PDA

View Full Version : Can a fiberglass tub be repaired?

Brian Elfert
02-03-2007, 7:37 PM
Can a fiberglass tub be repaired inexpensively? (Under $350?) Can it be done to not be noticeable?

I installed a two piece fiberglass tub from Home Depot today. When drilling holes in the flanges I guess the drill chuck hit the front of the tub and damaged it.

If It was up to me, I would just go to Home Depot, hand over another $350 and get another new tub. My helper refused to help with a new tub so I either need to get it repaired or find someone else to help with another tub.

My house is only five years old and it was built with two unfinished bedrooms and an unfinished bathroom. I'm finishing the bedrooms and bathrooms to sell the house. Personally, if I was looking to buy a house and knew the bathroom was brand new I sure as heck wouldn't buy the house with a hole in the front of the tub! It would take at most two hours to replace the tub now, but probably two weekends if the bathroom is finished since sheetrock and such would have to be replaced to replace the tub.

Brian Elfert

Charles McKinley
02-03-2007, 8:56 PM
Fixed yes, fixed so it looked good for a "new" bathroom in a house you will be selling no.

Put the new tub in now before you end out shelling out much more in negotiations with the buyer.

My though as a buyer would be" if he left "that" what else did he just slam togeather?"

Try to find a building materials recycler to donate the tub to. It may fit the needs of someone else.

David G Baker
02-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Fiberglass boats and car bodies are repaired all the time. If you are not much of a handyman you may want to call around to folks that sell boats or body shops that do fiberglass repairs to get an estimate. If there is a business near you that sells fiberglass supplies, give them a call and get ideas.
As a last resort you can spend the $350 for a new one.
David B

Brian Elfert
02-04-2007, 12:20 AM
My though as a buyer would be" if he left "that" what else did he just slam togeather?"

My thoughts exactly and this is why I want to replace the tub even though I don't really want to spend another $350.

My helper thinks that any potential buyer who rejects the house based on a hole in the tub is too picky and will find something else they don't like.

I think a hole in a bathtub is much different than say a ding in some sheetrock. I'll have to find someone else to help me replace the tub.

Brian Elfert

David G Baker
02-04-2007, 9:59 AM
My thoughts exactly and this is why I want to replace the tub even though I don't really want to spend another $350.

My helper thinks that any potential buyer who rejects the house based on a hole in the tub is too picky and will find something else they don't like.

I think a hole in a bathtub is much different than say a ding in some sheetrock. I'll have to find someone else to help me replace the tub.

Brian Elfert
Brian,
Where do you live? If you live close to some of us wood workers I am sure one of us would more than happy to replace your unwilling assistant.
I agree that a hole in a bathtub is not something I would want to tackle as a home buyer. I know what is involved in replacing a bath tub, it is a major job. Repairing a fiberglass tub is not a major job but you have to know what you are doing and do the repair before you finish the bathroom just in case the repair does not work.
David B

Wes Bischel
02-04-2007, 10:48 AM
I had a tub repaired in a previous home. Even after 4 years of use (primary bath) I would be hard pressed to find the repair. There was a company that specialized in fiberglass repair that came out to do the work.

FWIW,
Wes

Charles McKinley
02-04-2007, 1:40 PM
Hi Wes,

What did it cost? I know it can be done but to have a pro come out do the patch and color match plus the hold up time on the rest of the project I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Brian how big of a hurry are you in to get this done to sell?

Brian Elfert
02-04-2007, 1:55 PM
Hi Wes,

What did it cost? I know it can be done but to have a pro come out do the patch and color match plus the hold up time on the rest of the project I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Brian how big of a hurry are you in to get this done to sell?

I want to get my house on the market as soon as possible. I originally thought I would be ready by March 1st, but it will probably end up being March 15th or so. No pressing need to sell, but I am hoping to get on the market before the big flood of homes hits the market in the spring. Doing my own plumbing to save $3000 is slowing things down plus I keep running into other projects I didn't plan on.

I have about two weeks before the sheetrockers start so I have some time to find someone to do a repair. It would take easily 3 to 4 hours to replace the tub including getting one from Home Depot.

Brian Elfert

Charles McKinley
02-05-2007, 2:58 AM
Hi Brian,

Please post what the repair cost will be. I would be interested to know what the quote is vs. replacing the tub.

If it was my job I would want the repair done before the sheet rock so I could replace the tub if the repair was not satisfactory.

Brian Elfert
02-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi Brian,

Please post what the repair cost will be. I would be interested to know what the quote is vs. replacing the tub.

If it was my job I would want the repair done before the sheet rock so I could replace the tub if the repair was not satisfactory.

I got prices of around $100 to $125 to do the repair.

I was going to have it done right away, but the guy wants 68 degrees temperature and I can't do that until the sheetrock and roof insulation are in. I'll probably have to wait until the sheetrock is in.

Brian Elfert

David G Baker
02-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Brian,
Line the room with 6 mil plastic sheeting and warm the room with a portable electric heater. It is done all the time. I had cement work done in February in Mid Michigan. The floor of my pole barn turned out great. 6 mil plastic and a 150,000 BTU propane heater running 24 hours a day for 3 days.
I would do the fix prior to finishing the room, but thats me.
David B

Brian Elfert
02-06-2007, 8:24 AM
Brian,
Line the room with 6 mil plastic sheeting and warm the room with a portable electric heater. It is done all the time. I had cement work done in February in Mid Michigan. The floor of my pole barn turned out great. 6 mil plastic and a 150,000 BTU propane heater running 24 hours a day for 3 days.
I would do the fix prior to finishing the room, but thats me.
David B

I could get the room to 50 degrees easy by uncovering the heating vents, but 68 degrees would be more difficult. I had the temps up to 50 degrees on Saturday when it was -7 degrees outside, but my furnace was running non-stop.

I'm not going to do propane heat in that space again as I did that when the insulation was installed and all the water vapor froze to the ceiling vapor barrier.

I'm going to call the guy again and see if 50 degrees would be good enough. I doubt the repair stuff needs room temps to cure as it is probably epoxy or polyester resin.

Brian Elfert

David G Baker
02-06-2007, 8:58 AM
Brian,
I suggested that you use a portable "electric" heater. The set up time of epoxy or polyester resin is not too long and they generate a some heat themselves when they cure. I am not sure that 50 degrees is hot enough. If the resin does not set up properly, then you will have a problem.
David B

Brian Elfert
02-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Brian,
I suggested that you use a portable "electric" heater. The set up time of epoxy or polyester resin is not too long and they generate a some heat themselves when they cure. I am not sure that 50 degrees is hot enough. If the resin does not set up properly, then you will have a problem.
David B

My problem would finding a big enough electric heater. From experience, a regular 1,500 watt heater does virtually nothing to warm a 400 square foot space. Granted, I do have enough regular heat to warm it to 50 degrees.

I need to get some foam sheets for something else and I guess I could put them around the bathroom to help insulate temporarily.

Brian Elfert

Matt Meiser
02-06-2007, 10:36 PM
I'd wait until the drywall is done. Doing so before will guarantee another "oops" according to Mr. Murphy.