PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Vice Squad

Doug Shepard
02-03-2007, 7:28 PM
Well my new Workbench book (Lon Schleining) was in the mail today and I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the vise type choices for the bench ends. I'm going to hit that chapter pretty hard, but thought I'd see what folks opinions are here. I'm just in the research stages of a possible workbench build after my DC install gets wrapped up. This would be used mostly for small/medium furniture type projects. I do some Neander stuff already but would probably do more if I had a proper bench to do it on. The bench front choices aren't giving me any quandaries, just the ends.

Tail vises
End vises
Twin screw vises
Nyquist vises

What type's are better suited for what type of work? Is there a clear heirarchy of good/better/best or is each better suited to a particular purpose?

TIA

James Mittlefehldt
02-03-2007, 11:25 PM
I have a twin screw vise across the end of my bench, which gives me roughly 27 inches of clamping, sixteen inch on centre for the screws.

I use it for securing boards for cutting dovetails, to restrain shorter boards for jointing, and I clamp pieces of hardwood to use as a bench stop when planing. There are doubtless other things as well but that is what comes to mind instantly.

James Mittlefehldt
02-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Just thought of something else as well I also clamp saws in the vice for sharpening as well.

Doug Shepard
02-04-2007, 2:45 PM
James
Thanks for the feedback. The LV twin screw is actually one that appealed to me right away for the wide clamping reason you mentioned. Plus buying anything from LV is always a good experience. There sure are lots of choices out there. I happened to stumble across this site last night after posting. It doesn't really answer my questions, but looks to be a pretty complete listing of what's out there vise-wise.
http://www.workbenchdesign.net/rvises.html

Doug Shepard
02-04-2007, 5:40 PM
James
Looking closer at LV's instruction page online I ran into a question and cant seem to find an answer to it there. I'm trying to figure out how much overhang clearance is needed on the end to mount one. I'm thinking of using Noden Adjust-A-Bench end panels so would have to make the end extend past the leg panels. What's the distance from the outside vise face to the end of the vise screws? I realize some of this length will be eaten up by the thickness of the jaw faces themselves, but I can't seem to find that total length online.

Rich Stewart
02-04-2007, 7:40 PM
NASA project? Just turn wood.

Doug Shepard
02-04-2007, 9:05 PM
NASA project? Just turn wood.

No Additional Shop Area - yep it's a NASA project trying to make a bench fit.:D

James Mittlefehldt
02-04-2007, 10:26 PM
I couldn't remember myself so I went out and measured it, and it looks like 16 inches or so, but if you want a definitive answer just Email Lee Valley and you will know before noon tomorrow.

Doug Shepard
02-05-2007, 6:48 AM
Thanks. That's close enough. Just trying to allow for the overhang in figgering out Can I make one fit?

Brent Grooms
02-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Doug, I have a twinscrew in the box awaiting my bench completion. Let me know what measurments you need or, you can stop by one weekend...

Doug Shepard
02-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Doug, I have a twinscrew in the box awaiting my bench completion. Let me know what measurments you need or, you can stop by one weekend...

Let me know once you get it mounted. I'd love to stop by and see the whole thing close up. For what I was after right now, James 16" is plenty accurate. I'm just going through the basic math trying to figure out what I can slide underneath an Adjust-A-Bench at max height. So the desired space between the A-A-B single-rail brackets + the A-A-B backets/sides + the table overhang for the LV vise gets me a rough estimate of the bench length and lets me figure out if I can make one fit somewhere when the car is in the Shop. Still need to get the A-A-B bracket dimensions and a couple of other numbers to figure this out.

Thanks