutterhead bracket and drilled and tapped holes.

4. Attached cutterhead bracket and assembled to gauge.

The cutterhead bracket was made using sheet metal tools (roller, brake, and shear). I made it out of an old 36" aluminum ruler since I forgot to pick up a straight peice at the hardware store. The column that I attached it to was slightly tapered but didn't seem to affect the mounting.

I've also attached a pic of the wixey mounted on our 22-580. I didn't take pics since the wixey instructions tell you exactly how to mount it to this model of planer. I was skeptical at first about cutting the plastic case on the planer but after I did (on a scroll saw) and mounted the wixey gauge it is not really noticable at all. That was a relief. From start to finish mounting both gauges took a little over 3 hours.

Just a few words of advice. Make sure you attach the cutterhead assembly to the gauge when the planer is at it's lowest measurement. You could easily bottom the gauge out on itself if you don't. This information is on the instructions but if your like me you reach a point in the instructions when you think you've got it figured out and toss the instructions aside. Could of been a heartbreaking moment if I didn't notice the bottoming out when I started lowering the planer.

Alex Berkovsky
02-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Darrin,
Perfect timing... I just made the cut today on the 22-580. Quick question... did you have to epoxy the side cover? Mine is moving slightly up and down.

Darrin Davis
02-03-2007, 10:56 PM
No, mine is pretty stable when I put it all back together. I haven't noticed any movement.

Alex Berkovsky
02-03-2007, 11:18 PM
No, mine is pretty stable when I put it all back together. I haven't noticed any movement.:confused: I am refering to the planer cover that has the cutout.

Darrin Davis
02-03-2007, 11:21 PM
I am too. The black cover that you cut out a 7/8" piece on the actuall planer body.